Essendon's OOC players plus the 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Some players will be traded and there my be a bidding war on a couple but I think the AFL were worried about public rection if they actively moved the players to achieve picks 1,2,3,19,20,21 as someone here suggested.
It also gives the power to the players to go where they want.

These guys will be having a year off. Quite similar to the Cam McCarthy situation in that the trade value of these players will fall hugely if they miss a whole season which they will be.

If I am Essendon then I'm cutting a couple of the mid tier players so that they can overpay their stars to try and persuade to keep them.

Hurley, Hooker and Heppell (although I don't think Heppell will leave) but the other 2 might. Thats who needs to be protected from an Essendon persepective and poached from an outside perspective.

When you have a conversation with someone, do you automatically possess the knowledge that they'll lack comprehension? If so where can i purchase this gift? The person was of an equal age and seemingly uninhibited by mental problems.

With 5 minutes dedicated research, any football supporter with an IQ higher than prehistoric frog shit can gather the basics of the new system.
It's called reading the situation. You said he was a mate, so there was an implication you might have some idea what he does and doesn't know and/or care about.

I've got plenty of mates that I talk about footy with that I know wouldn't give two shits about anything relating to the draft, and other mates who might care, but not enough to read up on how the bidding system works.

The system's not as simple or as interesting as your making it out to be, either - Not everybody is a draft nerd.

Runour that the AFL is threatening players to stay for this very reason...

Bullshit rumours. It's just as good for the game for these players and Essendon to have a fresh start. As it is, a few might stay anyway.

IMO Essendon's best players are unlikely to leave. They will be the ones the Bombers are desperate to keep, they can't afford to lose Heppell, Hurley or Hooker, and so they will throw mega dollars at them (more than they are worth) to reward them for their loyalty and entice them to stay. They'll look after them in every way possible on and off the field.

It's the second tier players who will be forgotten about. You're much more likely to pinch a 10-22 good role player from the Bombers than you are one of their top players.

First paragraph strongly agree.
Second paragraph strongly disagree. They'll throw mega bucks at all the 12 players according to their worth, will all be offered overs, not all will come back. The fear of potential law suits later on down the track, it's smart business to offer even the fringies over the market contracts.

Heppell, Hurley, Hooker - Top priority signings

Hibberd, Myers, Hocking, Colyer, Bellchambers 2nd Priority

Stanton, Watson - Will retire or sign imo

Howlett, Pears - Will sign as no one else will offer them a contract.

I disagree that Essendon will be desperate to keep Hooker, as he will net pick 2 if he does leave, if he's bitter about being rubbed out for a year than a fresh start with Essendon being compensated would be good for all.

Double standards, yes. Hypocrisy, yes. Looking out for themselves, yes. Welcome to politics, and there's plenty of it at Essendon.

I disagree that Essendon will be desperate to keep Hooker, as he will net pick 2 if he does leave, if he's bitter about being rubbed out for a year than a fresh start with Essendon being compensated would be good for all.

Double standards, yes. Hypocrisy, yes. Looking out for themselves, yes. Welcome to politics, and there's plenty of it as Essendon.
Hooker is one of the best KPD in the AFL. We get pick 2/3/whatever, we pick the best KPD in the draft to replace him, take 5 years to develop him and he MIGHT get to the level Hooker is currently.

Hooker is one of the best KPD in the AFL. We get pick 2/3/whatever, we pick the best KPD in the draft to replace him, take 5 years to develop him and he MIGHT get to the level Hooker is currently.

Yep, and Essendon are in rebuild mode and Hooker is 28. You do the maths.

I've got no doubt Essendon will try and sign him, and offer him a decent contract, but if he's not happy, it's certainly not the end of the world and they shouldn't move heaven and earth to sign him like most of the others.

Club should have thought about that before this whole mess
How does that even make sense? "You know, we were going to do this secret dubious injecting scheme... But if people find out about it, and if were found to violate the WADA rules, and if we all get banned, the players can become free agents. Well, pack it up." I'm all for being harsh on Essendon but saying they should have thought about _this_ out of all of it is being disingenuous.

