Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends how highly we rate Barrass. I can't see us playing Mackenzie, McGovern and Barrass in the same team long term. Too inflexible.

Mackenzie is the sort of guy we should explore trading.

Koby Stevens for McKenzie??

Rumour on our boArd is WC are sniffing around Stevens and may want him back.

Try harder.

Well, that settles it.

Mate if the Dogs threw in a third rd pick or swapped second and third picks in your favour that'd be it IMO. Eric is three years older than Stevens.

At the moment neither player is overly exciting, but at least Koby has a BOG recently against GCS ( as opposed to Eric's WOG against GCS)

Mate if the Dogs threw in a third rd pick or swapped second and third picks in your favour that'd be it IMO. Eric is three years older than Stevens.

At the moment neither player is overly exciting, but at least Koby has a BOG recently against GCS ( as opposed to Eric's WOG against GCS)

We don't want Stevens, nor does Stevens want us.

Just Mackenzie or all of our players?
Strange question. Did I say anything about "all our players"?

I mean we got pick 31 for Matt Rosa, I'd say Mackenzie is worth more.
I don't think it's a given that we could get a top 30 pick for him. In light of that, we may as well keep him.

If someone were to offer pick 20-something, I'd re-evaluate. But I think that's unlikely.

One big difference between Rosa and Mackenzie is that it's now almost two seasons since Mackenzie played good football.

Strange question. Did I say anything about "all our players"?

No. You're adamant about Mackenzie, perhaps you are equally adamant about every player on our list.

I don't think it's a given that we could get a top 30 pick for him. In light of that, we may as well keep him.

If someone were to offer pick 20-something, I'd re-evaluate. But I think that's unlikely.

You know I said 'explore', not 'trade him for whatever is offered'? Pick 30 would be a very poor deal.

I think a team like Syd/Haw/GWS with a late first round pick that will end up in the low 20s might be interested.

No. You're adamant about Mackenzie, perhaps you are equally adamant about every player on our list.
Yes, I have a view on the trade values of our players.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

You know I said 'explore', not 'trade him for whatever is offered'? Pick 30 would be a very poor deal.

I think a team like Syd/Haw/GWS with a late first round pick that will end up in the low 20s might be interested.
You say it wouldn't be worth trading him for pick 30, so we essentially agree on the cost/benefit analysis.

Where we disagree is that you think a club would give up significantly more than that. I don't think that's realistic. A late first-rounder/something in the low 20s for a guy who hasn't fired a shot since 2014? I just can't see that happening.

He most likely won't be but if he helped us snag that other quality mid we are desperate for you'd have to entertain the idea though wouldn't you? I mean the whole WCE board and fans have been carrying on about snagging one but the only way we are going to do that is by giving up something that is quality. Sometimes to get the ultimate success tough decisions and sacrifices need to be made.

I hope he doesn't leave but I was curious to see what other people thought he was worth.

Be interested in hearing what quality mids we have now? Shuey I think has quality but I can't see another one on our list. We need 3 quality mids not just one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe not, but if you told me at any stage in 2015 prior to trade week we'd get pick 31 for Matt Rosa I'd have assumed you were taking the piss.
The difference is that Mackenzie has done SFA since 2014, due to a mixture of injury and now bad form, whereas Rosa was playing regular footy throughout 2015 and was probably our best player in our win over Hawthorn in the first week of the finals. There was real appeal there for a club looking for an experienced wingman. Pick 31 was a decent return for us but at least Rosa was up and running and playing at a reasonable level.

Who should we explore trading?
You could go through the list and most of them would be tradeable for the right price, wouldn't they?

The answer to your question is really contingent on whether anyone wants to leave (Lamb, for example?) or whether there's real interest from another club for a particular player.

I mean, I'd ship out Chris Masten without a second thought. But if the best offer on the table is pick 40, then we may as well keep him.

The difference is that Mackenzie has done SFA since 2014, due to a mixture of injury and now bad form, whereas Rosa was playing regular footy throughout 2015 and was probably our best player in our win over Hawthorn in the first week of the finals. There was real appeal there for a club looking for an experienced wingman. Pick 31 was a decent return for us but at least Rosa was up and running and playing at a reasonable level.

True, but Rosa was in and out of the side (+ sub) a bit in 2015 and his ceiling is a lot lower. Mackenzie in 2014 was an AA (squad) key defender, and those don't grow on trees.

I think GWS is the best fit. Davis is injury prone, Patfull is 32 and they're otherwise a bit light on. They'll have a late first round pick, Collingwood's pick and the ability to turn picks in the 30s into top end talent via academy selections.

But yes, given he missed a year and has been out of form there's every chance clubs will be trying to get him on the cheap. No deal.

You could go through the list and most of them would be tradeable for the right price, wouldn't they?

The answer to your question is really contingent on whether anyone wants to leave (Lamb, for example?) or whether there's real interest from another club for a particular player.

I mean, I'd ship out Chris Masten without a second thought. But if the best offer on the table is pick 40, then we may as well keep him.

People always throw up the usual suspects. Brown, McGinnity, Hutchings, Schofield... these guys don't have much currency.

Outside of our spine I don't see much trade value in our list. Our best bet is trading for minor pick upgrades and building via the draft.

True, but Rosa was in and out of the side (+ sub) a bit in 2015 and his ceiling is a lot lower. Mackenzie in 2014 was an AA (squad) key defender, and those don't grow on trees.
I think that is less significant than the fact Mackenzie has done nothing since 2014. That supersedes any talk of "ceilings".

I think GWS is the best fit. Davis is injury prone, Patfull is 32 and they're otherwise a bit light on. They'll have a late first round pick, Collingwood's pick and the ability to turn picks in the 30s into top end talent via academy selections.
If GWS offered a first-rounder for Mackenzie, I'd fall off my chair.

People always throw up the usual suspects. Brown, McGinnity, Hutchings, Schofield... these guys don't have much currency.
Zero currency.

Outside of our spine I don't see much trade value in our list. Our best bet is trading for minor pick upgrades and building via the draft.
Well, we'd get something for Sheppard or Yeo or even Cripps. But we should be retaining those guys and looking to fill other holes, not creating new ones.

i think our club should seriously look at McKenzie as we are in desperate need of an experience key defender (looks like, and most lions fans would like to see merrett retire).

mitch and nathan brown have also been discussed on the lions board as potential targets.

Would you be willing to part with a second-rounder?

Apparently you have two this year.
we have 2 2nd rounders this year (currently 20 and 28), would consider 28 if the club were happy with him. the only WC games i have watched this year were the ones against us and can't even remember if he played so i have no idea of his form and whether he is completely over his injuries.

he is only 28 so you wold think he would have a good 3-5 years left in him. maybe throw in mitch brown and the deal gets done?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Eric Mackenzie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back