Opinion Essendon v North? Rivalry or one sided rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Growing up an Essendon fan from the late 70s I never knew of a rivalry. North were equivalent to Footscray or Melbourne. I even enjoyed it when they had an under-dog win against Carlton or Hawthorn. I joined BF in 2007 and suddenly there’s a bunch of North supporters on this site drumming up all this spiteful hatred that I never knew existed based on forgotten history from the dawn of time. In return Essendon fans on here, somewhat bemused, have responded by denigrating this concocted rivalry thereby inadvertently being drawn in to a rivalry that only exists in this shadow world of Big Footy. I’ve never taken aim at North the club, or its supporters. I have no will or need to. I only ever laugh at their moaning about us on their page, which, let’s face it, is quite amusing. There’s no history there that eats at me and I’m sure it’s the same for most Bomber supporters. Richmond and Collingwood are much more worthy rivals.
The only thing that overshadows norths desperation to make it a rivalry, is essendons desperation to make it not a rivalry.

This. Collingwood and Carlton haven't been contenders at the same time for the best part of 40 years but still consider each other their main rivalry and hate each other. I don't think any other Melbourne rivalry would survive that level of "irrelevance".
I love it, footy lifts for it irrespective of position.

No. Growing up an Essendon fan from the late 70s I never knew of a rivalry. North were equivalent to Footscray or Melbourne. I even enjoyed it when they had an under-dog win against Carlton or Hawthorn. I joined BF in 2007 and suddenly there’s a bunch of North supporters on this site drumming up all this spiteful hatred that I never knew existed based on forgotten history from the dawn of time. In return Essendon fans on here, somewhat bemused, have responded by denigrating this concocted rivalry thereby inadvertently being drawn in to a rivalry that only exists in this shadow world of Big Footy. I’ve never taken aim at North the club, or its supporters. I have no will or need to. I only ever laugh at their moaning about us on their page, which, let’s face it, is quite amusing. There’s no history there that eats at me and I’m sure it’s the same for most Bomber supporters. Richmond and Collingwood are much more worthy rivals.
I'm born in the 90s and started following football in the 2000s. I also know a ton of North fans (probably only behind Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton) so the Essendon-North rivalry has always been there for me and many of the Essendon fans I know.

Of course Essendon-North meant nothing in the 70s because it was mainly from the 90s. Just like there wasn't anything between Hawthorn-Essendon before the 80s. Sure historically North were treated in a certain way by Essendon, but that was more one-sided given there was nothing significant the other way until those great games in the 90s. It's like how Essendon supporters typically dislike Sydney more than the other way given we almost always receive the short end of the stick when it comes to controversies.

It's funny how 1 point in both the 96 and 99 prelim stopped this rivalry from being one of the bigger modern day rivalries.

To the Essendon and north fans out there. Is this a rivalry or just a one sided one?

The way I see it north like to pump it up where Essendon couldn’t care about north as a so called rival, they have bigger rivals to worry about.

It was an older rivalry, they basically stole our team then blocked us from entering the VFL, don't expect a Port supporter to understand it, hell, most bombers fans don't know their own history. It doesn't have much relevance to the modern game, nobody really cares what happened a hundred years ago.

I'm born in the 90s and started following football in the 2000s. I also know a ton of North fans (probably only behind Essendon, Collingwood and Carlton) so the Essendon-North rivalry has always been there for me and many of the Essendon fans I know.

Of course Essendon-North meant nothing in the 70s because it was mainly from the 90s. Just like there wasn't anything between Hawthorn-Essendon before the 80s. Sure historically North were treated in a certain way by Essendon, but that was more one-sided given there was nothing significant the other way until those great games in the 90s. It's like how Essendon supporters typically dislike Sydney more than the other way given we almost always receive the short end of the stick when it comes to controversies.

It's funny how 1 point in both the 96 and 99 prelim stopped this rivalry from being one of the bigger modern day rivalries.
Well, I lived through the 90s too and they remained just another team who happened to be up and about when we were. I don’t think there were that many big memorable games between the 2 teams unlike the Ess/ Haw era of the 80s. Geelong were up and about at the same time, we had more huge games against them in the late 80s and 90s but I don’t consider them a big rival either. As I said, it took BF to alert me to this North ‘rivalry’. It’s concocted nonsense from people who never lived through the times for which they are holding their grudge. Even the marshmallow era was concocted. I don’t see a Sydney rivalry either. There’s been plenty of close games recently but the only heated stuff is based around some umpiring leniency up there.

Well, I lived through the 90s too and they remained just another team who happened to be up and about when we were. I don’t think there were that many big memorable games between the 2 teams unlike the Ess/ Haw era of the 80s. Geelong were up and about at the same time, we had more huge games against them in the late 80s and 90s but I don’t consider them a big rival either. As I said, it took BF to alert me to this North ‘rivalry’. It’s concocted nonsense from people who never lived through the times for which they are holding their grudge. Even the marshmallow era was concocted. I don’t see a Sydney rivalry either. There’s been plenty of close games recently but the only heated stuff is based around some umpiring leniency up there.
Maybe you’re just super passive.

I have plenty of Essendon mates that hate us from the 90s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's no way near as much build up as their is with Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc.

Norths board has a legit ~2000 page thread up about us.

That's all you need to know who cares about this.

We are living rent free and we don't even care.

I dont think any genuine rivalry exists outside bigfooty.

Like many other teams you had the short term rivalry in the late 90s, marshmellows etc with Sheedy.

The 2 clubs haven't played a meaningful match since 2014.

There's a rivalry, but it doesn't really extend beyond bigfooty - despite some marketing team attempts to do so at times.

We have both been pretty shit for a while, they used to always beat us, now we always beat them.

Because we started our run of beating them around the time of the ASADA shit it seems to have especially triggered a small group of bigfooty north fans, who will probably only be able to move on when their team starts being decent again.

Until then they desperately need to hate us, and we really don't want to give them anything.

Everything else was in the past and pretty dead and buried by 2010, so anything saying there's some historical basis there is just dredging irrelevant shit up to try and make what's going on now seem more than it is.

I had forgotten about the marshmallows. You guys should bring that back!

That comeback game was pretty unhinged too. Forgot about that as well. Different era!

I had forgotten about the marshmallows. You guys should bring that back!

That comeback game was pretty unhinged too. Forgot about that as well. Different era!
Second best comeback to the Lions vs. Cats one IMO. I know the Dons vs. Roos one was more points, but the fashion of the win was better. Ash McGrath on the siren.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back