Premier Lg EPL Matchday 5 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

The consistent lack of consistency is the most glaring problem. So many examples across the league where delaying the restart doesn’t seem to be a thing, until it’s arbitrarily chosen to apply. I don’t believe the punishment is commensurate, especially when in recent years the threshold for violent conduct has considerably declined.

I have noticed the discussion of officiating has gone to another level since the Howard Webb tv show stuff. It definitely drives engagement and clicks. Almost every weekend I see across YouTube various official channels mark up a clip with the headline such as “should this have been a penalty?” alongside the thinking emoji and off it goes. The referees give off main character energy at times. I don’t get that sense at all when watching European matches or champions league football. Hardly notice them, VAR checks are so much quicker too. It’s a head scratcher.

Arteta yet again classless with his whinging to the 4th official after Trossard's deserved 2nd yellow.

As an aside And_ROOS seriously time to STFU now. You're embarrassing yourself with this continued Rice nonsense. Don't kick the ball away. Simple.
Was Trossard carded for kicking the ball away, or for the foul, seems the league and the officials couldn't come to a decision on this which is why the match centre said it was one, and the ref said it was the other.

In the 50 Premier League games played so far this season 4 yellow cards have been given for ‘delaying the restart’
William Saliba, Declan Rice, Leandro Trossard and Bruno Fernandes out of the 100 restarts have been delayed in those matches, but tell me more about how its not an Arsenal thing :$

Would like to hear the VAR audio on this one. Sounds like a 3 game ban if the incident was missed during the game.

If that was Havertz its a yellow minimum. But then again I guess thats what happens when Oliver refs games on the City owners dime, guess he must have just missed it. Very convenient.

Was Trossard carded for kicking the ball away, or for the foul, seems the league and the officials couldn't come to a decision on this which is why the match centre said it was one, and the ref said it was the other.

In the 50 Premier League games played so far this season 4 yellow cards have been given for ‘delaying the restart’
William Saliba, Declan Rice, Leandro Trossard and Bruno Fernandes out of the 100 restarts have been delayed in those matches, but tell me more about how its not an Arsenal thing :$
Wow it's almost as if arsenal have played 3 difficult away games and been hellbent on defending with 10 men and time wasting. Look at yourself before sooking at others

If that was Havertz its a yellow minimum. But then again I guess thats what happens when Oliver refs games on the City owners dime, guess he must have just missed it. Very convenient.
Again another sook, Havertz got nothing for elbowing rodri and once it isn't seen by the main ref Var can't interfere unless it's a straight red but again, sook.

Ha ha. Christ.

Does it matter what it was for? Seems to stem from the manager who thinks he can moan his way out of anything. Remember this is a guy who wasn't even given anything for calling the refs a disgrace because they bullshitted that "disgracia" in spanish isn't as bad, yet you can't hear disgracia.

based on his passing he would've missed

I think people also like to jump on whatever fanbase it is that happens to get regular decisions against them. It happened a lot with Liverpool and Spurs too.

It also wouldn’t be brought up anywhere near as often if there was consistency applied regularly.

This isn’t a rant; it’s simply stating is what it is. Arsenal have had favourable decisions before, and they will get them again. But recently, there have been some controversial calls, that have not been consistently applied to other sides.

There’s no point complaining about the referees IMO. The three main ones I can think of; Taylor, Gillett and Oliver are all consistently awful. The refereeing standard across the whole PL is poor, irrespective of who you follow or who you dislike.
The key with that was when Darren England was dogging Liverpool, Klopps pressure in the media has England removed from officiating their matches and they now only have to deal with Olivers incompetence when playing City.

Its also now overwhelmingly obvious that Oliver cannot be trusted with Citys matches against rivals.
Kovacic yellow card, potentially red card tackles V Arsenal last season were ignored because Oliver "didn't want to ruin the game".
Doku high kick in the Liverpool box on Mac Allister was a clear penalty with scores level, but Oliver again doesn't award a penalty and as is often the case VAR doesn't overrule whats happening on the pitch. Post match its agreed it should have been a penalty, but weird he is rewarded with officiating more big matches for City.
Trossard sent off for kicking the ball away 0.84 seconds after the whistle is blown according to SkySports, but also Oliver says its not for that its for the foul which is by no means yellow card worthy. And the City players in the match who kicked the ball away aren't carded which has the letter of the law crowd quiet.

Wow it's almost as if arsenal have played 3 difficult away games and been hellbent on defending with 10 men and time wasting. Look at yourself before sooking at others
Weird how you ignored the fact that out of the 100 odd time wasting incidents that have happened this season only 3/4 of them have been Arsenal players, are you saying no other team is time wasting?
Post match they said the ball was in play 2nd half for 35mins which is a season high, so tell me again how it was time wasting with the ball in play so much and in Citys possession for most of it :$

Weird how you ignored the fact that out of the 100 odd time wasting incidents that have happened this season only 3/4 of them have been Arsenal players, are you saying no other team is time wasting?
Post match they said the ball was in play 2nd half for 35mins which is a season high, so tell me again how it was time wasting with the ball in play so much and in Citys possession for most of it :$
I didn't ignore it, you just don't know how to read apparently. I'll tell you again, Trossard fouled a player and then booted it away it's 1000% his fault for being a dickhead. I watched both games against spurs and city, arsenal have had clear tactics to slow the game down and kill time you can't cry about getting punished for it when it's a tactic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You dont genuinely believe there has only been 4 bookings for timewasting this season do you?

As for timewasting. Good piece on it here.

It's annoying and frustrating when it happens (9 minutes wasted on David Raya goalkicks alone) but I understand why Arsenal would do it. Up to the ref to control it better imo.

And the City players in the match who kicked the ball away aren't carded which has the letter of the law crowd quiet.

You can see on the replay that Oliver signals for the free to be taken back where the offence was committed. Not ten yards forward of it where the Arsenal player was standing. Doku kicked it to where the ref told him to.

You dont genuinely believe there has only been 4 bookings for timewasting this season do you?

It's annoying and frustrating when it happens (9 minutes wasted on David Raya goalkicks alone) but I understand why Arsenal would do it. Up to the ref to control it better imo.
It's a disgracia.

Nice article.

A bit childish

Agreed. What would City have done if they were 2-1 up and a man down at the Emirates or Anfield?

Confused as to why this has generated such furore. It happens every week when a team goes down a man.
Newcastle defended doggedly against Southampton once they led, etc etc.

If Arsenal went too aggressive they would have lost the game and we would all be whinging about how arrogant they were, Arteta doesn’t have the same tactical ability as Pep etc etc.

You dont think he should face any punishment?
If it was seen on the pitch he would have got a yellow. So not sure why there'd be any further punishment now the game is over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier Lg EPL Matchday 5 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back