Double standards, yes. Hypocrisy, yes. Looking out for themselves, yes. Welcome to politics, and there's plenty of it at Essendon.
Hooker will not generate pick 2 if he leaves, because
a. Will leave as DFA. ie: no compensation.
b. Band 1 compensation is now granted ONLY for the top 15 paid players over 25 y.o.

How does that even make sense? "You know, we were going to do this secret dubious injecting scheme... But if people find out about it, and if were found to violate the WADA rules, and if we all get banned, the players can become free agents. Well, pack it up." I'm all for being harsh on Essendon but saying they should have thought about _this_ out of all of it is being disingenuous.

If you do something wrong you can expect consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and Essendon are in rebuild mode and Hooker is 28. You do the maths.

I've got no doubt Essendon will try and sign him, and offer him a decent contract, but if he's not happy, it's certainly not the end of the world and they shouldn't move heaven and earth to sign him like most of the others.
Hooker is 26. I'd also rather have quality players during a rebuild rather than do a Melbourne and stay down a long time
Hooker will not generate pick 2 if he leaves, because
a. Will leave as DFA. ie: no compensation.
b. Band 1 compensation is now granted ONLY for the top 15 paid players over 25 y.o.
a. He's already a Free Agent. Which means he will get compensation.
b. You're kidding yourself if you think Freo wouldn't offer him that much.

a

a. He's already a Free Agent. Which means he will get compensation.

It seems all 12 will be granted DFA status no matter what though. He could just leave and essendon get squat

Hooker is 26. I'd also rather have quality players during a rebuild rather than do a Melbourne and stay down a long timeh.

Sorry to break it to you sunshine but in case you haven't noticed or realized Essendon are/have/doing a lot more than Melbourne job of things.
I'm sure though you've got the resources to pull yourselves out of the shit quicker than a Melbourne, and I don't think they (Melbourne) could have messed up all the first round plus priority picks more if they tried, which is what the future (Short to medium term) beckons for Essendon.
Reality is, Hooker (who's 27 and 28 next year) leaving DOES NOT sting as bad as Hurley or Heppell as you will be compensated for Hooker's departure, and if he really wants to go, which is probable, weighing up all the pro's and con's it's really not that bad. Because you will get pick 2. Hurley and Heppell and perhaps Hibberd are the two or three you must keep. All the rest with the exception of Colyer and Myers who appear destined to leave other clubs are are meh or might retire. I think you'll be a monty to keep Pears and Howlett, no-one else wants them and it'll be two less law suits to worry about. You might pay Myers well above market rates too IMO. Hooker just another law suit, but if he gets a hail mary of an offer somewhere else that gets you pick 2 than that freshens Essendon up a bit IMV and leaves you arguably in a better place.

Last edited:
It seems all 12 will be granted DFA status no matter what though. He could just leave and essendon get squat
This is a grey area. He's already a FA, and if Freo send a $800k/year offer which is unmatched, what do the AFL do? He's off the list, to a mammoth offer.
Sorry to break it to you sunshine but in case you haven't noticed or realized Essendon are/have/doing a lot more than Melbourne job of things.
I'm sure though you've got the resources to pull yourselves out of the shit quicker than a Melbourne, and I don't think they (Melbourne) could have messed up all the first round plus priority picks more if they tried, which is what the future (Short to medium term) beckons for Essendon.
Reality is, Hooker (who's 27 and 28 next year) leaving DOES NOT sting as bad as Hurley or Heppell as you will be compensated for Hooker's departure, and if he really wants to go, which is probable, weighing up all the pro's and con's it's really not that bad. Because you will get pick 2. Hurley and Heppell and perhaps Hibberd are the two or three you must keep. All the rest with the exception of Colyer and Myers who appear destined to leave other clubs are are meh or might retire. I think you'll be a monty to keep Pears and Howlett, no-one else wants them and it'll be two less law suits to worry about. You might pay Myers well above market rates too IMO. Hooker just another law suit, but if he gets a hail mary of an offer somewhere else that gets you pick 2 than that freshens Essendon up a bit IMV and leaves you arguably in a better place.
And have completely changed the football department (other than the recruiters) since then, brought in an experienced premiership coach and know how to get out of a shit situation quickly. Melbourne's ineffectiveness to get out of the shitter was aided by the fact that they got rid of practically every experienced bloke worth their salt as quickly as possible, giving their kids nobody to learn off.

