Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Why on earth would you entertain Stinger being traded? I know he has his faults but he'd have been in AA contention a few weeks back. Probably the no1 thing for Essendon is working out the mix in the midfield long term. How many of the Parish, Hobbs, Caldwell types do you want, and who else is in there? Could you get a good selection for Parish? That would be a question surely worth asking, Hobbs is a little more questionable you'd get the return but I'm a big believer you don't lose talent. Shiel should be traded to somewhere he wouldn't be the worst for a developing side and you could upgrade somewhere whether it be in your second or third rounds whatever. Rest are surely obvious, though isn't Kelly okay? He's been fine when I've watched him

Stringer is more if he gets a longer term contract and asks for a trade. (Let's say a team comes with three years for example and we are clearly only going to offer one)

Moving Parish is a good idea but I doubt his contract and injury concerns have many suitors.

Kelly will likely go again but really shouldn't. If he does he should be VFL unless we have horrendous injuries.

Stringer is more if he gets a longer term contract and asks for a trade. (Let's say a team comes with three years for example and we are clearly only going to offer one)

Moving Parish is a good idea but I doubt his contract and injury concerns have many suitors.

Kelly will likely go again but really shouldn't. If he does he should be VFL unless we have horrendous injuries.

Sure, plenty would come for Stringer, jeez I'd hate it but imagine Carlton with him as a third tall.

Parish is the interesting one could you guys pay lets say half the deal and like a Bowes type deal get a high pick who knows just thinking out loud more than anything.

I'd take Kelly at our side, hey we took Francis and he's no better lol,

Sure, plenty would come for Stringer, jeez I'd hate it but imagine Carlton with him as a third tall.

Parish is the interesting one could you guys pay lets say half the deal and like a Bowes type deal get a high pick who knows just thinking out loud more than anything.

I'd take Kelly at our side, hey we took Francis and he's no better lol,

I think with any Parish trade Essendon would prefer an equivalent player at another position rather than just a pick. Especially with a 1st round NGA player incoming.

I think with any Parish trade Essendon would prefer an equivalent player at another position rather than just a pick. Especially with a 1st round NGA player incoming.

pretty sure geelong made FA contact last year, bombers should have let him go and take a pick which I'd thought be decent with the coin been mentioned and that he fills a need in the geelong midfield.

instead, they gave him a 5-year deal add to him been injured mostly this year, no one is going to give them picks for him now.

pretty sure geelong made FA contact last year, bombers should have let him go and take a pick which I'd thought be decent with the coin been mentioned and that he fills a need in the geelong midfield.

instead, they gave him a 5-year deal add to him been injured mostly this year, no one is going to give them picks for him now.

That's looking at it from one perspective. We were getting McKay as a free agent (and in the end, Gresham too) which would have cancelled out any Parish free agency compensation.

To make it worthwhile, we would've had to match and asked Geelong for their first rounder - which is a different discussion.

That's looking at it from one perspective. We were getting McKay as a free agent (and in the end, Gresham too) which would have cancelled out any Parish free agency compensation.

To make it worthwhile, we would've had to match and asked Geelong for their first rounder - which is a different discussion.
Disagree. Much more likely that we trade McKay and Gresham in and take the first.

didnt think of the in and out of free agents in term of compensation picks. but surely bombers would have a different strategy in getting in mckay and gresham if there was a potential in coming compo pick.

Issue was you don’t get compo picks when you get free agents so if Essendon were to go for that pick it would have meant no McKay and no Gresham

If you’d been asked straight up would you trade Gresham, McKay and Parish salary dump for pick 10 (or whatever it would have been )

Does that seem a fair/good deal?

I’m honestly not sure I can see both paths. I guess it depends on how you feel about the other talent on the list

After last weekend I have to ask. Has Dodoro ever done a big list turnover? There's a lot of dead wood that needs to go I think and start a proper rebuild. Like 10+ player dumped/traded. This year is the year to do it with a good pool of draft players and FAs. That means rutheless cutting and trading: Kelly, Heppell, Hind, Weidermen, Stringer! and everyone that's 25+. Goldstein retired, Push the retirement of Laverde or trade him out. Look at anyone that is just too injury prone if they think they're not going to get many years out of. Basically look at fielding a more youthful team next year under Scott that is shaped to what type of gamestyle he wants to play. Dodoro needs to step aside for drafting and trading. Let Scott choose his players.

