Exodus watch! (Opposition supporters post trade rumours here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that lead to teams increasing their interstate picks. Could a VIC team not focus on the best talent in SA and increase their overall salary cap. You could have a VIC team with 50% plus of SA?

I addressed that above. The retention allowance existed for all teams in the early 2000s but none of the clubs in football heartland states took advantage of it, lending weight to the view that retention allowances aren't an unfair advantage, but merely compensation for a real disadvantage.

Perhaps some form of arbitration/intervention from the AFL to ensure that trades are equitable as far as possible would help. Serious enough that we are losing some quality young players but if we get screwed on the trade as well then our bad position just compounds.

For example, if the WCE were only prepared to offer a third round pick for Yeo and we believed a second round pick was fair then we both clubs could ask the AFL to arbitrate and decide. May protect clubs more vulnerable to homesickness like us.

There is often arbitration b/w clubs in the last few days of the trade period :thumbsu:

I addressed that above. The retention allowance existed for all teams in the early 2000s but none of the clubs in football heartland states took advantage of it, lending weight to the view that retention allowances aren't an unfair advantage, but merely compensation for a real disadvantage.

The VIC and I suppose also the SA and WA clubs will complain that it's simply a rule to favour and advantage the two QLD teams. I wasn't aware it's already been used and going off of your information only I would have to agree it is a good thing. I wonder if its a chance to be reintroduced given the AFL's recent focus on equalisation.

If I were the Lions over at AFL HQ this week I would be bringing it up.

A retention allowance could be scaleable too. I mean, homesickness is an issue which potentially impacts on all clubs. If the fall of a Victorian club's draft picks in a year means that WA boys are the best available, then they should get some allowance for drafting them, just as we would. Obviously, a scaleable system would then mean a greater allowance for clubs with a greater proportion of interstaters.

Or just a AFL funded interstate allowance scheme?

I don't think that would go down too well. The AFL really want clubs to be autonomous and thus accountable. Giving the AFL discretionary powers to make arbitrary decisions about drafting and drafting 'fairness' wouldn't work as well IMO as a strictly defined sliding scale system like POBT and TheBrownDog were discussing.

Only when it suits the AFL ;) which is why we're at the principal's office tomorrow :thumbsu:

Wouldn't that lead to teams increasing their interstate picks. Could a VIC team not focus on the best talent in SA and increase their overall salary cap. You could have a VIC team with 50% plus of SA?

I dont think any team would take measures just to increase their salary cap when they can get the same quality players on the cheap

A retention allowance is an interesting thing, but sadly I can't see the AFL doing anything but saying "here, have an extra 5% on your salary cap" or something to that effect. Anything that requires extensive thinking and planning I can't see them doing to help clubs like us out (actually, we're really the only club that isn't in a footy state and isn't getting any assistance :().

Big few weeks for Kerr coming up. I know many have shifted from having total faith in him to either wavering or throwing in the towel but he could really cement himself as the right man with what he does this off-season.

We just need a bloody new coach, ASAP.

It's not Kerr's fault imo. He does his job as the list manager negotiating contracts and trades. If the players we draft want to leave because of homesickness it comes down to the player welfare department. Sure some players are closer to their families then others but if the club is doing all it can for the players then an exodus of this magnitude, clearly would not be happening. Losing 5 players in one hit is no coincidence.

Having no coach makes life harder for Kerr when it comes to negotiating contracts. It's laughable if some people blame him for this. When you are probably about to lose 5 young players with exception talent due to 'homesickness', it comes down to the player welfare department imo.

Just hurry up and get a coach. Preferably Tudor.

It's not Kerr's fault imo. He does his job as the list manager negotiating contracts and trades. If the players we draft want to leave because of homesickness it comes down to the player welfare department. Sure some players are closer to their families then others but if the club is doing all it can for the players then an exodus of this magnitude, clearly would not be happening. Losing 5 players in one hit is no coincidence.

Having no coach makes life harder for Kerr when it comes to negotiating contracts. It's laughable if some people blame him for this. When you are probably about to lose 5 young players with exception talent due to 'homesickness', it comes down to the player welfare department imo.