Hooker leaving would be an unmitigated disaster. He's the best player at the club by a comfortable margin, has oodles of experience and it would be very difficult to replace someone with that level of ability, experience and general football nous.

And have completely changed the football department (other than the recruiters) since then, brought in an experienced premiership coach and know how to get out of a shit situation quickly. Melbourne's ineffectiveness to get out of the shitter was aided by the fact that they got rid of practically every experienced bloke worth their salt as quickly as possible, giving their kids nobody to learn off.

Hooker leaving would be an unmitigated disaster. He's the best player at the club by a comfortable margin, has oodles of experience and it would be very difficult to replace someone with that level of ability, experience and general football nous.

Melbourne's situation is very different to Essendon's. Who is to say Hooker wants to go back there? And if he decides he wants to go to Freo or any other club, I think Essendon are better of spending their time, energy and resources on players who want to be there after all this mess.

In case you haven't thought about this, Hooker is serving a 12 month ban, for a club sanctioned doping scandal. In case you haven't thought about this, Hooker is serving a 12 month ban, for a club sanctioned doping scandal. In case you haven't thought about this, Hooker is serving a 12 month ban, for a club sanctioned doping scandal. Has that actually sunk in yet? Now, whether you think the players are innocent, or you think the players think the players they are innocent is irrelevant. The reality is it's quite likely a lot of these guys are dirty at the club, and for good reason. If you want proof of this just read snippets of Fletcher's book. It's probable Hooker doesn't even want to be there next year, and why try and keep someone that doesn't want to be there, that sounds toxic.

And I'm not sure how you get to where Essendon are now, to Hooker leaving and cry 'unmitigated disaster'. The unmitigated diaster, happened way back in Feb 2013, or was it June 2014, or perhaps it was Jan 12th this year, I'd say, Jan 12 2016 was the real unmitigated disaster, Hooker leaving for pick 2 might I add, is the least of your worries.

Last edited:

Ah, no, Essendon will be desperate to keep Hooker. He is basically our best player.

Ah, no, Essendon will be desperate to keep Hooker. He is basically our best player.

Hurley is a better and a more important player, moving forward, than a reportedly disgruntled Hooker, who gets you pick 2 and all the marketing that comes with that.

Hurley is a better and a more important player, moving forward, than a reportedly disgruntled Hooker, who gets you pick 2 and all the marketing that comes with that.
Reportedly disgruntled?

Can you link me to these reports?

Reportedly disgruntled?

Can you link me to these reports?

Hearing rumours he's disgruntled. It's far from inconceivable that this might be the case.
Oh, and I was actually being nice, the rumours I was fed was 'angry', which is a stronger emotion than 'disgruntled'.

It's a massive leap of logic from suggesting Hooker might be disgruntled (and yes, it's plausible that any of the 12 might be) to then suggesting Essendon wouldn't be desperate to keep Hooker.

Sorry, but it's rubbish. The marketing gimmick of having pick 2 wouldn't change that.

It's a massive leap of logic from suggesting Hooker might be disgruntled (and yes, it's plausible that any of the 12 might be) to then suggesting Essendon wouldn't be desperate to keep Hooker.

Sorry, but it's rubbish. The marketing gimmick of having pick 2 wouldn't change that.

My initial claim was that they would offer him a contract, and that they'd do nearly everything they could to sign him, but they won't chase him as hard as Hurley or Heppell as at least Hooker will get them a PP if he decides to leave. Pretty straight forward stuff. And if he's pissed off, and who knows how pissed you can't really judge, then a fresh start under those circumstances and under the circumstances of a PP would be evaluated differently. Pretty straight forward, logical stuff.

haha,

They'll let Hooker walk, in fact, they'll drive him to the airport if it's accepted that O'Meara was going to be traded to the Bombers on a mega deal, that way, they will trade pick one their second rounder and Ozario Fantasia to get the deal over the line. In fact their pick one and a second would probably get it done on its own, then the Bombers still have pick 2. We know they were desperate for Sidey and failed, so they will chase hard for O'Meara.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's OOC players plus the 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back