Premier Lg EPL Matchday 15 & 16 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the Palace v Liverpool highlights. The second yellow I think he initially wasn’t going to give but must’ve deemed it as being reckless on a counter attack.

Not the normal sort of one you see get given a yellow on the counter but if he deems it a foul and it’s a counter attack is it an automatic yellow?

That would’ve been the referees thought process anyway.

A little unlucky but on a yellow card you need to avoid fouling on a counter attack.
I think Michael Owen summed it up best.

It's a soft yellow ordinarily, but if it's going to be a second yellow leading to a red, it's probably not enough.

VAR would have overturned it. It was clear and obvious.
Thats the same VAR who missed the clear and obvious penalty on Jesus? And the clear and obvious red card on Nketiah?
And about that, the ref didn't see the elbow on Nketiah, so was it VAR that told him to issue a yellow? I didn't think VAR could intervene for that, so shouldn't VAR have sent him to the screen where he would have likely got a red card.
But the ref absolutely doesn't see the incident so how he awards a yellow is beyond me.

Oh well, look forward to closing the gap on Wolves this week on the PGMOL apology table.

Just watched the Jesus incident and his exaggerated reaction was disproportionate to the level of contact. However my take on it and with these things I do actually try and be as neutral and honest as possible, considering all aspects.

Was their contact? Yes

Was it enough to make him fall down and justify the level of pain he was trying to convey? Absolutely not but there was contact to the back of his ankle. His reaction was embarrassing. (I know the counter argument is likely to be ‘this is how to make the referee see it’)

If I was referee and had the benefit of the vision would I give it a penalty? Yes but would also have a chat to Jesus to never go full Neymar.

Should VAR get involved in that one? No but I wish VAR was used much less and I don’t see it as obvious enough.

So I do think on my quick viewings that a penalty would’ve been the right decision but I also don’t think it’s a scandalous one.

Haven’t seen this elbow one but if it’s intentional then yes, if it’s careless/accidental and part of a jump then no. Elbows can be completely incidental, if it was deliberate then I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a red.

Completely biased here but the win against Everton for United papered over the cracks.

It took a one hit wonder worldie + pen to largely win the game when we were dominating in terms of xG and attacking prowess, we just couldn't finish.

Happy for Villa and their fans, similar club to Everton just in a good period of stability. The hope is we can emulate the likes of Villa/Newcastle once we move into our new stadium and increase revenue streams to invest more.

I do find it hard to take Arteta’s whinging and referee post-match stuff seriously as it’s a common thing from him when results aren’t favourable and a regular activity of his during games.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season to Arsenal, apart from Arteta a fairly likeable group. Definitely will finish above Villa anyway.

Completely biased here but the win against Everton for United papered over the cracks.

It took a one hit wonder worldie + pen to largely win the game when we were dominating in terms of xG and attacking prowess, we just couldn't finish.

Happy for Villa and their fans, similar club to Everton just in a good period of stability. The hope is we can emulate the likes of Villa/Newcastle once we move into our new stadium and increase revenue streams to invest more.
My perception of United and ETH is they seem to go a little better against sides who leave space and attack them more but really struggle when a side invites them to attack.

Just watched the Jesus incident and his exaggerated reaction was disproportionate to the level of contact. However my take on it and with these things I do actually try and be as neutral and honest as possible, considering all aspects.

Was their contact? Yes

Was it enough to make him fall down and justify the level of pain he was trying to convey? Absolutely not but there was contact to the back of his ankle. His reaction was embarrassing. (I know the counter argument is likely to be ‘this is how to make the referee see it’)

If I was referee and had the benefit of the vision would I give it a penalty? Yes but would also have a chat to Jesus to never go full Neymar.

Should VAR get involved in that one? No but I wish VAR was used much less and I don’t see it as obvious enough.

So I do think on my quick viewings that a penalty would’ve been the right decision but I also don’t think it’s a scandalous one.

Haven’t seen this elbow one but if it’s intentional then yes, if it’s careless/accidental and part of a jump then no. Elbows can be completely incidental, if it was deliberate then I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a red.
Yeah the elbow was intentional. It was off the ball, (game was being played further up field), and he hit game in the head/face.

Any day of the week it's a red.

We should have done better with our chances, undoubtedly. But poor officiating makes the result more difficult to swallow because there are instances where if things were done correctly, it might have been a different outcome.

Diego Carlos is the new Fellaini. Didn't he try and break Messi's leg a few years ago?