Do you actually think that it's homesickness or that there are other reasons and being homesick is an easy way out?

God speed Dr Kerr.

Playing-Cards-Bad-Hand.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you actually think that it's homesickness or that there are other reasons and being homesick is an easy way out?

Given cotter was specifically talking about Kerr, what alternate reasons would you be positing that you feel Kerr would be responsible for?

There are a lot of factors that potentially contribute to homesickness. When Kerr came to club he made a big deal about aligning player payments with ability. The payments to younger players are possibly more complicated, because a player's value is largely about potential, not just output. Perhaps Kerr has overcorrected on payments for young players. Or maybe he was keeping his options open because he wanted to make a play for a key forward (something he has been trying to do the last two years, but hasn't landed what he has been after). Perhaps he wanted to give himself more leverage and it has backfired. Or maybe Kerr has nothing to do with the exodus. There are heaps of possibilities, and many different people may or may not be a contributing factor, including Kerr.

It's not Kerr's fault imo.

I don't think we can be confident of that. As the list manager, player retention has to be one of his deliverables. We don't know how he has approached contract negotiations, whether he pulled the trigger early enough on making them offers, whether he's undervaluing these guys in terms of $$ or contract lenght, etc. It is worth noting that none of the players who want to leave are under contract. That seems an interesting coincidence given players can request a trade whilst under contract.

I'm not saying he is at fault but I think that it is a bit early to clear him of responsibility.

A retention allowance is an interesting thing, but sadly I can't see the AFL doing anything but saying "here, have an extra 5% on your salary cap" or something to that effect. Anything that requires extensive thinking and planning I can't see them doing to help clubs like us out (actually, we're really the only club that isn't in a footy state and isn't getting any assistance :().

Big few weeks for Kerr coming up. I know many have shifted from having total faith in him to either wavering or throwing in the towel but he could really cement himself as the right man with what he does this off-season.

We just need a bloody new coach, ASAP.

Yup you need a coach as quickly as possible but I dont think you should rush it. Getting the right person in place is hugely important and it will be a greater positive influence than getting the first person available on board and then finding it does more harm than good.

And as for a retention allowance, odds are that the other (most notably stronger Vic clubs) would probably veto it. But your board shouldnt be waiting around and putting all their eggs in just that basket. They have to be creative and come up with schemes that will counter this bs exodus you are currently suffering.

Being a development state as far as AFL is concerned, you should be able to push some boundaries. Maybe things like having better access to RFAs. A more flexible 'third party sponsorship' arrangement for the 'developing states' and their younger players. Your board really needs to be strong and creative on this.

There are a lot of factors that potentially contribute to homesickness. When Kerr came to club he made a big deal about aligning player payments with ability. The payments to younger players are possibly more complicated, because a player's value is largely about potential, not just output. Perhaps Kerr has overcorrected on payments for young players. Or maybe he was keeping his options open because he wanted to make a play for a key forward (something he has been trying to do the last two years, but hasn't landed what he has been after). Perhaps he wanted to give himself more leverage and it has backfired. Or maybe Kerr has nothing to do with the exodus. There are heaps of possibilities, and many different people may or may not be a contributing factor, including Kerr.

I certainly see your where you are coming from.

I think a few of the players are just unhappy with the club in general. Docherty and Yeo both had a good run this year. But either way, if players are homesick it comes down to the player welfare department. Unless they are just saying they are homesick as a cover up of why they really want to leave.

Do you see the name Kerr in my question??? :confused:

Then why quote cotter's post about Kerr? o_O The implication of choosing to quote a post means you're replying to that particular post - hence why, to get the quote of that post, the button you click is labelled "Reply".

I don't think we can be confident of that. As the list manager, player retention has to be one of his deliverables. We don't know how he has approached contract negotiations, whether he pulled the trigger early enough on making them offers, whether he's undervaluing these guys in terms of $$ or contract lenght, etc. It is worth noting that none of the players who want to leave are under contract. That seems an interesting coincidence given players can request a trade whilst under contract.

I'm not saying he is at fault but I think that it is a bit early to clear him of responsibility.

totally agree...I would add that it is also his role to draft players who are likely to cope living away from home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back