Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

we have 2 2nd rounders this year (currently 20 and 28), would consider 28 if the club were happy with him. the only WC games i have watched this year were the ones against us and can't even remember if he played so i have no idea of his form and whether he is completely over his injuries.

he is only 28 so you wold think he would have a good 3-5 years left in him. maybe throw in mitch brown and the deal gets done?
I think Mitch Brown is a free agent.

Suffice to say, WC would have to consider pick 20-something for Mackenzie. I'd do it.

So the question for other clubs is whether they want to give up pick 20-odd for that player?

If the shoe were on the other foot, I'd be pretty reluctant.

Players have poor games. I wouldn't be judging Mackenzie on his shocker against Collingwood any more than I'd be judging McGinnity on kicking 4 in a game once.

GWS on current ladder position will have picks 7, 17 and 35. We'll have 13 and 31.

31 and 35 is worth about pick 11/12 in academy bidding. Himmelberg (16) cost 4 picks from 48 onwards so even our 49/67 are useful.

If they were keen I'm sure a deal could be done to satisfy both parties.

Players have poor games. I wouldn't be judging Mackenzie on his shocker against Collingwood any more than I'd be judging McGinnity on kicking 4 in a game once..
Are you suggesting Mackenzie has had "one bad game"?

GWS on current ladder position will have picks 7, 17 and 35. We'll have 13 and 31.

31 and 35 is worth about pick 11/12 in academy bidding. Himmelberg (16) cost 4 picks from 48 onwards so even our 49/67 are useful.

If they were keen I'm sure a deal could be done to satisfy both parties.
GWS will actually have three first-rounders: their own, Collingwood's and Geelong's. But I don't see them parting with any of them in a deal for Mackenzie.

Are you suggesting Mackenzie has had "one bad game"?

I am. He's had an ordinary season, but he hasn't been consistently as awful as he was at the weekend. It was a real standout as far as bad games go.

GWS will actually have three first-rounders: their own, Collingwood's and Geelong's. But I don't see them parting with any of them in a deal for Mackenzie.

I'd give up 16 or 17 if I were them. Not going to upset me if they don't. Unless we go soft at the trade table. Again.

I am. He's had an ordinary season, but he hasn't been consistently as awful as he was at the weekend. It was a real standout as far as bad games go.
So he's had an ordinary season but has only had one bad game?

The reality is that he was dropped in June with Tom Barrass preferred. So he's been struggling for more than "one bad game".

I'd give up 16 or 17 if I were them.
Dreaming.

if brissy want emac i think pick 20 is whats fair. a fit emac at his best even at his age would be top 10 pick but even with his injury 20 seems fair, Im confident emac will reach some top form. Pick 20 is an end of first rounder so eagles could get a top talent that was overlooked for one reason or another.

Patful was 30 when he was traded for pick 31 a few years back. mackenzie is a better KPD but he has had an acl injury. I dont think he will ever reach his best from a few years ago but i think he well get somewhere close to it. Most of his issues this season has been confidence. Brissy should get 3-4 years with him and shelter their young KPD's from matching up on the best forwards in the mean time. Emac is also a leader so their young defenders/players will learn a lot from him.

Also Mackenzie is contracted so the eagles might not want to trade him. he worth more to us now than what a lot of clubs would offer him. We could just wait another year if a proper return isn't offered. In the mean time emac will have another preseason under him, where he gets back to his original size and he gets some confidence back into him self. Benefit of trading him now is that its a deep draft with a lot of midfield talent. Pick 20 is is enticing enough for us to snare a quality top end talent that may have been overlooked. On the other hand there's not many KPD's available in the draft.

Brissy will still probably look for others before deciding on whether to go for mackenzie.

Patful was 30 when he was traded for pick 31 a few years back. mackenzie is a better KPD but he has had an acl injury.
But Mackenzie has done SFA for two seasons.

Clubs aren't going to trade a relatively early pick for a player with that kind of question mark over him.

You should also bear in mind that the pick GWS traded for Patfull was one of six picks they had in the top 25 that year. That's not the case for any side this season. And Patfull was coming off 2-3 solid/very good seasons. Compare that to where Mackenzie is right now.

I dont think he will ever reach his best from a few years ago but i think he well get somewhere close to it. Most of his issues this season has been confidence. Brissy should get 3-4 years with him and shelter their young KPD's from matching up on the best forwards in the mean time. Emac is also a leader so their young defenders/players will learn a lot from him.
Sounds like wishful thinking.

That kind of pick would be the best-case scenario for WC in a trade. That doesn't suggest it's "fair" so much as "a really good deal for WC". Brisbane would be paying overs for a guy turning 29 who basically hasn't fired a shot for two seasons.

Pick 20 is is enticing enough for us to snare a quality top end talent that may have been overlooked. On the other hand there's not many KPD's available in the draft.
Sorry but there's no way that kind of pick is on the table.

I reckon it would be far more likely to get a late second-rounder, assuming a side in contention decides they need reinforcements in defence and are willing to take a bit of a punt on Mackenzie and back themselves to get 3-4 seasons out of him.

Last edited:
it is 100% certain IMO that the lions will look to trade in an experienced key defender or 2 this off season. we would not offer pick 20 up for eric, maybe our other round 2 selection we have from the saints (likely to be around pick 27-29).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If all MacKenzie is going to return was a pick in the late 20's or 30's (which is the likely outcome IMO) then it's highly likely that WCE will choose to hang onto him in the hope that another preseason removed from his ACL will allow him to recapture his best footy.
The chance of him returning to at/near his best is worth more than what he would likely return.
MacKenzie stays

Eric will be 29 years old next season, I'm not sure we would want to give up pick 20 for a player that old. Plus we can trade for guys like Mohr, who are cheaper and produce the same output as Eric. You guys are better of keeping him.

if brissy want emac i think pick 20 is whats fair. a fit emac at his best even at his age would be top 10 pick but even with his injury 20 seems fair, Im confident emac will reach some top form. Pick 20 is an end of first rounder so eagles could get a top talent that was overlooked for one reason or another.
Why would Brisbane want a 28 yr kp defender?

They aren't topping up for a crack at a flag are they?

GWS for a pick / pick upgrade is where the Eagles should be looking.

Mentioned this on the dogs board but if we cannot get Hurley, then we must must try and get McKenzie.

Room for Him, Adams and Morris as the three tall defenders. Our second rounder (pick 30) should be about right. Don't think the Eagles can ask for a top 20 pick for him.

west coast might as well wait another year if that were the case. schofield 30-40 would be a better trade for us. Plus im a fan of the barrass, gov and mackenzie combo.

i think we'll keep mackenzie, unless he's part of a bigger trade for a key midfielder.

his best is AA quality and the first year after an ACL is always rough for big guys... i'd rather we back him in to come good next year than sell his stocks cheap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back