Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

He was playing against witches hat kids who he is physically bigger than. Need to see him against better afl forwards before we know whether he can work.
So was everyone else then?? U can only beat who's on ya or in front of ya. We can nitpick all day. So we don't get carried away with Bruhn Bowes and Henry's outing then as they were all playing vs witches hats?? C'mon PO give credit where credit is due.
For now I'll take James Kelly's view... Praised his work yesterday and over summer. Thats all you can ask.

So was everyone else then?? U can only beat who's on ya or in front of ya. We can nitpick all day. So we don't get carried away with Bruhn Bowes and Henry's outing then as they were all playing vs witches hats?? C'mon PO give credit where credit is due.
For now I'll take James Kelly's view... Praised his work yesterday and over summer. Thats all you can ask.

None of those guys had a major change in position as recently as sav did therefore we have no form to frank his new role yet. Settle down im not criticising him. Just saying we need a bigger sample size against better opposition.

None of those guys had a major change in position as recently as sav did therefore we have no form to frank his new role yet. Settle down im not criticising him. Just saying we need a bigger sample size against better opposition.

I'm hoping (and pretty sure) he'll play up here against Brisbane. Daniher seems the obvious match-up, as I think Hipwood will get on top with his mobility and Gunston is way too smart for a player who's just started in this role 6 months ago (also, Gunston is very much a medium-sized player).

The problem that may pop up over the season is - do most clubs have a good match-up for Sav? Here's a few that pop to mind...

• Carlton - yes (Curnow-McKay combo)
  • Sydney - maybe (Reid... or maybe a slowing-down Buddy)
  • Gold Coast - yes (think King would be too mobile, but Casboult)

I'm sure there are a couple more, but the point is that he may not be a good fit week in, week out - especially while we play SDK back. Traditionally, I think we've ran Henry or Kolo against #2 KPFs, and both have done a pretty good job more times than not.

If we play "move the magnets" or SDK goes down, he's as good an option as we've got as any. But I'll be crossing my fingers for no injuries to one of the best young players we've draft in the last 10-15 years (alongside Max Holmes).

I'm hoping (and pretty sure) he'll play up here against Brisbane. Daniher seems the obvious match-up, as I think Hipwood will get on top with his mobility and Gunston is way too smart for a player who's just started in this role 6 months ago (also, Gunston is very much a medium-sized player).

The problem that may pop up over the season is - do most clubs have a good match-up for Sav? Here's a few that pop to mind...

I'm sure there are a couple more, but the point is that he may not be a good fit week in, week out - especially while we play SDK back. Traditionally, I think we've ran Henry or Kolo against #2 KPFs, and both have done a pretty good job more times than not.

If we play "move the magnets" or SDK goes down, he's as good an option as we've got as any. But I'll be crossing my fingers for no injuries to one of the best young players we've draft in the last 10-15 years (alongside Max Holmes).
Sav is a big fella but I wouldn't discount his ability to keep up with agile types. I'm just worried about him being outsmarted too often.

Jenry would be a great match up for gunston but c'est la vie

I think Ratugolea in theory is perfect against teams with a big key forward and resting ruckmen. Melbourne with Grundy/Gawn and Ben Brown is a perfect example of when Kolo as KP #2 might be stretched.

The other examples are teams like Brisbane and Port where both KPF’s (Hipwood/Daniher and Marshall/Dixon) are 200cm or there abouts.

The encouraging for me against Hawthorn wasn’t that he beat his opponent but that he was positioning himself really well and making good decisions. That to me is where progress needed to be made, he can out strength/ out athlete just about anyone.

Thats true but thats the gamble we took when we kept him and rejected pick 33.
I am pretty sure that we won’t see Jack until after the bye (sad for him) so SAV is going to get a good block alongside SDK and Kolo.

Sad for Jack but happy for SAV to have a chance to resurrect his career (even if it isn’t for cats). He seems like a great bloke

I think Ratugolea in theory is perfect against teams with a big key forward and resting ruckmen. Melbourne with Grundy/Gawn and Ben Brown is a perfect example of when Kolo as KP #2 might be stretched.

