Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

It was more of a question for when the returning players are at full fitness

Yeah fair enough. If Sav starts to kick arse down back you'd think poor old Kolo would be the unfortunate one to go. With all the recent stuff about lawsuits over post-career concussion care and his own troubles with repeat concussion injuries Jake, now a Premiership player, may call time on his career.

I know this is a highlight reel, and there were lowlights too - and they cost goals - but its his first game at AFL level for points as a KPD.
Not to mention, he did it minus Stewy, SDK on one leg and already missing Jack Henry and Kolo.

So, as flashes go, this is a pretty good flash reel. He 's gonna get more goals kicked on him, and hes gonna give away more holding frees so if thats gonne be his judgement for pass/fail then move on now as you'll be disappointed.
Ill say this - SDK last year made moves like Sav did and we all crowned SDK as amazing - and he was as a 3rd year player on the list.

All im saying is Sav has shown he can play the role, play it well and id reckon PA will be looking at this going " R U ******* kidding me?!?!

Look at where he comes form to influence some of these contests - he's miles off it and then suddenly he's there and spoiling. Its freaky that guy that big moves that fast and then controls his rig enough to spoil effectively and not give away frees everytime.

Should pony'ed up a second they were asking for.

Sav will get more time down back and im here to see more of it.

GO CAtters
00VicWard001 summed it up perfectly. Had it been SDK instead of Sav taking those grabs, we'd all be campaigning for an All Australian spot right now.

For a lot of posters, it's going to take a while to get the 'old' Sav out of their minds.

It's a very similar performance and reaction to the early days of Liam Jones going down back.

Sav in the backline could be a submission for the i was wrong thread. Will see how this plays out. Was impressed on friday night.
As was I. I actually never thought Sav would make it but only because he was never a one grab mark, most of the time he would need 2-3 grabs to complete a mark so I thought maybe his hands weren't big enough or strong enough and that would be his career Achilles heel. But Friday night I saw a couple of impressive 1 grab marks and he really held McStay (although I'm not sure that's a huge boast in itself). Based on what I saw though I think he has the makings of a very unique defender with his agility in a couple of years - fingers crossed it happens.

Very encouraging performance by Sav , lot to like👍
All KPD’s make mistakes and seem much worse as they invariably leads to scores against.
As a first up effort and with 62 inside 50’s plus a destabilised backline he went very well.
If he builds on that we will have a very much needed second tall defender to take on the teams with 2 or more tall forwards- bonus✅

And the other thing I didint mention is he's gonna have them looking over their shoulders.

He is a unit - and moving at pace - he's a dense human being in a physical sense. He will hurt some forwards going for the ball and they wills tart looking for him.

GO Catters

The real question would be who would you move out to keep Sav in there should he turn out good, the signs are there you just have to hope for the consistency and improvements
In reality we might not need to make that call for the whole year, depending on how long Henry takes to get back/if we have another injury in the interim.

But you'd say as it stands it would be Kolo,. However, his name is always thrown around here and yet still hasn't been dropped. So who knows.

I am keen to know if he got the 2 3s or a 4 and a 2.
Doesn't change a HUGE amount (unless Scott gave him the 2...) but still interested to know.
I genuinely thought he was super.

It's great that his game was recognised by Collingwood's coaches too - I don't want to get too carried away after just one game but Esava seems like he will absolutely vindicate our decision not to trade him.

The first half of this season will be absolutely career defining for Sav. With Kolo, Henry and now Stewart out for extended periods of time (and SDK may still be underdone), he surprisingly finds himself as a key pillar. He was awesome on Fri night and our only real shining light. If he continues on this trajectory, he will prove to be an invaluable asset for us in the long term and make the 30s pick offered by Port seem like an insult. Geee our 2016 draft haul was incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excelent game by Esava. Backs himself in and plays the ball. I even thought most of his mistakes were fine. He backed himself to take that mark over Cox and to be honest I thought Cox was a little lucky to pull it in and be awarded a mark. Esava takes that mark or at least brings that one to ground 80% of the time. The trip on McInnes was also unlucky and even if it was on purpose at least it made him have a shot from the boundry rather then running closer to goal or reducing the angle. The only real mistake in my book was the grappling of McStay. He was better than Moore on the night and deserved the coaches votes he got.

I know this is a highlight reel, and there were lowlights too - and they cost goals - but its his first game at AFL level for points as a KPD.
Not to mention, he did it minus Stewy, SDK on one leg and already missing Jack Henry and Kolo.

So, as flashes go, this is a pretty good flash reel. He 's gonna get more goals kicked on him, and hes gonna give away more holding frees so if thats gonne be his judgement for pass/fail then move on now as you'll be disappointed.
Ill say this - SDK last year made moves like Sav did and we all crowned SDK as amazing - and he was as a 3rd year player on the list.

All im saying is Sav has shown he can play the role, play it well and id reckon PA will be looking at this going " R U ******* kidding me?!?!

Look at where he comes form to influence some of these contests - he's miles off it and then suddenly he's there and spoiling. Its freaky that guy that big moves that fast and then controls his rig enough to spoil effectively and not give away frees everytime.

Should pony'ed up a second they were asking for.

Sav will get more time down back and im here to see more of it.

GO CAtters
I remember his tackles in the forward line. He rarely gave away frees, went down low, grabbed hips and absolutely swallowed them up and dumped them. He moved like a big cat. It was one thing that he nearly always got right.

