Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Esava as a KPD is GFC winning the lottery! CS has always been a HUGE fan of Sav, and for good reason. A huge unit, with mobility, natural athleticism and coachability. Fair to say early that he was not a good reader of the game but he’s been in it a long time now and seems to have found his spot.
We can build an elite defence around SDK, Sav and Stewart over at least the next 4-5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah better late than never but with the acquisition of Cameron blind Freddy could see his days as a forward in the short to medium term were over what's also clear to me is SDK will not remain a career fullback far to talented and driven for that role hopefully progresses to key forward or a Blits type role down the track depending on team needs and whether he can develop the tank required.Great times ahead for this kid Daz.
You are going to upset the Nancies.

Strange how he can suddenly read the ball in the air
Tommy Stewart for sure.

The other day, the cats posted a video about players being positive and Jez (currently the best player in the AFL) raves about Tom Stewarts ability to chop off the ball. That mean's its happening at training where they are practising against each other.

And he's now the VC, loving leadership, is such a caring guy. He'd be taking it upon himself to teach Sav.

If he was playing the exact same role in the exact same way at Port Adelaide, he’d be getting called the recruit of the year.

Thank goodness he stayed.
Based on the four very good young players that we got (Bowes, Clark, Bruhn, Henry)... he is actually the best recruit that we have got this year. Based on his output, role, attributes and potential, I'd pay him $550k-650k a year for a 5 year contract. We'd not have to think about defensive key position players for the next 8 years with him and SDK with current and future contracts.

Based on the four very good young players that we got (Bowes, Clark, Bruhn, Henry)... he is actually the best recruit that we have got this year. Based on his output, role, attributes and potential, I'd pay him $550k-650k a year for a 5 year contract. We'd not have to think about defensive key position players for the next 8 years with him and SDK with current and future contracts.
Mate I'm hearing ya... You don't let guys that can do what he is doing (and clearly should improve in the role) walk out the door.

Especially when the coach loves him and he is apparently a really good dude around the club.

I'll be shocked if he isn't re-signed before the end of the season.

I didnt expect that. Was his game that good?

I'm not surprised he's in the votes, but a little surprised he got the perfect 10 - looking at our boards MVP votes for the match, he's in about 90% of the votes and seems that includes all from options from 1 -> 5 votes.

I would have rated his game against Essendon as his worse of the year, while Saturdays I thought was clearly his best this year, probably a top 3 game of his career - but not sure he was necessarily the most influential on the ground. A lot of his marks & one grabs looked spectacular which I feel sometimes grabs the attention more than the grunt work

I'm really happy to see him get recognition for his match though - it would have been easy for him to drop his head after the Essendon match, especially without the support of SDK down back this week, but instead he turned things around

I'm not surprised he's in the votes, but a little surprised he got the perfect 10 - looking at our boards MVP votes for the match, he's in about 90% of the votes and seems that includes all from options from 1 -> 5 votes.

I would have rated his game against Essendon as his worse of the year, while Saturdays I thought was clearly his best this year, probably a top 3 game of his career - but not sure he was necessarily the most influential on the ground. A lot of his marks & one grabs looked spectacular which I feel sometimes grabs the attention more than the grunt work

I'm really happy to see him get recognition for his match though - it would have been easy for him to drop his head after the Essendon match, especially without the support of SDK down back this week, but instead he turned things around
I don’t think SDK got this many votes for 8 games last year.

I personally think Esava as his first year as a defender has performed at a slightly higher level than SDK in his first year as a defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks good in the air but is getting a lot of goals kicked on him

Sav has to work on his one on one work but in nearly all other facets of KPD - intercepts, spoils, 2nd efforts/agility and even footskills (!) is playing well above a level you would expect of a player with only 8 games AFL experience as a defender.

Need to expect Sav to give up some goals as he is learning the role. I remember even Matt Scarlett- IMO the GOAT FB - had some bags kicked on him in his first year.

