Exodus watch! (Opposition supporters post trade rumours here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly see your where you are coming from.

I think a few of the players are just unhappy with the club in general. Docherty and Yeo both had a good run this year. But either way, if players are homesick it comes down to the player welfare department. Unless they are just saying they are homesick as a cover up of why they really want to leave.

Also the recruiting department which should be able to better identify these sort of issues. The recruitment of Karnezis was always a interesting one as the "homesickness" talk start almost a soon as he got on a plane to brisbane it seems, plus polec who looked shattered when he was drafted by us. We are near the bottom of the pile for players draft wish list so must really focuse on those who can adapt better so far away from home

I certainly see your where you are coming from.

I think a few of the players are just unhappy with the club in general. Docherty and Yeo both had a good run this year. But either way, if players are homesick it comes down to the player welfare department. Unless they are just saying they are homesick as a cover up of why they really want to leave.
I agree with you that there is more to it than homesickness. But I think it would be naive to think it was just a problem within the player welfare department. The number of our young players putting their hands up to leave this year (as compared with previous ones) and that it includes players who have been getting games says there is something systemic happening and I'm crossing my fingers that the new coach/board structure can right the ship before it sinks.

Also the recruiting department which should be able to better identify these sort of issues. The recruitment of Karnezis was always a interesting one as the "homesickness" talk start almost a soon as he got on a plane to brisbane it seems, plus polec who looked shattered when he was drafted by us. We are near the bottom of the pile for players draft wish list so must really focuse on those who can adapt better so far away from home
Is there a reliable predictor for players who are prone to becoming homesick? Assuming you are right and Karnezis and Polec were candidates for homesickness, aren't we obliged to take the best talent available which is presumably how we rated them at the time? If you are confident in your football set-up you will back yourselves to keep players who might otherwise feel the pull of home, e.g Daniel Rich, Jack Redden, Tom Rockliff, Matthew Leuenberger. I personally think the homesickness thing is a bit of a furphy. Our club stinks a bit at the moment and these players, no doubt influenced by family, player managers, other circling clubs etc, want out. It saddens me but as hurtful as it is if that is how they feel we are probably better of without them. If we draft and trade well, I don't agree with Alistair Lynch that it will set us back two years, given only Docherty and Yeo were playing anything near the required level.

The VIC and I suppose also the SA and WA clubs will complain that it's simply a rule to favour and advantage the two QLD teams. I wasn't aware it's already been used and going off of your information only I would have to agree it is a good thing. I wonder if its a chance to be reintroduced given the AFL's recent focus on equalisation.

Not while Eddie is around.......

God speed Dr Kerr.

Playing-Cards-Bad-Hand.jpg

Joe Hasham won 10mil at the World Series of Poker with a 7 + 3

..just sayin;)

Is there a reliable predictor for players who are prone to becoming homesick? Assuming you are right and Karnezis and Polec were candidates for homesickness, aren't we obliged to take the best talent available which is presumably how we rated them at the time? If you are confident in your football set-up you will back yourselves to keep players who might otherwise feel the pull of home, e.g Daniel Rich, Jack Redden, Tom Rockliff, Matthew Leuenberger. I personally think the homesickness thing is a bit of a furphy. Our club stinks a bit at the moment and these players, no doubt influenced by family, player managers, other circling clubs etc, want out. It saddens me but as hurtful as it is if that is how they feel we are probably better of without them. If we draft and trade well, I don't agree with Alistair Lynch that it will set us back two years, given only Docherty and Yeo were playing anything near the required level.

Rioli was past on by a number of clubs because of fears for homesickness...Obviously it is something clubs look at. I agree that homesickness is a bit of a Furphy, but all the elements that make a player leave citing home sickness should ideally be looked at in draft week. This is what interviews are for! Lots of industries use psychological profiling for potential employees, and it is something I think we need to look at.

Best cure for "homesickness" is success. Very few players leave successful clubs, especially if they are getting games in the ones.
This goes a long way to explain the likes of Karni and Longer and perhaps Polec, although realistically, Polec's injuries deprived him of more games than anything else. No doubt, his partying life-style and propensity for other stuff may have been a factor as well.
Docherty and Yeo may well be pissed off with other things, including Vossy getting shafted. If Vossy's sacking and Angarse's appalling mismanagement of that process upset the shit out of us, imagine what it would do to a young fellow who believed in his coach and who had a coach who believed in him.
I also suspect we have a "poisoner of the the waterhole" in the group somewhere and it would not surprise me if it were Karnezis. None of us could explain why he wasn't getting games and maybe it was because he was a 'white ant' amongst the group and was not buying in to anything the coach was trying to achieve.

Brownie has a lil video on the afl website. Some gen y thing. He mentions the homesickness, but he seems to be of the thought the biggest problem is the lack of a coach.

Brownie has a lil video on the afl website. Some gen y thing. He mentions the homesickness, but he seems to be of the thought the biggest problem is the lack of a coach.
Little Olivia steals the show though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli was overlooked due to fitness and I dare say his stereotyped as a lazy mecurial footballer, aren't we all fools now, homesickness was never going to be an issue for a boy who had boarded in Victoria since he was 13

Rioli was overlooked due to fitness and I dare say his stereotyped as a lazy mecurial footballer, aren't we all fools now, homesickness was never going to be an issue for a boy who had boarded in Victoria since he was 13

Reading Quayle's book, homesickness was a massive issue for him. They really struggled to get him to stay down there. He eventually built up a support network down there.

There would have been some concern over homesickness as a player I would have thought. But yeah, there were definitely concerns over his fitness and his dodgy hamstrings as well.

Reading Quayle's book, homesickness was a massive issue for him. They really struggled to get him to stay down there. He eventually built up a support network down there.

There would have been some concern over homesickness as a player I would have thought. But yeah, there were definitely concerns over his fitness and his dodgy hamstrings as well.

I read Quayle's book and it did point to some homesickness, it equally pointed to strong family support for him to stay in Melbourne and make the most of his talent. He slid for reasons we all know are now out dated and stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back