Club Focus Essendon 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Wait, did Essendon turn down North's future first to get Melbourne's plus later picks? I know they need points for Kako and all, but... are they high? North's future pick will likely be top 5 and Melbourne will rebound next year.
This deal keeps us relevant in terms of trading back into the first round this year depending on Kako.

And there's no guarantee that Melbourne will rebound.

Wait, did Essendon turn down North's future first to get Melbourne's plus later picks? I know they need points for Kako and all, but... are they high? North's future pick will likely be top 5 and Melbourne will rebound next year.
Melbourne could finish 17th with their problems.

I dunno, North aren't going to sit at the bottom of the ladder forever. Wouldn't be surprised if they went past a few teams next year with another year into Sheezel, Wardlaw Mckercher etc. It's just as much a risk to think they'll finish bottom 4 again as it is to assume Melbourne won't make finals.

I highly doubt Melbourne do much better than North next year.

And those picks they’ve given us which North wouldn’t have means we will turn it into another first rounder. So Dees first plus another v Norths F1.

Great trade and proud to be Red and Black today.

I dunno, North aren't going to sit at the bottom of the ladder forever. Wouldn't be surprised if they went past a few teams next year with another year into Sheezel, Wardlaw Mckercher etc. It's just as much a risk to think they'll finish bottom 4 again as it is to assume Melbourne won't make finals.
It's a possibility for sure, but I wouldn't call it just as much a risk. They haven't released odds for making the finals in 2025 yet, but using the facsimile metric of premiership odds, Melbourne are much more likely.

1000011823.png

This trade is purely key people at Melbourne hanging on for their jobs and trying to get as much in as they can now.

If they start trading out players who want to leave (Petracca, Oliver, Pickett) they’ll have to start the rebuild everyone can see is coming.

Which of course means a clean out of staff…

It's a possibility for sure, but I wouldn't call it just as much a risk. They haven't released odds for making the finals in 2025 yet, but using the facsimile metric of premiership odds, Melbourne are much more likely.

View attachment 2140464
Yeah but look at this year. Dees had nearly 4x as many wins as North and only are 3 picks lower than North.

Sure Dees should be better, but that doesn’t mean the picks are that far away

View attachment 2140464
What were Melbourne's odds start of 2024 season?

Maybe couldn’t come to an agreement with North who rightfully would’ve demanded a lot more. Dees pick suits more. Surely not a revelation

View attachment 2140464
If Melbourne's pick is within 5 of North's pick I think we'd be happy. Yes North will have a better pick but in our position we need the junk picks from Melbourne which North seemingly weren't offering, so there's more to it than trading for the best first rounder next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what exactly? Bare in mind the AFL rules too. They trade out their first and go into deficit it comes off that round's selection the next year. So lets say Kako is bid at pick 11, do tell with pick 31 and nothing how they even remotely get points, and before you say trade Stringer that's pick 45 at best. So they are left with a massive deficit, and end up with a worse pick than the Dees one. This way they get Kako, probably have a pick in the 40's (which will come into 35 ish with the other bids), and have an extra first next year!

This is a good trade, they needed some mid picks this year for points

Based on what exactly? Bare in mind the AFL rules too. They trade out their first and go into deficit it comes off that round's selection the next year. So lets say Kako is bid at pick 11, do tell with pick 31 and nothing how they even remotely get points, and before you say trade Stringer that's pick 45 at best.
You trade in future later picks.

You trade in future later picks.

Good luck with that with the new rules. This deal does that right now without going into deficit....and banking a top 10 first rounder next year from Melb. Honestly would not be surprised if they come bottom 6. North will improve.

Brisbane did it.

This year yes, the new rules start next year. Points have less value.

This is a GOOD and above anything a fair deal. Melbourne are not coming better than top 9/10 that's on a best case scenario, they are doing a mini rebuild on the run and that is good.

North deal would have been useless unless there was a second this season, those seconds allow essendon to match Kako with no deficits, that's the reason. Plus they will get a late second rounder to take live

Interesting trade. Would Kako have been bid on before pick 9? Surely for Essendon to make this trade, they would’ve had strong intel that that would likely be the case. Otherwise this has cost them selecting another highly rated kid in addition to Kako.

Interesting trade. Would Kako have been bid on before pick 9? Surely for Essendon to make this trade, they would’ve had strong intel that that would likely be the case. Otherwise this has cost them selecting another highly rated kid in addition to Kako.

Rumours that Melbourne wanted him and St Kilda so maybe there's something there. Not sure why Melbourne need a small forward when they need a KPF...I mean they had Harrison Petty as a Key Forward half the year for goodness sakes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Focus Essendon 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back