Competitions Essendon board SC cash league

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not a massive poster on this site but regular reader, but be keen to get into the SC cash league if there is a place left. Presume all interest earned on cash float is donated to the flight plan.

I am not a massive poster on this site but regular reader, but be keen to get into the SC cash league if there is a place left. Presume all interest earned on cash float is donated to the flight plan.

Still room left.:thumbsu:

I thought the money would go to the prizes, but I like your idea better.

How about a 50/50 split with money back for the GF loser and the 2nd overall?

$800 league winner
$800 overall winner
$100 league runner-up
$100 overall runner-up

I'm out with this structure.

There is a big difference between playing an 'overall ranking game' and a 'league-win game'.

With ~50% of the prize pool awarded to the league winner; it takes away a big edge for those, which, I would hazard a guess is most of us, gearing towards achieving a high ranking.

There are some talented coaches who have expressed interest, and to think I'm much better than an 8-1 chance of scooping the overall ranking side of the prize pool, is delusional.

Meanwhile, those who are bombing early, can hoard trades for the final rounds to give themself the best chance for the league prize pool. I want to be able to push 100% towards my goal, not sit on the fence to give myself the best chance of earning some cash.

I'm out with this structure.

There is a big difference between playing an 'overall ranking game' and a 'league-win game'.

With ~50% of the prize pool awarded to the league winner; it takes away a big edge for those, which, I would hazard a guess is most of us, gearing towards achieving a high ranking.

There are some talented coaches who have expressed interest, and to think I'm much better than an 8-1 chance of scooping the overall ranking side of the prize pool, is delusional.

Meanwhile, those who are bombing early, can hoard trades for the final rounds to give themself the best chance for the league prize pool. I want to be able to push 100% towards my goal, not sit on the fence to give myself the best chance of earning some cash.

Why join a specific league if you have no interest in winning that league? Leagues are set up so you can battle it out with your mates. Not much fun beating someone in a league game just to hear them say that they only want total points/highest ranking.

As for your bombing out theory, you do realize that you need to make the league final's to have any chance of winning cash. If your bombing out then you are hardly likely to hoard trades.

I'm all for rewarding the highest point scorer with a percentage of the pot as this is a good achievement, but to say that the league win price should be reduced is ludicrous.

Why join a specific league if you have no interest in winning that league? Leagues are set up so you can battle it out with your mates. Not much fun beating someone in a league game just to hear them say that they only want total points/highest ranking.

I seem to have this argument every year. To sum up:

What do you need to win a league? 04 good weeks.
What do you need to win overall ranking? 23 good weeks.

Therefore; 23 weeks > 04 weeks = bigger sample size = truer indicator of skill = least luck

We only have the opportunity to join 5 leagues. Doesn't it make sense to join 5 leagues that are more in line with my goals, and give me more +EV?

As for your bombing out theory, you do realize that you need to make the league final's to have any chance of winning cash. If your bombing out then you are hardly likely to hoard trades.
You do realise, you can potentially win the $50K, without winning a league title. Not only that, whilst it's unlikely, you could potentially not even make finals, and still win the big prize. That, in a nutshell, is why weighting prizes toward a league win is flawed.

To say that the league win price should be reduced is logical.
Edited for accuracy. But seriously; to call it 'ludicrous' when:

I'm open to discuss how the prize pool should be distributed but it probably should be weighted towards overall finish.

Could be keen.

...the premise for the league, was 'weighted towards overall finish'; Is that not what you signed up for in the first place?

Yeah don't worry. PK is out.

Yeah fair enough. You start the league on the premise of 'weighted towards overall finish', one person disagrees with it, so you change the original structure due to fear of losing said player. Yet, I now disagree, you again have the potential of losing a player; and you're willing to deal with it?

I understand you don't like me SirJimi, but that shouldn't cloud your better judgement. It's pretty hypocritical. Just saying.

