Preview Elimination Final: West Coast vs Essendon, Perth Stadium, Thursday 05/09/19 @ 8:10 PM AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the AFL web site, so it’s official.

Ridley was held over from the VFL so presumably he’s highly likely to play if we want to stick with the same mix down back.
I would be surprised if Ridley made it into the team. Fantasia, Heppell, Stringer and Hooker to come in. More likely someone like Ham or Hartley holds their spot.

B: Ambrose, Hooker, Redman
HB: McKenna, Hurley, Saad

Last edited:
Well Gleeson is out. Hurley should be good to go though.

B Saad Hooker Francis
HB McGrath Hurley Mckeena
C Redman Merrett Shiel
HF Stringer Brown Tipungwuti
F Fantasia Mckernan Laverde
Foll: Bellchambers Heppell Parish
Inter: Ambrose,Langford,D.Clarke,Ham
Emerg:Hartley,Begley,Ridley

I would be surprised if Ridley made it into the team. Fantasia, Heppell, Stringer and Hooker to come in. More likely someone like Ham or Hartley holds their spot.

B: Ambrose, Hooker, Redman
HB: McKenna, Hurley, Saad
Well Ridley was held over so it makes no sense playing Hartley who is coming off a 5-day break when you can play Ridley, a defender, in his role. I believe none of the players who were playing last Saturday will be selected this week.

I went to the training session today. McNiece was training with the VFL group on the other oval.

Ridley was training with the main group.
Good.

If we were to play McNiece it would be as good as waving the white flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Ridley was held over so it makes no sense playing Hartley who is coming off a 5-day break when you can play Ridley, a defender, in his role. I believe none of the players who were playing last Saturday will be selected this week.
likewise it doesn't make sense to play an out of form Ridley just because he didn't play on the weekend. Think Francis is in front of him if OK to play.

FWIW playing Hartley on the weekend was pretty dumb considering Hurley is no certainty to play.

Gleeson out is huge. Means we probably can't play Hooker forward with Hurley/Ambrose/Francis as we'll need Franga to somewhat play his role as a medium interceptor.

People on BB said Hooker trained with the forwards. Today so it could still happen.
Hard to play him there if they play the 3 tall forwards and two rucks. If Gleeson was in we an manufacture him a match up if worst came to worst.

likewise it doesn't make sense to play an out of form Ridley just because he didn't play on the weekend. Think Francis is in front of him if OK to play.

FWIW playing Hartley on the weekend was pretty dumb considering Hurley is no certainty to play.
Francis was already playing against Collingwood so he's already in the side. Ridley is replacing Gleeson.

Well Gleeson is out. Hurley should be good to go though.

B Saad Hooker Francis
HB McGrath Hurley Mckeena
C Redman Merrett Shiel
HF Stringer Brown Tipungwuti
F Fantasia Mckernan Laverde
Foll: Bellchambers Heppell Parish
Inter: Ambrose,Langford,D.Clarke,Ham
Emerg:Hartley,Begley,Ridley
Can’t play ham in a final. He isn’t ready for it yet, look what happened to him in Sydney in a contested hard game.

Papers already stamped.
No reason not to hold him over as an insurance policy for Hurley.
Francis was already playing against Collingwood so he's already in the side. Ridley is replacing Gleeson.
Well, it's not certain to happen. My point is Ridley is out of form, and Francis could play an intercept role. It's not like we don't have a glut of players who could play off the HBF, why pick the one that's in the worst form of them all? Redman, Saad, McKenna, Frances will already be in defence.

Hard to play him there if they play the 3 tall forwards and two rucks. If Gleeson was in we an manufacture him a match up if worst came to worst.
We're not going to stop them scoring anyway. Kennedy, Darling, Ryan, Rioli and Cripps are difficult for even the best defence in the league. I don't see a great match up for Hooker anyway. Hurley takes on Darling. Ambrose takes on Kennedy.

Having Hooker and McKernan forward completely changes our forward 50 structure. It brings Stringer, Laverde/Brown, Fantasia and Walla in the game. A forward 50 of McKernan, Hooker, Stringer, Laverde/Brown, Walla and Fantasia is seriously potent. Going back to 2017 level of potency. It also stops McGovern from playing an unaccountable role. He's an excellent interceptor that can set up their play from defence. We need to focus on bringing the ball to the ground and forcing a stoppage inside our 50.

The only way we're going to win this is by playing daring football that plays to our strength.

No reason not to hold him over as an insurance policy for Hurley.

Well, it's not certain to happen. My point is Ridley is out of form, and Francis could play an intercept role. It's not like we don't have a glut of players who could play off the HBF, why pick the one that's in the worst form of them all? Redman, Saad, McKenna, Frances will already be in defence.
So who replaces Gleeson? Jok? McNiece off a 5-day break? Hartley off a 5-day break?

Francis is in the side so he won't be an in. Hooker won't replace Gleeson or Francis either IMO. I believe Hooker may be playing forward. I believe Ridley is the best option based on who is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back