Essendon's OOC players plus the 12

Remove this Banner Ad

No, but the point still stands. Hibberd is worth a mid to late teens pick at best, but pick 25 is far from ridiculous for him.

I agree with you. Just not with the Melksham == 25, Hibberd >> Melksham, therefore Hibberd >> 25 logic.

I'd like to see Adelaide have a crack at Hurley would be a awesome backline of Talia, Hurley and Lever. Money should be no issue as crows had money for Danger that wasn't used. If there is enough cap space try for Heppell too but thats pushing it.

I'd like to see Adelaide have a crack at Hurley would be a awesome backline of Talia, Hurley and Lever. Money should be no issue as crows had money for Danger that wasn't used. If there is enough cap space try for Heppell too but thats pushing it.

Adelaide is the only interstate club with a chance of signing Hurley imo

Howlett wouldn't net us pick 25. Stranger things have happened though..

It seems every club would be a 'perfect fit' for hurley. He's one of the best defenders in the league. We're fighting an uphill battle to keep him with the ridiculous offers he has coming his way. Still have faith though, unlike hooker who I think is gone

Article on the back page of today's HUN saying that for Essendon to keep Hooker they'll need to shell out about $750K PA for him over at least 4 years, due to the size of the other offers he's getting, which seems awfully steep.

Cale Hooker could forgo $1 million or more if he decides to stay at Essendon

Freo getting super-desperate now perhaps if they're going to be willing to pay him $1mil PA or anything like it!

Last edited:
Article on the back page of today's HUN saying that for Essendon to keep Hooker they'll need to shell out about $750K PA for him over at least 4 years, due to the size of the other offers he's getting, which seems awfully steep.

Cale Hooker could forgo $1 million or more if he decides to stay at Essendon

Freo getting super-desperate now perhaps if they're going to be willing to pay him $1mil PA or anything like it!
Just rubbish reporting. $1m loss could be over 5 years $200k a year less at bombers. But really why would bombers want to sign up hooker he won't be around next window and if pick 2 which is certain is the compo they'd be mad not to push him out like dees did to Frawley.

I'd be over the moon if crows got Hurley. I'd like to see a good will thing and trade rather then screw bombers over and use delisted FA. A 1st round pick and CEY.
That's a pretty attractive offer if I were in charge tbh.

Just rubbish reporting. $1m loss could be over 5 years $200k a year less at bombers. But really why would bombers want to sign up hooker he won't be around next window and if pick 2 which is certain is the compo they'd be mad not to push him out like dees did to Frawley.
It's similar to when Essendon offered Goddard a big contract that was both higher per year and also one year longer than our offer.

If one club (say Freo) offer him $200K PA more per year and for one more year, then that's $800K more over the first 4 years and then there's the small matter of the following year. If he stays at Essendon, he's going to be 32yo in that 5th year and if for whatever reason he's not in great form by then, or if he's had a couple of bad injuries, they might offer him $600K less in that year than he would have made that year on Freo's 5 year contract, which might take the overall difference up to say $1.4mil over 5 years. If injury or something causes him to retire and not play at all in that final year, that could go up to a $1.8mil difference between what he'd make if he stays at Essendon v what he would have made at say Freo.

He's at that age where the 5th year being locked in could be a big selling point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work from David King on AFL 360.

If Essendon trade all their good players they'll end up with about 15 top 25 picks in a two year period.

Cool.
If I was a list manager and interested in recruiting any of the banned players, I would be offering a larger contract for them to be declaring DFA status. No need to be giving up good draft picks.
David King estimates were a little bit optimistic.

punching it out on my mobile

Yeah I don't know why teams would be looking to trade with Essendon. Or why players so disgruntled to leave after the supplements saga would want to go through the ordeal of trying to get trades done if they can just walk.

I don't know who we'd target (Hooker is overkill on the money he's allegedly commanding with Mackenzie and McGovern, Heppell I doubt wants to move to Perth... Colyer maybe?) but if we're smart we'd just tell the player's manager 'right, we're keen on your boy and will offer $x on the proviso they declare themselves a DFA' and be done with it.

Yeah I don't know why teams would be looking to trade with Essendon. Or why players so disgruntled to leave after the supplements saga would want to go through the ordeal of trying to get trades done if they can just walk.

I don't know who we'd target (Hooker is overkill on the money he's allegedly commanding with Mackenzie and McGovern, Heppell I doubt wants to move to Perth... Colyer maybe?) but if we're smart we'd just tell the player's manager 'right, we're keen on your boy and will offer $x on the proviso they declare themselves a DFA' and be done with it.
Don't think it's as simple as just walking. There would be a grievance tribunal where players would have to individually have their cases heard. There is a chance it could be knocked back for instance Heppell has signed 2 new contracts since 2012

Essendon wasn't found to have had an unsafe workplace until the most recent contract.
True, not saying they won't be able to walk but it's not as easy as everyone thinks. Who knows what party a tribunal will rule in favour of. Remember players were proven to have lied and covered their tracks during the saga

Two of the arguably most disgruntled players left through trade already so more trades looks more likely than delisted free agents.

After all, if these guys walk they aren't hurting anybody who's responsible for the supplements program. They're hurting the fans and the post-2012 playing list, whom I'm sure they're still quite friendly with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon's OOC players plus the 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back