Test England vs West Indies - 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Like I said, we were very ordinary last summer to lose a test to this team.

Apparently this match was the first time they have scored over 450 since 2015. The next closest nation is 9. Even when you consider home conditions/number of tests played that is a staggering stat. Until their ability to develop first class batsmen dramatically improves their test team really is never going to go anywhere.

Like I said, we were very ordinary last summer to lose a test to this team.

Apparently this match was the first time they have scored over 450 since 2015. The next closest nation is 9. Even when you consider home conditions/number of tests played that is a staggering stat. Until their ability to develop first class batsmen dramatically improves their test team really is never going to go anywhere.

As brilliantly as the West Indies performed at the Gabba, some complacency kicked into the Australian side. Declaring behind late on day 2 was unnecessary. There was perhaps some tiredness among the quick bowlers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wood gone to Seales, he is a terrible nightwatchman, now Root has to come in and face the music.

He’s done it 3 times.
Once against Australia he made 28, once against Pakistan he failed, and once here he failed.

terrible is probably a slight exaggeration from a sample size of 3.

You put the kiss of death on JDS mate. Since you said what you said Holder has not only outlasted him in both completed innings but outscored him.

He’s batting right where he should be. God I wish he could teach his teammates how to play spin. BUT….. I will say this.
Since that warm up game in Adelaide, da Silva seems to have remembered how to bat the way HE needs to bat and he looks much much better than he had for the 18 months beforehand and right at the moment he looks very safe in the lower middle order

Very interesting first day, again a missed opportunity for the Windies after a good start but the scoreboard says it’s a pretty even match and 1-2 early wickets on day 2 puts them in front in the game

This is the problem with Bazball. When it comes off it's great, when it fails it looks awful - as the shots by Crawley and Duckett attest.

Two great catches by Holder, after scoring 59. He had a pretty good day.

This is the problem with Bazball. When it comes off it's great, when it fails it looks awful - as the shots by Crawley and Duckett attest.

Two great catches by Holder, after scoring 59. He had a pretty good day.

That’s nothing new, though, and an accepted hazard of the approach.

Ben Stokes has literally the third best winning percentage in the history of test captaincy behind only Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting - and he’s less than 1 per cent behind Ponting. This includes 8 tests in India and Pakistan (and yes they lost half of those) and 5 against the world number one Australians, and another two in NZ at a time when they were the reigning world test champions.

People can criticise and complain about this plan all they want but plain and simple, it’s worked so far. There’s no argument to be had. With a mediocre side on paper, it’s delivered results whether it looks stupid or not.

I don’t think for a second that Ben Stokes is a captaincy genius though I do think his ‘nous’ is somewhat underrated by people who think he’s just an idiot who punched someone at a pub and says some silly things at press conferences. But they are a side bereft of too many world class cricketers over the duration of the time he’s been in charge yet they have a winning record that matches the sides Ponting led, which were stacked with champions.

Will that hold up for the same length of time? Remains to be seen. I suspect not, but who knows. Harry Brook probably can’t maintain the freak record he has at the moment but Ollie Pope might get better than his mediocre output has been, and Crawley has improved a lot in the last 18 months.

Remove this Banner Ad

Test England vs West Indies - 3 tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Back