Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

That soccer goalie type spoil too just in front of the square keeps getting better every time i see it - thats not easy at all

And agree the low down ones as well - he keeps this up and he'll be a monty all right - but for a 3 year deal with us and a pay rise.

GO Catters
It's a long way from playing goalkeeper for Cobram Roar.

No one would’ve expected Esava to begin his new role in defence without the assistance of Stewart, Kolo, Henry and Duncan, and with a below par SDK. It is too early to decide whether he will make it as a first choice defender, but thank goodness we have him, in view of all the injuries.

The miss functioning midfield has not helped him either.

Just keeps getting better. Looks super athletic out there, agile, and is reading the ball so well. He’s playing that well that they are allowing SDK to roam up the field.

How good is he going to be in 12mths.

And if any other team come for him with a monster offer - well, they’ll have to trade big for him.

Just keeps getting better. Looks super athletic out there, agile, and is reading the ball so well. He’s playing that well that they are allowing SDK to roam up the field.

How good is he going to be in 12mths.

And if any other team come for him with a monster offer - well, they’ll have to trade big for him.

has finally found his place, is great to see.

Still early in his days as a key back.

Looks like he has plenty of tools to make it.

Still surprised he was copping any heat from people this year and think he has exceeded what was expected of him and will only get better.

I think he is very likely to get a decent longer contract offer from us and stay (assuming he wants to be with us).

200cm key backs with strong bodies, athleticism, a long reach and great intercept marking ability don't grow on trees + the coach loves him.

Esava is just such a presence down back. He is a mountain of a man and is prepared to attack the ball. Playing down back just seems to have freed him up and allow all of his attributes to be used. Will still have a problem if we play on an open ground with a strong wind blowing where his very high ball drop will get exposed.

Esava is just such a presence down back. He is a mountain of a man and is prepared to attack the ball. Playing down back just seems to have freed him up and allow all of his attributes to be used. Will still have a problem if we play on an open ground with a strong wind blowing where his very high ball drop will get exposed.
Would love to see training sessions with the backline vs the forward line.

Sure Jez and Hawk are elite - but having Stewart direct Sav and SDK would even it up I’m sure. Then again, if it’s Miers delivering the ball to Jez and Hawk then maybe it’s a mismatch as no one can stop those passes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange how he can suddenly read the ball in the air

Honestly I think it comes down to letting the game come to him vs having to go and create it.
Especially someone who doesn't have that natural football aptitude, I think it's easier for him down back where he can setup and wait instead of having to go and find the ball.

Just another example of giving players time and chances to develop.
I dare say it's more about getting him into a position that fits his skill set more than time.

But it did take time for them to put a line through him as a failed forward + ruck before moving him back.

Probably would be a better back right now if they took less time to make that call.

Kolo, Guthries, Sav have a lot in common.
They have defied the WBS (WHIPPING BOY SYNDROME)and are able to show us what they've got.
I only want 2 things this year afa footy.
1. A Cats flag
2. Sav and Holmes to feature in the GF

Last edited:
Kolo, Guthries, Sav have a lot in common.
They have defied the WBS (WHIPPING BOY SYNDROME)and are able to show us what thdey'vbe got.
I only want 2 things this year afa footy.
1. A Cats flag
2. Sav and Holmes to feature in the GF

Have unMensched themselves…

I dare say it's more about getting him into a position that fits his skill set more than time.

But it did take time for them to put a line through him as a failed forward + ruck before moving him back.

Probably would be a better back right now if they took less time to make that call.
My point overall is the quick calls about "spud and list clogger" can often be misplaced - again seen here IMO.

No doubt getting him as a KPD 2 years ago might have helped his overall development speed, but whom would he have displaced?
Hypotheticals aside, im just glad we waited on him and that if he can continue to develop into another "Domsy" type KPD, we and he will have done very well.

GO Catters

Amazing how good Esava looks in a team functioning well with stability around him in defence. Which is what made the mouth frothing obsession over his every action in the first 3 rounds so absurd. For what its worth, from the 3 games in which Geelong struggled - he was outstanding in one (vs Pies), battled pretty well in one (vs Blues...Curnow in that form with supply will fill his boots...he had 4 goals kicked against him as direct opponent that night which given the circumstances was par) and had one forgettable match (Suns....along with all of his peers minus Cameron and Stewart). And they were his first consecutive AFL games in the role. He showed very good signs but struggled when we were being outnumbered by opposition - i.e leaving his opponent to help pressure the ball carrier, let's his man get out the back - in pretty tough situations for a rookie defender.

There are still the odd occasions where he can get a bit lost with his positioning, his body work could improve in stationary 1v1s and his kicking can be iffy. But these are all areas to improve while the rest of his core game is excelling.

Over 5 marks and 7 1%ers (that will almost all be spoils/knock ons) a game as a key defender means he is contesting well and repelling plenty of attacks. I don't have his intercept numbers but you'd expect a good chunk of his 10 possessions a game this season are in that category. I'd be shocked if any rookie or backup defenders are nearly as effective. And his performances are even holding up compared to a lot of seasoned defenders.

My point overall is the quick calls about "spud and list clogger" can often be misplaced - again seen here IMO.

No doubt getting him as a KPD 2 years ago might have helped his overall development speed, but whom would he have displaced?
Hypotheticals aside, im just glad we waited on him and that if he can continue to develop into another "Domsy" type KPD, we and he will have done very well.

GO Catters
Yeah better late than never but with the acquisition of Cameron blind Freddy could see his days as a forward in the short to medium term were over what's also clear to me is SDK will not remain a career fullback far to talented and driven for that role hopefully progresses to key forward or a Blits type role down the track depending on team needs and whether he can develop the tank required.Great times ahead for this kid Daz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Esava

Remove this Banner Ad

Back