Yeah fair enough. You start the league on the premise of 'weighted towards overall finish', one person disagrees with it, so you change the original structure due to fear of losing said player. Yet, I now disagree, you again have the potential of losing a player; and you're willing to deal with it?

Yeah man, I'm feeling the love :D.

4 good weeks is rubbish. You need to make the league finals to start with and ideally you need to finish top 4. You can't afford to hold onto all your trades until the finals in case you don't make it. I do understand that you can win the overall without wining the league final as impromptu did last year but he also wasnt leading the comp for the whole season. Maybe it was only 4 or so good weeks that got him to number one. As long as his average weeks weren't terrible its very possible.

4 good weeks is rubbish. You need to make the league finals to start with and ideally you need to finish top 4. You can't afford to hold onto all your trades until the finals in case you don't make it. I do understand that you can win the overall without wining the league final as impromptu did last year but he also wasnt leading the comp for the whole season. Maybe it was only 4 or so good weeks that got him to number one. As long as his average weeks weren't terrible its very possible.

You're arguing semantics now. As a principle, you can't win a league without having 04 good weeks in rounds 20-23. To make finals, you only have to finish 8th. If you nail your starting team, you can do this quite easily, whilst only sacrificing 16 trades, leaving a full complement of 08 trades for the last 4 weeks. You would never do this going for overall ranking.

As a principle, to finish 1st overall, and I know this all too well, you have to be better than 400K people, over 23 rounds. I have more control over how I will perform over 23 rounds, than I do over 04 rounds. We aren't picking player in the knowledge they are going to score their average every week. There will obviously be flucuations. We can't control either. But we can better 'control' a players average, rather than the flucuations from week to week.

Doesn't it irk you that the ideology to win win one half of the prize pool, conflicts with the ideology to win the other half of the prize pool?

You're arguing semantics now. As a principle, you can't win a league without having 04 good weeks in rounds 20-23. To make finals, you only have to finish 8th. If you nail your starting team, you can do this quite easily, whilst only sacrificing 16 trades, leaving a full complement of 08 trades for the last 4 weeks. You would never do this going for overall ranking.

As a principle, to finish 1st overall, and I know this all too well, you have to be better than 400K people, for 23 rounds. I have more control over how I will perform over 23 rounds, than I do over 04 rounds. We aren't picking player in the knowledge they are going to score their average every week. There will obviously be flucuations. We can't control either. But we can better 'control' a players average, rather than the flucuations from week to week.

Doesn't it irk you that the ideology to win win one half of the prize pool, conflicts with the ideology to win the other half of the prize pool?

Would you rather the four points when Essendon plays, or have them kick 25 goals and lose?

Beating the opponent is far more fun than scoring highly. You might as well not join a league if thats all you're interested in.

Should Collingwood have won the flag last year? Should Geelong in 08?

You got to beat your opponent - not score highest over the year.

And the ideology isn't completely different. I know that i'll be trying to score as highly as I can every week. It adds another dimension though, I need to carefully manage my trades to ensure, first and foremost that I make finals, and second can actually compete when I get there (kind of like how teams manage their lists in the real world heading into finals).

If you're so confident that hovering at or around eighth, hoarding your trades and attempting to blitz the competition in finals time would work, then do it.

I don't like your chances, but hey, give it a crack.

Would you rather the four points when Essendon plays, or have them kick 25 goals and lose?

Beating the opponent is far more fun than scoring highly. You might as well not join a league if thats all you're interested in.

Should Collingwood have won the flag last year? Should Geelong in 08?

You got to beat your opponent - not score highest over the year.

And the ideology isn't completely different. I know that i'll be trying to score as highly as I can every week. It adds another dimension though, I need to carefully manage my trades to ensure, first and foremost that I make finals, and second can actually compete when I get there (kind of like how teams manage their lists in the real world heading into finals).

If you're so confident that hovering at or around eighth, hoarding your trades and attempting to blitz the competition in finals time would work, then do it.