Seen the elbow - not sure what he was thinking, looked like he was trying to block his run but just carelessly did it with his elbow. I don’t think he deliberately elbowed him in the face just a horrible, dumb technique to block him but it was reckless and it’s an obvious red card because of the danger of it and how in control he should’ve been of the action.

I reckon Salah's shot was going wide before it took a deflection into the goal.
Maybe, but if you watch the vision, the ref was about to blow the whistle for a penalty for the Ward tackle on Jones (had the whistle to the mouth before the ball went in to the net). Ward would most likely have also received a yellow card for that offence which would have made it his second meaning not only a penalty but Palace would have been down to 9 players for the final 25 minutes.

As for Roy going on about Ayew's first yellow, he had conveniently forgot to mention that Ayew wasn't near the ball when the free kick was given but deliberately came in from the side and stood in front of it when he had no right to be there. Easily yellow worthy for being an idiot.

Pretty ordinary from Woy I thought having a crack at VVD. They were on for an attack and Awey clearly tried to stop him from taking it quickly. It was pretty obvious VVD would have played the ball quickly if he wasn't there.

Second yellow was one of those weird ones where if he hadn't been booked no one would have blinked at it being his first yellow but for some reason when it's a second there if often a bit more leniency when really there shouldn't be. Two soft ones but every team has copped that before and Ayew knew he was on a yellow when he made that tackle for the second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but if you watch the vision, the ref was about to blow the whistle for a penalty for the Ward tackle on Jones (had the whistle to the mouth before the ball went in to the net). Ward would most likely have also received a yellow card for that offence which would have made it his second meaning not only a penalty but Palace would have been down to 9 players for the final 25 minutes.

Something I find weird with football. You're correct, would have been a penalty and should have been a yellow but this all gets ignored because Salah scores even though it happens in play.

The other thing is and we see it often with VAR is when there is a chance that ends up in a corner or a free kick and there was something that meant if the chance was scored VAR would have overturned and the other team have the ball, yet if it's saved like Andersen's last night when he would have been done for offside by VAR. Yet the corner that results would have been ruled a goal if they score. I just think it's a weird position where one team would have been better having the other team actually put the ball in the net.

I'm not arguing it wasn't a valid goal, just the awarding of it to Salah. Usually if a ball is adjudged to be going wide before the deflection it is deemed to be an own goal. There's a committee that makes the ruling. Maybe there wasn't conclusive evidence?

Glad Emery is doing so well at Villa. Wished he was better supported during his time at Arsenal.

More poor refereeing decisions go against Arsenal. What's new.

Big games against Liverpool and West Ham coming up.

My perception of United and ETH is they seem to go a little better against sides who leave space and attack them more but really struggle when a side invites them to attack.

Nah we struggle against everyone. Even against Chelsea we gave up chances, they just can’t finish, but neither can we, game should’ve probably ended 6-6.

Was their contact? Yes

It’s absolutely a penalty. Even if he doesn’t embellish, it’s a penalty. You can’t kick the back of someone’s leg without getting ball.
I do find it hard to take Arteta’s whinging and referee post-match stuff seriously as it’s a common thing from him when results aren’t favourable and a regular activity of his during games.

Anyway good luck for the rest of the season to Arsenal, apart from Arteta a fairly likeable group. Definitely will finish above Villa anyway.
I agree on this though. Arteta is starting to wind me up with his behaviour.
Doesn't matter. Any time the ball hits the arm of the player who scores the goal prior to scoring it's automatically ruled out. There's no ifs or buts about that call.
yeah it’s a really silly rule. Saw Redknapp complaining about it too.

It’s absolutely a penalty. Even if he doesn’t embellish, it’s a penalty. You can’t kick the back of someone’s leg without getting ball.

I agree on this though. Arteta is starting to wind me up with his behaviour.

yeah it’s a really silly rule. Saw Redknapp complaining about it too.

I feel handballs should be treated the same for goals scored as everywhere else.

Seems like every time a team loses it’s the referees fault. Coping mechanisms activated.
We're going to get to the end of the season at this rate with 200 matches needing replay.

Woy was funny with his little rant. He seems totally devastated like he'd been cheated out of victory.

Yet the only marginal decision he could complain about is the second yellow on Ayew which to be fair, was there. He makes no contact with the ball and just brings Elliott down when we are on the counter attack. Pretty standard yellow.

Palace got an iffy pen, then Liverpool scored two fine, normal goals? Not sure what he's complaining about really.

We're going to get to the end of the season at this rate with 200 matches needing replay.

If we stick to the games where the referee has awarded a goal and failed to put it on the scoresheet we will be fine.

Only happened a handful of times in the tens of millions of games of professional football history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back