Preview Essendon vs St Kilda Saints - 7:25pm Saturday, 1st of April 2023 at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to Moorabbin was always an experience. Dad and I , off we‘d go....
I was there for
1. Don’s president labels stkilda animals. After sidebottom , Dietrich, sarua went the knuckle . Terry Cahill swallowed his tounge.
2. Phil Carmen goes coco bananas. smacking pricks left right and centre, including boundary umps.
3. Usually taking the four points
4. Daniher, Daniher, Daniher, Daniher. Seeing all four run out and win.Magnifcent. Might explain to a few about how I feel about Joe Daniher. (Essendon royalty you campaigner)
Can we mention the h2h record against this mob ? I will save you the time.
******* embarrassing.
You'd think id have a soft spot for them
The red and black drew me to the dons...the white isn't too far off.

My dad is from Cheltenham. Not too far from their (lol) home.

Granddad was best mates with papa barker.

Yet their existence irks me as much as north :p well maybe not that much but still.

Merrett interviewed on 7 news. Said Stringer is more than likely to play this week. Said Stringer is fired up with a point to prove.

Made mention that Stringer has worked harder than he has before and has been driving the group. Hopes that the effort Stringer has been putting in translates into on-field performance.

sigh
7g8dqx.jpg
Joel selwood won more finals than your entire football club has over 150 years.

Yep. I just feel McGrath, Redman, Hind and D'Ambrosia all in the back half is imbalanced.
You'd be right.

Saints supporters really are a sad bunch with very few sane brain cells to have a reaonsable conversation about.

"you da drugs cheatzzz"
"can't hear you from up the top of the ladder"
"you haven't done anything in 18 years"

went to have a decent discussion as I try to but again, very few mature enough brain cells to discuss the game about..

Doubt Weideman plays as Brad Scott says no risks with players not 100%. Stringer to return and we will need his flare as scoring will be difficult.

Expect this to be a reality check of where we are at. Our forward line won’t be getting 60 i50 like first couple weeks, more like 45 and when we do it’ll often be long high balls. Reckon we put up a gallant effort but final score reads something like 70-50.

Going to Moorabbin was always an experience. Dad and I , off we‘d go....
I was there for
1. Don’s president labels stkilda animals. After sidebottom , Dietrich, sarua went the knuckle . Terry Cahill swallowed his tounge.
2. Phil Carmen goes coco bananas. smacking pricks left right and centre, including boundary umps.
3. Usually taking the four points
4. Daniher, Daniher, Daniher, Daniher. Seeing all four run out and win.Magnifcent. Might explain to a few about how I feel about Joe Daniher. (Essendon royalty you campaigner)
Can we mention the h2h record against this mob ? I will save you the time.
******* embarrassing.
Yep, was at the Phil Carmen game, crowd went nuts. Remember beer cans flying everywhere and I ended up soaked in beer! Good thing was those steel cans were great to stand on (I was a small 14yr old)

So much more fun at the footy in those days, even for a kid!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. I just feel McGrath, Redman, Hind and D'Ambrosia all in the back half is imbalanced.

This is the question I have for the Hind-spruikers. Sure, he got a lot of the pill in the ressies. But who is he displacing.

McGrath has great instincts as a lockdown defender, and also offers great run and carry out of defense (although he has a propensity still to butcher by foot, but he is improving on that). D'Ambrosio needs to develop his pure defensive game, but is clearly focused on doing just that, and already has lethal speed and critically, a genuine weapon for a left peg: he can hit a chest 40m away without the ball getting higher than about 10m. Very un-Essendon like.

Hind's problem is that on his best days, he has bog-average disposal, and on his less-than-best days, he's a turnover merchant. He has great pace but not hugely different from what D'Ambrosio or McGrath have. And as a lockdown defender, he's not much better than Massimo, and miles off what Pidge can offer.

So how to justify dropping one of them for him? Is this just a champion data thing?

Looking over the Bulldogs V Saints game I noticed they gave way too much space to the Saints, waiting for unforced errors that never came. They were also slow to adjust and didn't create much of a contest when the ball was there to be won, and their tackling pressure was dreadful with so many of them not sticking.

Reckon we need to go in full tackle-mode and stick as many as we can, make them panic with self-inflicted errors and capitalise on the turn over. Try to limit Marshall's impact (who's become sort of a pseudo mid) with an extra around the ball and reduce the amount of time they have with it before they have to give it off. The Bulldogs did this for a bit in the 2nd quarter which gave them a sniff and we saw the St Kilda of old, panicking, giving away frees, but the Dogs weren't able to sustain it and went back to how they started.

Tackle, swarm, induce panic and gain as much territory as possible. Keep this up for four quarters and we'll be right in it.

I've been a Voss advocate this week, but I've realised that Sts defence up the ground has been allowing their defensive talls to pick off rushed kicks i50. I think we need Jones' stamina to again lead his defender out of the fifty and create space for Stringer, who sounds likely now to be selected, and Weideman, who also now sounds likely he gets up. If he doesn't, I have no issue with Stringer and Voss in there. Stringer will attract the heat and Voss can go to work. At the least, Voss will hit packs and benefit Davey, Menzie and Perkins.

Mids will need to be accountable at stoppages - poor last year but improved now, but so are they. We'll need to work to ensure their forward handballs out of the stoppage are pressured and checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back