Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Youve got to keep him as insurance for Hawkins

I think if Sav played FF - in the goal square - i think he would go allright - he would be a hard match up for the FB

And if Geel get rid of him - and he goes to an opposition team - thats where they will play him - he will go to a side who hasnt got a key forward - you look at Fremantle - theve got Lobb ( who has been bitterly dissappointing ) and Taberner who has been around forever - i think if Sav was FF at Freo - he would be better than those 2
Not a chance.

I think if Sav played FF - in the goal square - i think he would go allright - he would be a hard match up for the FB

And if Geel get rid of him - and he goes to an opposition team - thats where they will play him - he will go to a side who hasnt got a key forward - you look at Fremantle - theve got Lobb ( who has been bitterly dissappointing ) and Taberner who has been around forever - i think if Sav was FF at Freo - he would be better than those 2
Your underrating Taberner a lot.
And as for being around forever

He’s only 28

I find the team balance with or without Sav quite fascinating.

Before the Lions game I was adamant that Blicavs had to play 100% game time down back given we had Daniher and McStay to deal with.

In the end Daniher and McStay kicked 6 between them and were certainly strong contributors - but we were able to get the win with Henry and SDK doing enough in those roles.

I still regard Blicavs as our best KPD - in terms of purely stopping an opponent - and if we were to come up against a Daniher, King, Brown type in a final I’d probably want him to play back again.

But it was quite illuminating (in a good way!) that undersized Henry and 4-game SDK showed enough against two strong forwards, and that we could utilise Blicavs in a way that was an important factor in winning.

In other words, if Henry and SDK can hold down those roles all season (also noting that not many teams have two marking threats as dangerous as Brisbane), Blicavs can continue to float and Sav’s role is redundant.
Blicavs looked so much better as a utility. I’m back to my thinking of 3-4 years back that he’s wasted as a full back.

Blicavs looked so much better as a utility. I’m back to my thinking of 3-4 years back that he’s wasted as a full back.

I totally get the need to look for a future #1 ruck to replace Stanley, but surely Blicavs has repeatedly shown himself as our best #2 ruck/utility option, and we'd be better off finding a KPD to slot into our defensive unit

One major issue is that he Sav has a terrible set shot. Playing full time FF he could possible snag 2-3 contested marks a game, but given his accuracy that probably only equates to a single goal(if that). Best you can realistically hope for is to reliably bring the ball to the ground and let the smalls feed.

I find the team balance with or without Sav quite fascinating.

Before the Lions game I was adamant that Blicavs had to play 100% game time down back given we had Daniher and McStay to deal with.

In the end Daniher and McStay kicked 6 between them and were certainly strong contributors - but we were able to get the win with Henry and SDK doing enough in those roles.

I still regard Blicavs as our best KPD - in terms of purely stopping an opponent - and if we were to come up against a Daniher, King, Brown type in a final I’d probably want him to play back again.

But it was quite illuminating (in a good way!) that undersized Henry and 4-game SDK showed enough against two strong forwards, and that we could utilise Blicavs in a way that was an important factor in winning.

In other words, if Henry and SDK can hold down those roles all season (also noting that not many teams have two marking threats as dangerous as Brisbane), Blicavs can continue to float and Sav’s role is redundant.
Great points. More about Blicavs' role than about Esava's of course. I was pretty adamant before the season started that we shouldn't play Blicav's as a permanent FB. He influences the game so much more as a midfielder/utility. As a pure defender he may be able to take a good KF, but then he looks awkward with ball in hand on the last line. I think of him ideally as (to use a round ball term) a kind of 'box-to-box' midfielder. I'm glad that we've been prepared to throw SDK in the deep end a bit down back and give Blicavs the license to control the centre aerially and to use his endurance to get forward and back when we need. My main worry is if Blicavs is also providing back-up ruck support to Stanley, then it's asking a lot of both of those two to stand up across a long season. Esava, when he's in, takes a lot of that pressure off. I see his work in the ruck to have improved this year, and up forward with Hawkins and Cameron both playing, he's playing a team role, preventing them from getting double or triple teamed too often.

Sadly correct.... you would think he would look at our list and think, we're a bit thin in tall timber in defence

Plus I don't think Sav could make it as a KPD. Disposal isn't up to scratch, and I haven't seen much evidence of him being able to body opposition players when they have the initiative. I've always advocated patience with the guy given his obvious potential, but its coming to put up or shut up time, and while he does play a role within the team, that role is very limited due to his skill set. after 50 games he can be a C+ grade ruck (average tap work, excellent follow up work) or a C grade forward (can't generate uncontested marking situations, can't set up other forwards by foot, can't kick goals reliably).

Plus I don't think Sav could make it as a KPD. Disposal isn't up to scratch, and I haven't seen much evidence of him being able to body opposition players when they have the initiative. I've always advocated patience with the guy given his obvious potential, but its coming to put up or shut up time, and while he does play a role within the team, that role is very limited due to his skill set. after 50 games he can be a C+ grade ruck (average tap work, excellent follow up work) or a C grade forward (can't generate uncontested marking situations, can't set up other forwards by foot, can't kick goals reliably).

Blicavs was always a poor user. Stanley was too and was trialed there by St Kilda.
Some of Geelong's past players turned into champion defenders despite having average disposal efficiency. Lonergan is a good example.

Blicavs was always a poor user. Stanley was too and was trialed there by St Kilda.
Some of Geelong's past players turned into champion defenders despite having average disposal efficiency. Lonergan is a good example.
Longergan would just chip it sideways to running defenders.
The games changed in the past 10 years,
If you have poor disposal in the back half your not going to get many afl games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always had big wraps on him and was the obvious successor to Pavlich. Massive shoes to fill but never quite put it all together.
Turns 29 this year does Taberner. Older than what I thought.
Fremantle should inquire about Mitch Lewis in the off season. Offer him overs as he would be a great fit but I'm sure Hawthorn will sign him up long term.

I'm surprised you blokes didn't go after Mabior Chol to be honest. He plays the same role as Ratugolea except he's a superior player, and knowing how long you blokes have been trying to fill that 2nd KPF/2nd ruck position, Chol would have been the perfect fit while being an upgrade on Ratugolea.

I'm surprised you blokes didn't go after Mabior Chol to be honest. He plays the same role as Ratugolea except he's a superior player, and knowing how long you blokes have been trying to fill that 2nd KPF/2nd ruck position, Chol would have been the perfect fit while being an upgrade on Ratugolea.
I’m more surprised you came here to sprook that. Im not sure there would’ve ever been a consideration on Chol.

Though his much younger we have a guy Shannon Neale who has very similar traits to Chol.

Chol got a very good offer from the sun's. I don't think anyone expected him to improve as much as he has

It took too long but Esava was finally tried in defence and as expected he took to it like a duck to water. I wouldn't mind a dollar for every failed forward that went on to become a champion in defence.

It took too long but Esava was finally tried in defence and as expected he took to it like a duck to water. I wouldn't mind a dollar for every failed forward that went on to become a champion in defence.
You'd probably have enough coin to afford a 'Loose Change' meal deal at Maccas, I guess.

Mackie, Lonergan, Atkins come immediately to mind and heaps of other team players, McCartin, Liam Jones, Josh Walker. I could keep adding to the list if I had all day.
Plenty of players have made the switch, I agree. But the idea that any of the names you mention could actually be considered a 'champion' is seriously questionable in my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back