The other examples are teams like Brisbane and Port where both KPF’s (Hipwood/Daniher and Marshall/Dixon) are 200cm or there abouts.

The encouraging for me against Hawthorn wasn’t that he beat his opponent but that he was positioning himself really well and making good decisions. That to me is where progress needed to be made, he can out strength/ out athlete just about anyone.

That's encouraging to hear re his positioning and decision-making. I didn't catch the game but hoping he can replicate against more formidable opposition - starting next week.

you pick one
asked a good question in another thread...

"Esava to the backline - has your opinion chenged?"

After the other arvo, IMO it was his best body of work ive seen from him since maybe the Tigers game .... what was it that first 1/4?

Sure the level of oppo was different and its a scratch match vs a 4 point AFL game... but still liked what I saw and need to see more of it.

GO Catters

If Sav can make it as decent KPD, he will be a handy player to continue to have on our list on upcoming years. Assuming he’s not on big $$, he is good insurance for KPD, Ruck, Key forward positions.

As opposition forwards are getting taller on average with many around the 200cm, his added height compared to Henry or Kolo may be required for certain games.

I’ve never viewed Sav as a ‘list clogger’ as he doesn’t stop others coming through to become senior players and can covers 3 positions as backup giving us more portions to bring in new kids.

He might not make it as a regular AFL player but always happy to see him on our list

I am pretty sure that we won’t see Jack until after the bye (sad for him) so SAV is going to get a good block alongside SDK and Kolo.

Sad for Jack but happy for SAV to have a chance to resurrect his career (even if it isn’t for cats). He seems like a great bloke
I'm not saying you're wrong at all but how are you that sure around Jack's timeline? I've had foot injuries and it really is touch and go as to whether you'll be good to go in a couple/few of weeks after reinjuring or if it's a longer term thing. Either way you'll struggle to walk at all in the very very short term.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all but how are you that sure around Jack's timeline? I've had foot injuries and it really is touch and go as to whether you'll be good to go in a couple/few of weeks after reinjuring or if it's a longer term thing. Either way you'll struggle to walk at all in the very very short term.
Unfortunately i am pretty sure. Good source

Yeah, loved hearing what Kelly had to say:
Works hard.
Works within the system.
Cares.
Teammates love to have him alongside them.

You're spot on: that really is all you can ask of anyone, in any field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a few years, and there's some work to be done, but I'm currently rummaging through my drawers for my metaphorical "Team Sav" bandwagon shirt.

I hope I didn't throw it in the metaphorical garbage bin 2 years ago
Does it count if I was anti forward Sav but am pro backline Sav?
Can I have a shirt, even a thread

I still doubt that key defender is where he ends up. But we might need him there for the moment.

I still think his game style especially his ground level follow up and his making is most suited to play ruck long-term but his body hasn't let him get really fit and strong yet.

Down back is probably where he's needed this year and with Jack Henry showing ability up forward maybe that's where he stays long-term. But every player in our best 22 over 198cm is close to retirement except for SDK. It's difficult to think of any other club with more spots opening up for talls over the next 1-2 years than Geelong.

It's been a few years, and there's some work to be done, but I'm currently rummaging through my drawers for my metaphorical "Team Sav" bandwagon shirt.

I hope I didn't throw it in the metaphorical garbage bin 2 years ago
image_3ce3b553-5dd2-4a85-b397-a4cb7a7c0014_1024x1024@2x.jpg

got this shirt a while back, hoping I can still use it in the future

Sav is not gonna take on Lynch or Curnow etc He'll be taking 2nd or 3rd Key forward and most teams have crap 2nd and 3rd key forwards anyway.
Why wouldn't he take the no 1 key forward? As far as I can see, his weakness as a defender is that he isn't an excellent user by foot. Playing a lock-down role gives our other players in the back 6 more freedom to set up attacking plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back