I don't like your chances, but hey, give it a crack.
I'm sorry, but you are illogical, and it hurts my brain to try and make sense of how your terrible analogies and flawed arguments. You win by sheer weight of illogicality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry, but you are illogical, and it hurts my brain to try and make sense of how your terrible analogies and flawed arguments. You win by sheer weight of illogicality.

Mate, I'm hurt. I thought my analogies were bitchin....

Winning by sheer weight of illogicality; is that like winning the AFL premiership season by tallying up points for? :D

I think that single feature makes the wager more interesting.

And that's fair enough; each to their own. Everyone has their own opinion, and I have expressed mine. I know what will give me more +EV; you can't blame a guy looking out for his best interest.

I think that single feature makes the wager more interesting.

I agree with that.

I'll be treating my team as I always do, with overall in mind, but I love the added intrigue of having people saving their trades being in with a shit for a prize even though I'll probably be higher on the ladder than them (trying to score as many points as possible from Rd 1).

I think having both is a good idea, if you fall away early from the overall points you still have something to aim for come seasons end. Best of both worlds really.

I understand you don't like me SirJimi, but that shouldn't cloud your better judgement. It's pretty hypocritical. Just saying.

Geez, you've got a nerve. Your sole intention when you came onto this thread was to try and recruit people to your competitions. You hijaked the thread, telling everyone how you don't think It's a good idea and how your competitions are better.

Now you wanna kick up a shit because the rules aren't to your liking. Lets get something straight. This has nothing to do with like or dislike. A number of people conveyed to me that they prefer having the competition more evenly weighted. Personally I prefer the overall style comps but I'm not selfish. If that's what people want that's what they get.

Also, to be honest with you, your say carries less weight. The guys who have voiced their concerns are regular, well respected posters on this board. I don't think you've ever posted on here have you? First time I noticed you on this board was when you hijaked my thread.

And that's fair enough; each to their own. Everyone has their own opinion, and I have expressed mine. I know what will give me more +EV; you can't blame a guy looking out for his best interest.

Yeah but you are just selfish. Have been from your very first post where you tried using this thread as a medium for your own competitions.

Now that we have all expressed our opinions, I bode you well in your SC season. All the best.

Hey guys, just a quick request. For those that are going to play but are yet to join the comp could you do so. I just want to make sure we fill the league. Seems to be plenty of people keen from this thread, but only 7 have joined the actual comp. Pedantic I know, as their is plenty of time left. Just want to get a rough estimation of actual numbers. As a non filled league will be quite shit.

invite code: 179631

Geez, you've got a nerve. Your sole intention when you came onto this thread was to try and recruit people to your competitions. You hijaked the thread, telling everyone how you don't think It's a good idea and how your competitions are better.

Now you wanna kick up a shit because the rules aren't to your liking. Lets get something straight. This has nothing to do with like or dislike. A number of people conveyed to me that they prefer having the competition more evenly weighted. Personally I prefer the overall style comps but I'm not selfish. If that's what people want that's what they get.

Also, to be honest with you, your say carries less weight. The guys who have voiced their concerns are regular, well respected posters on this board. I don't think you've ever posted on here have you? First time I noticed you on this board was when you hijaked my thread.

Yeah but you are just selfish. Have been from your very first post where you tried using this thread as a medium for your own competitions.

Now that we have all expressed our opinions, I bode you well in your SC season. All the best.

content_round.php
2011bomberenginel.jpg

Either way, I was just trying to help. We should be working together; as you can attest, it's hard enough as it is setting up one league.

The most ironic part about this whole thing, is your rationale. It would be "more fun" if it was just Essendon supporters. You say that, yet, you already have allowed a Carlton supporter to join, and it was also intimated that if the league doesn't fill, more opposition supporters would be sought out. If it's not pure Essendon, you might as well go to the source, with more denominations and bigger fields.

Whilst the rules may not be to your liking (except, they are personally to your liking), 200+ expressions of interest vs 10(?), probably puts me in the majority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions Essendon board SC cash league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back