Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes still long way to go... but I'm going to sound like a little kid, but I did say we should try Esava in defence and 90% of people did laugh at me....
Yes mate and I was one of those people.
But don’t be one of those I told you so posters
They’re the worst, always preaching when they got something right.
A pet hate of mine.

I for one am actually happy the MC tried something different instead of the same failings

Thought he went OK yesterday, was a free hit game but you only need to watch our 2s to see we literally have zero depth in key defenders.

So I'm happy for them to try work on him over summer and plonk him there next year in the 2s and see if he can do it, list spots/potential to be traded obviously a factor, but should he remain on the list he could just be a KPD yet.. And realistically if he is to make it at the level he probably needs to turn himself into one

I have been a long, long time Sav basher.
I'm staunch of the opinion that he just can't ruck and his forward craft/kicking will always be not good enough to impact the scoreboard in the forward half of the ground.

But... I'd be down to just lock him in the D50 all of next year in the VFL (unless fully deserving of a game) and let him lean/develop as a key back/ Full back.

He could do a Liam Jones.

Sav has something... but it's not gonna cut it as a ruck or tall forward IMO.

So either take some kind of trade for him, because I'd think some other club would want to give him a chance on the cheap or give him a full pre-season as a full-back to learn and improve in that role.

FWIW I don't think trading him out for some random 3rd/4th rounder would be worth it because we don't have an overabundance of somewhat ready-made key position players coming through... Really just Neale and that is it.

Yes mate and I was one of those people.
But don’t be one of those I told you so posters
They’re the worst, always preaching when they got something right.
A pet hate of mine.

I for one am actually happy the MC tried something different instead of the same failings
You would never hate me would you 😲

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any tall make himself known yesterday? Early days but id say our talent pool is still shallow.
Sav can hold down a Key Defenders role.
Let's face it. It's easier to be a defender than a forward.. a key one at that.
Not many athletic spring heeled 6'5" blokes on our list let alone on any AFL club list.
Him doing that allows us many different possibilities with other player movements on the whiteboard IMO.
But time will tell. By the bye round we'll know.

I thought Esava did his job well after an encouraging end to last season… would be comfortable with him stepping into a role at senior level which looks likely if J Henry will miss games.

O Henry may not be a KPP but he was excellent and close to BOG. And of course, our best largely untried prospects in Neale and Conway are injured.
Sav did a reasonable job defending an abysmal Hawks outfit and last year I think against North he was OK, but those are data points taken against wooden spooners.

He looks like he's made progress but I'd like to see him played against afl level opposition

Not many athletic spring heeled 6'5" blokes on our list let alone on any AFL club list.
Him doing that allows us many different possibilities with other player movements on the whiteboard IMO.

Yes.

GCL..superficially id agree .Its easier to be a defender... speaking from personal experience , I always found it more natural to my lack of talent

but actually I think it depends on you natural talents blended with skills set. Somem players can play multiple roles, others are great at just one. Some forwards could not play back, I doubt Hawk could. Mayeb once but not now. Everyone says this position or that position is the hardest etc. but ask a rover to play ruck or a FF to run 15k's a game.

The trick for Sav imo... is that now he will not have the opposition trying to destruct his marking but he will have to be aware that if he misses the mark , its a big down side. When to mark, when to punch. Lets see if and how he handles that with big names standing next to him. I wonder how many goals Jez Cameron kicks on him in an internal practice match. He has made fools of better defenders than him. So he may suit some forwards and not others. Not unusual. I seem to remember HarryT getting carved up in a GF , and Domsie stepping in.

I think it was Buckley on SEN last year he was saying you can teach anyone to be an afl defender
But you can’t teach everyone to be a forward

He was playing against witches hat kids who he is physically bigger than. Need to see him against better afl forwards before we know whether he can work.

Sav did a reasonable job defending an abysmal Hawks outfit and last year I think against North he was OK, but those are data points taken against wooden spooners.

He looks like he's made progress but I'd like to see him played against afl level opposition

Do you mean his AFL match in defence last year - that was against WCE and not sure they were a great opposition

I though he showed some promising signs yesterday, but it wasn't against the strongest opposition - I'd like to see him get an opportunity next week(?) against Brisbane who I'd expect to be better opposition, and after last year's prelim may come out breathing fire

He was playing against witches hat kids who he is physically bigger than. Need to see him against better afl forwards before we know whether he can work.
I agree. and personally (as if my opinion matters) I am not convinced it will work. What I am convinced of though is that they will give SAV plenty of opportunities for it to work. They will not die wondering whether it can move beyond an experimen. And I think it is worth trying

Do you mean his AFL match in defence last year - that was against WCE and not sure they were a great opposition

I though he showed some promising signs yesterday, but it wasn't against the strongest opposition - I'd like to see him get an opportunity next week(?) against Brisbane who I'd expect to be better opposition, and after last year's prelim may come out breathing fire
Agree. i think they will make this an afl experiment for a while. With Henry potentially out for a while SaV may get a real good run to see whether it works against good opposition. Starting with next week

i don’t know how they pick 26 for next week if Duncan and Rohan are back. And maybe Shannon (although I would give him a run in vfl?)

they need to lose 3-4 players from last nights main squad which seems harsh. Jack Henry injured and maybe they rest 1-2 others? But Dempsey, Parf might have to make way? Not sure. Club knows best what it is trying to achieve.

That was the one. Marginally not wooden spooners then

Let's say Esava plays 10 games this year and ask to be traded for example to Port... if we got a pick between 30-40 we would of done extremely well, but sadly it be more like a pick in the 50s or 60s

Thats true but thats the gamble we took when we kept him and rejected pick 33.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back