If I were to do it. Sign on Caldwell & Jones, Trade Draper and a F4 to dees for 43* & 49*, Trade Stringer to North for 58* & 65*, Trade Hind to Suns with 43*, 49* 58* for 20, F2 & 73. Look at trading Guelfi or keep 1 more year. Rookie Davey. Trade Parish to Collingwood and paying a qtr of his cap for their 30*. Trade Shiel to Saints 65* for 24* Bring in Ned Reeves from Hawks for F2, FA Harry Perryman, FA James Borlase, Go in with 9*, 20, 24*, 29*, 30*, 73*, Reeves, Borlase, Perryman.

After last weekend I have to ask. Has Dodoro ever done a big list turnover? There's a lot of dead wood that needs to go I think and start a proper rebuild. Like 10+ player dumped/traded. This year is the year to do it with a good pool of draft players and FAs. That means rutheless cutting and trading: Kelly, Heppell, Hind, Weidermen, Stringer! and everyone that's 25+. Goldstein retired, Push the retirement of Laverde or trade him out. Look at anyone that is just too injury prone if they think they're not going to get many years out of. Basically look at fielding a more youthful team next year under Scott that is shaped to what type of gamestyle he wants to play. Dodoro needs to step aside for drafting and trading. Let Scott choose his players.

If I were to do it. Sign on Caldwell & Jones, Trade Draper and a F4 to dees for 43* & 49*, Trade Stringer to North for 58* & 65*, Trade Hind to Suns with 43*, 49* 58* for 20, F2 & 73. Look at trading Guelfi or keep 1 more year. Rookie Davey. Trade Parish to Collingwood and paying a qtr of his cap for their 30*. Trade Shiel to Saints 65* for 24* Bring in Ned Reeves from Hawks for F2, FA Harry Perryman, FA James Borlase, Go in with 9*, 20, 24*, 29*, 30*, 73*, Reeves, Borlase, Perryman.
Yeah, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We've turned over the list a lot. We're still one of the youngest lists going around.

Heppell and Goldstein are likely to retire. Hind likely gets a one year deal as depth or requests a trade. Weideman likely to be cut. Laverde is okay depth.

Trading Draper for peanuts when he's a free agent next year is dumb. Why would North want Stringer, and why would Stringer want North? If he's going anywhere it's to somewhere like Melbourne or Collingwood. Hind unlikely to leave Victoria. If we're trading Parish and paying part of his salary a first better be coming our way. Why bring in Reeves when Nick Bryan is better and doesn't cost us anything? Why get James Borlase, when he's basically Laverde? Why chase Perryman, a half back/wing when we have heaps of those already?

You're also forgetting that NGA rules have changed so all those seconds you've got us taking will be eaten up by an Isaac Kako bid.

Also, Dodoro isn't the list manager any more. In case you weren't aware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. We've turned over the list a lot. We're still one of the youngest lists going around.

Heppell and Goldstein are likely to retire. Hind likely gets a one year deal as depth or requests a trade. Weideman likely to be cut. Laverde is okay depth.

Trading Draper for peanuts when he's a free agent next year is dumb. Why would North want Stringer, and why would Stringer want North? If he's going anywhere it's to somewhere like Melbourne or Collingwood. Hind unlikely to leave Victoria. If we're trading Parish and paying part of his salary a first better be coming our way. Why bring in Reeves when Nick Bryan is better and doesn't cost us anything? Why get James Borlase, when he's basically Laverde? Why chase Perryman, a half back/wing when we have heaps of those already?

You're also forgetting that NGA rules have changed so all those seconds you've got us taking will be eaten up by an Isaac Kako bid.

Also, Dodoro isn't the list manager any more. In case you weren't aware.
Thank goodness he's not there anymore. Reeves is ready made and Bryan is only 22, Draper's trade value I don't feel is all there and I don't believe the NGA rules change this year? It looks like clubs are pushing them to be in 2025. He likely only be Band 3 under the new cap and changes. Borlase is only 21 and is actually a better player than Laverde with a bit more agression. Perryman wants to play midfield or forward again so having another good kick in there will be good. Stringer needs to go he's just coasting in the team. Parish would probably be worth a 3rd atm. Hind cant cement himself in the side. It is either he goes back again with Heppell gone or maybe try and make him a mid.

I just dont see essendons list as that good. You got a lot of senior players from Worsfold days that don't make themselves accountable when the chips are down. You got a ruck that probably makes Minson look good not getting consistant games over wright and goldy. T

Those 2nd rounders can be traded anyways if in such a case changes do make their way.

Some good a less good strategies here.... my thoughts.

Retire - goldstein and heppell
Delist - weidermann, wanganeen
trade - shiel to saints for pick 46, wright a pick in the 40's, stringer F3 (think there would be suiters)
1 years deals with triggers - hunter, kelly, j davey, baldwin, el-hawli, setterfield, hind
2 year deals - jones, guelfi (facilitate trade if he gets a better offer elsewhere)
4 year deal - caldwell

Creates 5 snr spots (menzie will need to be upgrades) and 1 rookie spot

Trade our future 1st and this years 2nd rounder (get some change back late to match NGA bid) to get a 2nd first round pick before someone bids on kako. Freo or GC the likely suiters.

