Premier Lg EPL Matchday 5 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I'd give the Haaland thing a yellow, I guess the ref didn't see it, and VAR shouldn't be getting involved in that and giving out reds or bans.
Agreed, unless particularly egregious.
That wasn’t what it was intended for, and not what football clubs and fans signed up to.

"This is 'minimal interference' and with the outcome of three matches being directly affected by the VAR intervention this is 'maximum benefit' and a fairer World Cup.

Fair. Needs to have a retroactive punishment then.
What would you suggest?

He's not the first person this season (or even this match) to get away with a potential yellow.

If they do that for a minor offence like that then they should do it for diving too.

I dont disagree with that.

Diving is more of a disrepute thing than potential injury, but I agree.

What would you suggest?

He's not the first person this season (or even this match) to get away with a potential yellow.
would treat it like a minor headbutt.
Headbutt is straight red.
Any other unnecessary contact with a players head is a yellow.

I dont disagree with that.

Diving is more of a disrepute thing than potential injury, but I agree.

would treat it like a minor headbutt.
Headbutt is straight red.
Any other unnecessary contact with a players head is a yellow.

Yes if applying the “letter of the law” stuff, then yes he threw it deliberately at a players head. And you could say he also delayed the restart. I mean I don’t particularly feel it warrants such a consequence, however this is the level of magnification that every moment seems to be dissected into in the current era.

I again point to that Howard Webb look at me tour he does with his show, which is little more than a propaganda tool to mask offer deficient officiating. I recall last year when Oliver didn’t send off Kovacic for a second yellow, the defence was he “didn’t want to ruin the game”. However then you fast forward to this stuff, and they shrug their shoulders with “ahh he had no choice”. They just pick and choose when this letter of the law stuff applies or not. Consistently inconsistent. They’re not fit for purpose.

Also will be interesting to see if this is still a thing in 12-18 months time. Every now and then they seem to come out with some kind of edict of what they’re going to clamp down on. I remember clubs being charged by the FA a year or two ago for surrounding the ref. That doesn’t seem to be as relevant now. I wonder what they will move onto next.

On another note, Rodri’s injury is a real tipping point for the players. He has been very vocal lately regarding the demands on players. They have little to no rest anymore, especially when they go deep in international tournaments such as the Euros. The game is a global product, and players are essentially being treated as assets.

Fatigue induced injuries can happen to any club, any player really, happened to Odegaard a few weeks ago and now Rodri. It’s a genuine concern that I note more and more of them are speaking out on. If anything though, it seems that more fixtures and tournaments are being added to the calendar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Premier Lg EPL Matchday 5 - On Optus Sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back