End of an Era: The demise of the Geelong Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Geelong period of domination is over.

We need at least 4 more threads on this, just so everyone is clear.

Seriously, no shit their dominance has to come to an end eventually, but they've won 2 flags and made the most of it.

These threads are pathetic.
Couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbsu: What they have managed to do over the last 4 years is very rare in the modern AFL. I salute them for giving me some of the best footy to watch that I've ever seen. I still think they'll be top 4 next year, with that pathetic rabble Hawthorn going backwards since 2008. I don't care what others say, Hawthorn fluked that flag.

You're gone. The new breed will arrive and you find it hard without Ablett. He will magnify your downfall. You will finish 5-8 next year and teams like Freo, Carlton, and Melbourne will replace you in the top 4.
I don't think I've ever lol'ed so hard.:D

Time to get some young players into the team and get rid of the people who are old. milburn is the first one that comes to my head

I'm amazed that the vast majority of replies to this thread come from people whose team finished lower than Geelong, including the OP.

That's because only Collingwood finished above Geelong and those guys are out celebrating.

But I have been thinking all morning, that Geelong which has an average age of 28 will need to think about rebuilding rather than keeping much of the team for next year. This will be heartbreaking because most of the older players have served Geelong loyally for years, and asking them to leave will hurt.

Without Gary Ablett, Geelong will not be able to win the flag next year, and even with Ablett, that's doubtful simply because age catches up with many of the guys there.

It will also be interesting whether Bomber will go to Essendon or remain at Geelong - I don't really know the answer to this.

But let's face it, Geelong has been a mighty team for the past 4 years, and nobody can deny that. Bloody champion team. :thumbsu:

Oh, I understand now, so because we lost by lots to Geelong, it means 100% we would have had the exact same result against Collingwood, despite the fact we beat Collingwood at the MCG during the year, were the more in form team and had a week off and an easy Prelim.

Makes sense :rolleyes:

you also beat geelong in round 21, so that's a shit point :thumbsu:

I see alot of Tall Poppy's in here. If only your teams could have achieved what mine did over the past 4 years. Now who's laughing you dip shits. I saw my team win 2 flags. Winning a flag now is ALOT harder than in the 80s pre when there was no salary caps and only a handful of teams. Cats have one of the best win/loss ratio's ever. Jealous pricks, the lot of you.

Agree.

I would kill to see my team make finals consistently let alone win a flag for goodness sake :eek:. On top of 80 out of 100 wins or whatever it was. The saying "all good things must come to an end" is very true. Geelong couldn't stay up forever, a few of their players are getting on. It's only natural. People who bag Geelong for declining or losing are obviously just jealous of their recent success.

I raise you a bump Barney66. (Nice Thread BTW)

So many amusing posts;

Leave your tributes here.

Like the great lions teams earlier this decade the Cats dominaton is over.

The arrogance of sleeping during the club song, leaving a genuine ruckman out of a side whilst favouring a 60 game nothing player, the coach claiming the opposition is scared of them. Its all fallen apart.

They look slow, old, hesitant and generally inept. Their key forwrads are past their best with a 29 year old rookie the best they have uncovered this year.Their best player looks like he is leaving them. A favourable draw gives them 7 just about automatic wins at home a year - they only play interstate and bootom teams there.

RIP the dominant era.

It could be 10 years before they are a threat for a flag again

Well and truly over, won't make the 8 next season.

And this is only after reading the first page!

Well well well. Weeell well well. Wellity wellity wellity!

Knee-jerk reactions are rarely a good thing.

Nice to see David King issue an (albeit humorous) apology yesterday for his stubborn refusal to acknowledge Geelong was a legitimate flag chance at any point during the last few months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to see David King issue an (albeit humorous) apology yesterday for his stubborn refusal to acknowledge Geelong was a legitimate flag chance at any point during the last few months.

Probably worth adding the video;

[YOUTUBE]AsOGt4B9E_g[/YOUTUBE]

I hadn't seen that. That is brilliant, just brilliant

You are Geelong fan and hadn't seen my video!?!? :(

David King has seen it, and just 12 hours later he was making his apologies :D

You are Geelong fan and hadn't seen my video!?!? :(

David King has seen it, and just 12 hours later he was making his apologies :D
I haven't got around to YouTube yet; still watching the game with each commentary, then listening to the extended commentaries separately, then re-watching the game with the Ten commentary, then taking a day off, then doing it again. It seems I'll be spending my day off trawling YouTube :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back