You're probably looking at an end of first round pick at the trade table now... I don't think we will trade him though. Scotty loves him. I think his season is going pretty decently, he does leak goals though, maybe he will tighten that up with experience.

Agree, but also tends to play on the most targeted forward each week - Tex had heaps of ball directed at him, and the fact that he kicked 3 goals but had no coaches votes indicated to me that Sav definitely won the battle.
Yeah exactly they went to Walker a lot and he finished with just 2 marks and 7 disposals (8 marks and 13 disposals for Sav). To Tex's credit he jagged the 3 goals but he's had an AA-squad level season and it's hard to shut him out completely.

The Weideman bag of 5 goals was the worst game. He didn't contribute much in the Gold Coast game Vs their forwards and one got on the end of a few. I'd mark 3 goals against him. So those were his "bad" games.

The Carlton game he conceded 3 goals to Curnow and 1 to Mackay but that was a tough game with all the goals coming from turnovers up the field (and Curnow being unstoppable). So I think people were harsh on him that game as he fought well and still did plenty right in a struggling team. About par.

Collingwood and Adelaide games he was fantastic. 2 goals conceded in one and 3 in the other don't tell the story.

For the most part he was good through the Hawthorn, Sydney and West Coast games. SDK shared duties on Allen in one I believe. I reckon Sav conceded 2 or 3 on Allen when matched on him, 2 for Greene from Hawthorn and none Vs Sydney.

21 goals from 8 games by my count playing on the main forward each time. He's not an elite stopper yet (not many rookie defenders are) but if his intercepting and general play is strong you take it. Especially in what has mostly been a depleted defence. Tidying up those couple of errors a game is the next step in his development.

Yeah exactly they went to Walker a lot and he finished with just 2 marks and 7 disposals (8 marks and 13 disposals for Sav). To Tex's credit he jagged the 3 goals but he's had an AA-squad level season and it's hard to shut him out completely.

The Weideman bag of 5 goals was the worst game. He didn't contribute much in the Gold Coast game Vs their forwards and one got on the end of a few. I'd mark 3 goals against him. So those were his "bad" games.

The Carlton game he conceded 3 goals to Curnow and 1 to Mackay but that was a tough game with all the goals coming from turnovers up the field (and Curnow being unstoppable). So I think people were harsh on him that game as he fought well and still did plenty right in a struggling team. About par.

Collingwood and Adelaide games he was fantastic. 2 goals conceded in one and 3 in the other don't tell the story.

For the most part he was good through the Hawthorn, Sydney and West Coast games. SDK shared duties on Allen in one I believe. I reckon Sav conceded 2 or 3 on Allen when matched on him, 2 for Greene from Hawthorn and none Vs Sydney.

21 goals from 8 games by my count playing on the main forward each time. He's not an elite stopper yet (not many rookie defenders are) but if his intercepting and general play is strong you take it. Especially in what has mostly been a depleted defence. Tidying up those couple of errors a game is the next step in his development.
The Essendon game - of weideman’s five goals - least one maybe two another Cat was guarding him and at least one was a 15 m dart like pass that I doubt anyone could have stopped. Sav definitely has a weakness one on one but most ‘new’ defenders struggle with that. Needs to work on it nonetheless.

The Essendon game - of weideman’s five goals - least one maybe two another Cat was guarding him and at least one was a 15 m dart like pass that I doubt anyone could have stopped. Sav definitely has a weakness one on one but most ‘new’ defenders struggle with that. Needs to work on it nonetheless.
Yeah we have a rolling defence, match ups change all the time. Sure people might have a primary opponent but within play it's often not clear cut. Kind of a team defence approach. A lot of sagging off to intercept or help track another guy running in. I'd say "losing" an opponent is Savs biggest weakness. His 1v1 contested stats are surprisingly strong and not that much worse Moore's or Andrews', a bit better than Allir's and May's.

The 5 votes from Geelong says that he not only did what the coaches wanted him to do, he was the best in the team at doing what the coaches wanted him to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back