No matter what, his trade capital has increased dramatically and he will definitely be getting much higher offers next year (including from us as we unload more veterans and clear cap space). Key position defenders don't grow on trees, and I can definitely see any other team really having to pony up to get him.

Remember that Cam Mooney hugely benefited from a season playing CHB before moving forward again and being a very effective CHF.
Sav could similarly benefit - dozen or more games in defence could help with confidence for forward move if injury or opportunity required.

I seem to remember in our famous 2006 Pre-Season Premiership vs Adelaide the Moondog spent most of the time in the ruck! He's been everywhere, man...

You'll soon be selling all your Geelong stocks at this rate.
Nah , just being a goof. He's always shown promise but it's in bits and pieces and never put together a good solid game. This was arguably his best game? and still did some questionable things. His done this before played decently and then gone off the radar next game. Wish he would just dominate a game he has the attributes but seems to worried about making mistakes.

Nah , just being a goof. He's always shown promise but it's in bits and pieces and never put together a good solid game. This was arguably his best game? and still did some questionable things. His done this before played decently and then gone off the radar next game. Wish he would just dominate a game he has the attributes but seems to worried about making mistakes.
The irony at selling your stocks in a game where he was the best defender on the ground, in his first proper game as a defender, is still funny though. You'd have to admit that.

I'm going to admit that I'm still unsure about him.

He did some good things last game, and he made some bad mistakes.

But it was his 'first' game so I'm not going to write him off yet. I need to see more.

I'll be real interested to see how our backline functions with he and Kolo playing.

I'm going to admit that I'm still unsure about him.

He did some good things last game, and he made some bad mistakes.

But it was his 'first' game so I'm not going to write him off yet. I need to see more.

I'll be real interested to see how our backline functions with he and Kolo playing.
I think position wise Kolo would still be back pocket looking after a medium or third tall if oppo have one. Has different attributes compared to MOC (not as quick/agile but better 1v1 and defensively) but they could easily be a rotation along with Zuthrie. When Jack Henry is back is where it gets complicated IMO. But Sav has every chance to have his 15 or 16 great efforts discoloured by 2 or 3 mistakes until then. It's a really nice ratio.

I think position wise Kolo would still be back pocket looking after a medium or third tall if oppo have one. Has different attributes compared to MOC (not as quick/agile but better 1v1 and defensively) but they could easily be a rotation along with Zuthrie. When Jack Henry is back is where it gets complicated IMO. But Sav has every chance to have his 15 or 16 great efforts discoloured by 2 or 3 mistakes until then. It's a really nice ratio.

Yep, it'll get crowded back there soon.

Kolo is back shortly, Stewart returns in about 4 hopefully, and Henry somewhere further down the track. Someone will be forced out.

Sav has his chance.

It's great that his game was recognised by Collingwood's coaches too.
With one vote, apparently.

:p

Seriously, though, he did well Friday night, considering the occasion, opponent and obliteration of our midfield. Read the game better than I expected, and executed some of the defensive skills required really admirably.

Would have to string together a bunch of decent games to be utterly convinced that he's going to make it back there. But there were some very promising signs, no doubt.

Remember that Cam Mooney hugely benefited from a season playing CHB before moving forward again and being a very effective CHF.
Sav could similarly benefit - dozen or more games in defence could help with confidence for forward move if injury or opportunity required.
Not derailing the thread but Cam Mooney was a lot lot lot more than a very effective CHF

As for Sav - he played very well in the backline - his athleticism is a huge asset - just to jump up from basically on the spot to reach up with his hand to knock the ball away

Port Ade - like Bris - even though they have finished high up up on the ladder - they looked brittle in finals- however Port looked very impressive in round 1 - and they must be bitterly bitterly dissappointed that they didnt get Sav - he might have been the missing piece of the jig saw to get them that flag

But very happy the Cats kept him

He is reading the ball in the air really well... getting his hands up high and giving himself a great chance to intercept mark or spoil.

Obviously the one time he went for the mark and not the spoil and Cox marked infront of him was an error... but still he nearly grabbed it over the top of a full stretched out 211cm players. That’s an easy one to learn from.

Getting those low ground spoils is a huge win in my eyes... it shows he is tracking his opponent close when needed and obviously zoning off when he senses a chance to intercept.

The McStay free in the square isn’t no long term big deal either.

I’m honestly impressed with the skill set he is showing back there... should only get better in time.

People think he is a monty to be gone next year... if he continues to improve I don’t see how we can let him go.

Big test Thursday night on Curnow or McKay though.

He is reading the ball in the air really well... getting his hands up high and giving himself a great chance to intercept mark or spoil.

Obviously the one time he went for the mark and not the spoil and Cox marked infront of him was an error... but still he nearly grabbed it over the top of a full stretched out 211cm players. That’s an easy one to learn from.

Getting those low ground spoils is a huge win in my eyes... it shows he is tracking his opponent close when needed and obviously zoning off when he senses a chance to intercept.

The McStay free in the square isn’t no long term big deal either.

I’m honestly impressed with the skill set he is showing back there... should only get better in time.

People think he is a monty to be gone next year... if he continues to improve I don’t see how we can let him go.

Big test Thursday night on Curnow or McKay though.
That soccer goalie type spoil too just in front of the square keeps getting better every time i see it - thats not easy at all

And agree the low down ones as well - he keeps this up and he'll be a monty all right - but for a 3 year deal with us and a pay rise.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back