Take 3 early picks (Kako as NGA match, armstrong as the key tall, best available otherwise), 1 late. Pick up a delisted FA for role depth, use the rookie pick for a train on player over summer if not used on rookie draft night.

Injuries permitting starting '23 round 1 next year

b Mcgrath, mckay, kelly
hb Redmond, Reid or hayes, Ridley
c Duursma, Durham, Martin
hb gresham, Jones, Caldwell
f caddy, Langford, Kako
foll Draper, Parish, Merrett
int Bryan, Cox, perkins, setterfield, Tsatas

emg hobbs, Laverde, guelfi

Yeah.... we are middling again with this team but forward pressure hopefully improves. Redmond returns to his running role off the hb flank, Perkins can stick with the hf role rather than pretending to be both, caldwell and parish rotating, setterfield providing some big body relief inside. Jones continues to get up the ground and the smaller forward line provides some unpredictability.

We just don't move the ball well enough for wright to be a consistent threat hence the trade and for whatever reason he and langford seem to work better apart. Shiel and stringer aren't going to be there if/when we become a top 4 threat so build without them.

Some good a less good strategies here.... my thoughts.

Retire - goldstein and heppell
Delist - weidermann, wanganeen
trade - shiel to saints for pick 46, wright a pick in the 40's, stringer F3 (think there would be suiters)
1 years deals with triggers - hunter, kelly, j davey, baldwin, el-hawli, setterfield, hind
2 year deals - jones, guelfi (facilitate trade if he gets a better offer elsewhere)
4 year deal - caldwell

Creates 5 snr spots (menzie will need to be upgrades) and 1 rookie spot

Trade our future 1st and this years 2nd rounder (get some change back late to match NGA bid) to get a 2nd first round pick before someone bids on kako. Freo or GC the likely suiters.

Take 3 early picks (Kako as NGA match, armstrong as the key tall, best available otherwise), 1 late. Pick up a delisted FA for role depth, use the rookie pick for a train on player over summer if not used on rookie draft night.

Injuries permitting starting '23 round 1 next year

b Mcgrath, mckay, kelly
hb Redmond, Reid or hayes, Ridley
c Duursma, Durham, Martin
hb gresham, Jones, Caldwell
f caddy, Langford, Kako
foll Draper, Parish, Merrett
int Bryan, Cox, perkins, setterfield, Tsatas

emg hobbs, Laverde, guelfi

Yeah.... we are middling again with this team but forward pressure hopefully improves. Redmond returns to his running role off the hb flank, Perkins can stick with the hf role rather than pretending to be both, caldwell and parish rotating, setterfield providing some big body relief inside. Jones continues to get up the ground and the smaller forward line provides some unpredictability.

We just don't move the ball well enough for wright to be a consistent threat hence the trade and for whatever reason he and langford seem to work better apart. Shiel and stringer aren't going to be there if/when we become a top 4 threat so build without them.
Cal twomey says that the changes for the draft and bidding wont happen this year. If they want Kako they need to draft him with their own pick.

Want to buy a spud full back?
Pick 4 would be nice!
Mate Jayden Laverde would be your best defender. Pipe down, your list is riddled with spuds.

Want to buy a spud full back?
Pick 4 would be nice!

We are beyond horrific.
But one of the very few things we have are that we’re not North.

We can waste our time throwing barbs at each other while real AFL clubs laugh at us both if you like. But it’d be exactly that - a waste of time.

Would be hilarious for the melts if the Bombers did another Bowes Deal for us to take Parish off their hands....

We are beyond horrific.
But one of the very few things we have are that we’re not North.

We can waste our time throwing barbs at each other while real AFL clubs laugh at us both if you like. But it’d be exactly that - a waste of time.
Not being North - im not sure that’s a good thing. A proper bottom out and you get your Sheezels instead of your Tsatas.

We did the middle of the road - over pay for average players for years under Scott. Sold ess an 8 year plan. That’s really cunning - even by Scott’s standards.

Heppell, Goldstein, Shiel, Stringer, Kelly, Hind and Hunter all gone for sure please.

Weideman, Baldwin, Setterfield, Davey and Wanganeen also probably gone depending on other trade moves.

Laverde and Menzie lucky to have a year contract,

I would put Langford, Wright and Parish on the table and see who bites.

Posted this on our own board but we need a massive cleanout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Essendon 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back