Preview Elimination Final: West Coast vs Essendon, Perth Stadium, Thursday 05/09/19 @ 8:10 PM AEST

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we smacked them over the the other year Brown might have kicked 5 for memory, (memory could be hazy) maybe played his best game for the club, just used his tank to lead up at the ball, doubt gov had the fortitude or the structure didnt want him to follow.

He kicked 1.

What a memory!

i reckon it was the port smacking late last year.. half way there...

edit: bah he kicked 3

Maybe the second half against Adelaide this year?

I feel like our game style leads us to either losing big or winning small, and nothing inbetween. It sucks because we never seem to get full reward on the board for our periods of dominance, never kills games off. Then if the opponent adjusts, which they usually do if they outcoach us... we end up with backs to the wall trying to maintain the risky style in the face of constant pressure. Most other clubs are able to garner a lead, then switch to safe mode and hold it.

Having said that, ive got a strange feeling of confidence this week, despite the last time we met i do think we match up well against them, in style and in personnel. I genuinely think our speed worries them, and they are not a huge constested team which means we can break even there at least.

Obviously the killer is bombing high into their defenders, are we smart enough to not bail out like to the top of the square liek we always do in panic?

I second a post earler which suggested Ambrose take Darling then maybe make McGovern 'earn' his first few intercept marks, might think twice about putting his head in the hole. Plus we already owe him for last time when he dumped old mate into the fence...
That's interesting actually. I think it's pretty clear that our game plan breaks down altogether when our best rebounding players are simultaneously injured, as per the Dogs game, and also the Port game to some extent.

But I actually think our losing big/winning small thing is mostly the result of having to play Zac Clarke as our ruckman. With all the other injuries we already had we were still meeting expectations, only losing badly to great teams smashing the worst ones. But when Bellchambers went down we started this 'come from behind narrow wins against shit teams' thing and I don't think that's a coincidence.

What that tells me is that we have a couple of big focuses for the coming off-season; ruck depth, stat. rebound depth particularly in defense (cover for Hurley/Saad). Teach the rest of them to pressure and tackle even when Darcy Parish isn't playing. And the infamous fitness department needs an overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy is not in great form and is most likely playing with a few injury concerns. But we should be preparing for his best because he is still more than capable of a bag. Kicked 3.5 against us from 8 marks inside 50 in round 14. Hopefully we're ready for that.

The changes to the team from round 14 for us should be
IN Stringer, Gleeson, Francis
OUT Begley, Guelfi, Zaharakis

That is a huge improvement i reckon.

West Coast have some injury concerns with Kennedy and Hurn not 100 percent. They are trying to rush back Nic Nat who is not match fit but has the ability to destroy us so they will risk him. They will strongly consider bringing hutchings back from a hamstring injury due to his shutdown job on saad last time. They will also most likely bring Schofield back to the defence to help out Barrass who has lost the plot in his last 2 games.

Kennedy killing us and Saad being shutdown looks like 2 areas we could get immediate improvement on. Yeo dominated in the guts so they should be putting plenty of work into him. WC smalls feasted as well which is why id send Mcgrath back for a shutdown role.

Good summary.

Our likely changes from round 14 (assuming Naitanui for Waterman, Schofield for Hurn and maybe Cameron for Petruccelle from our last game):

In: Naitanui Barrass Rioli
Out: Hutchings Hurn Cameron/Petrucelle

I worry we will be too tall and unable to stop your run from defence. Hope it’s a good game.

It's been a decade since our last 15 goal finals thrashing, we're due.

we are due to win a finals match against you guys. so one of two things will happen. we break our duck against essendon in winning a final, or essendon wins a final for the first time in over 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back