News Essendon members to vote on new clash jumper for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Bowing to outside pressure. Would prefer they stick to their red sash policy.
What outside pressure? It’s a commonsense move. I’ve seen a good number of fans wonder why they don’t just go with the clean black sash on red, instead of dancing around the “constitution” argument by incorporating all these weird design elements to retain some semblance of a black sash.

I feel like this poll/image should be accompanied by some more context, which I know there is some given that the reddit post about this poll includes a few paragraphs from the Essendon-sent email.

If there are any Dons members that have got the email, it would be great if you could paste its contents here (without including the poll link).

Option 1 looks familiar, Freight Train.
42528833171_5e4335a519_o.png

PERTH DEMONS

In 2009 - the unthinkable happened. The Perth Football Club folded, and along with it, 110 years of history. No more Demons, no more Redlegs... nothing. That is until 2017 - following the relocation of the Falcons and the Royals, there was a glaring hole in the landscape of WA footy, no Perth team. Following years of petitioning, campaigning and finally the backing of investors, the Perth Demons were reborn. Playing out of a downsized and redeveloped WACA Ground, the club is slowly returning to it's glory days including the signing of Lance Franklin, bringing him home to where it all began. The club also has high profile names such as Jaeger O'Meara, Michael Johnson and Sharrod Wellingham on their list, the latter two being former players of the club. The guernseys feature a "split" sash, in the form of two sharp red shapes suggestive of a demon's horns - whilst still maintaining the tradition of the red-on-black sash element.

What outside pressure? It’s a commonsense move. I’ve seen a good number of fans wonder why they don’t just go with the clean black sash on red, instead of dancing around the “constitution” argument by incorporating all these weird design elements to retain some semblance of a black sash.
That's pretty much what I mean by outside pressure. This same message has been consistently raised on boards, radio and TV for nearly 10 years and has picked up more steam with the current design: that the club should forgo its preference for a red sash which has been worn on every jumper the club has ran out in since 1897. The club itself has maintained that it wants to keep this tradition, so now holding it to a fan vote is effectively bowing to the pressure, I would prefer they stuck to their arrogant conviction, even though the alternative is arguably more clean/sensible.

That's pretty much what I mean by outside pressure. This same message has been consistently raised on boards, radio and TV for nearly 10 years and has picked up more steam with the current design: that the club should forgo its preference for a red sash which has been worn on every jumper the club has ran out in since 1897. The club itself has maintained that it wants to keep this tradition, so now holding it to a fan vote is effectively bowing to the pressure, I would prefer they stuck to their arrogant conviction, even though the alternative is arguably more clean/sensible.
You conveniently forget the rest of that part of the Constitution where it says "at the discretion of the AFL".

Seriously, drop the entitlement. Doesn't matter if it's 1897 or 1997 - every club needs a clash jumper that provides sufficient contrast. Oh, and actually wear it.

You conveniently forget the rest of that part of the Constitution where it says "at the discretion of the AFL".

Seriously, drop the entitlement. Doesn't matter if it's 1897 or 1997 - every club needs a clash jumper that provides sufficient contrast. Oh, and actually wear it.
Irrelevant here - the AFL has had no bearing on whether we wear a red sash or a black sash, just that the base of the jumper be a 'light colour'.
Plus, I'm not a 'constitutionalist' - the fact is the club has said they don't want to break their tradition of wearing a red sash in every game, it doesn't matter whether it's in the constitution for me, we shouldn't be rushing to break 152 years of tradition simply because something will look cleaner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My kids played at a club with Essendon’s colours and were years ahead of Essendon because they’ve had the simple inverse jumper for many many years.
But Essendon could solve half their clashes, and still wear their beloved home jumper if they just occasionally wore the red shorts away against other very dark teams.

Is there a 'new jumpers for 2025' thread yet? Seen on FB.. dons maybe (finally) moving beyond constitutional mandate of having to wear a red sash.

View attachment 2025506
I actually don't mind option 1. 2 makes sense, but 1 is a point of difference to tigers

Given all the options are basically the same, why not use this fan poll to judge if people think the red sash is really that iconic / necessary by having a third colour Guernsey with red sash on top? You can then with out if people prefer the Guernsey to remain poorly black and red or whether you open up the possibility of some radical Guernsey ideas for future years that all have a red sash in common.

Irrelevant here - the AFL has had no bearing on whether we wear a red sash or a black sash, just that the base of the jumper be a 'light colour'.
Plus, I'm not a 'constitutionalist' - the fact is the club has said they don't want to break their tradition of wearing a red sash in every game, it doesn't matter whether it's in the constitution for me, we shouldn't be rushing to break 152 years of tradition simply because something will look cleaner.
God forbid you have to come up with a proper away / clash jumper like everyone else has to, eh?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Essendon members to vote on new clash jumper for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back