expansion after 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in keeping with the location of the new franchise, the stadium could be constructed within a great big empty hole... or would the hole already be there?

You'd be surprised at what the AFL could sustain. I know someone whose Dad used to work at a then VFL club back in the day and he reckons they could support 30 teams.

There is definately scope to add Alice Springs in the mix too. Imagine the tourism opportunitues.

And it would shore up Alice Springs as AFL territory forever.

Population 25,000?

Why not give a few extra teams to Richmond, Carlton etc. then. Plenty more than 25,000 in these places!

Mate - you're crazy.

I don't know about the politics of it all, but I'd love to see Tasmania and/or NT get a team.

The more states represented the more suiting the title of AUSTRALIAN Football League.

Would love to see all corners of australia being represented.

Would love to see all corners of australia being represented.

Now THERE's an idea- AFL clubs being started based on sheer geographical curiosity!

Cockatoo Island, WA; Somerset, Cape York; Seaspray, Victoria & Molloy Island, WA. (Google Maps can be REALLY handy eh) Need an extra supply of footballs on hand though, because once you get one out of the stadium, that baby ain't coming back too soon is it?

Who said supporting an AFL club should be EASY anyway? Let's make it really bloody hard for some of the buggers...

Its not expansion on the horizon after 2012. Its relocation.

Mate that's already happening! Last time I checked, you guys got relocated to Purgatory years ago ;)

Lol you idiot OP. Good luck trying to pay Gary Ablett's wage off an attendance of 232. $1000 a ticket?

This is the best comedy thread ever invented. The way he writes back with serious responses is the killer.

Nothing for Norfolk Island fans? Imagine their island based rivalry with Tassie?

I haven't genuinely lol'ed at Bigfooty for some months now, but I am pissing myself reading this thread. Kanga man, I salute you! :D

Gotta say I owe him big time- his serious responses have given me enough inspiration for almost a complete standup comedy act ;)

Kanga's messages are a bit like the WWE, the action LOOKS real, even though common sense tells you it couldn't possibly be... :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If its going to be done purely on economic terms, turn to the masters. McDonalds are the synbol of all things capitalism, just ask anyone in a protest anywhere in the world. Maccas knows where the money is. Therefore, every town/suburb/street with a McDonalds can surely support an AFL club.

That strategem would certainly go a little way to solving the 'AFL Event Horizon' problem Howard.

For the unenlightened- that is, anyone who hasn't read The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy, this particular economic problem is theorised to occur in a hypothetical future time when almost everybody owns their own club and we reach the point where it's no longer economically possible to build anything other than AFL clubs. Eat your heart out John Maynard Keynes!

PS- Don't give up on that nascent Frogstar World B franchise Howard, the dream will come true one day mate! (I'd also try explaining the burgeoning concept of the AFL Club At The End of the Universe, but we might be the only two who get it!)

How about a new franchise with a stadium INSIDE a McDonalds?

Whichever club has THAT as their home ground might get more hate than even Carlton do now...

Yeah, they'll have an excellent rivalry with the Pitcairn Island Mutiny - who end up replacing their captain and sacking their coach every other week!

And it's only sensible to have at least 2 teams based in Derby- sheer irony demands it....

Rumours that the two Derby clubs are set to merge to form a new franchise known as the Derby Mutation are absolutely denied - as is the new franchise logo leaked to me, described as an ugly disfigured beast of indeterminate parentage...

I mentioned earlier the possibilities that abounded with a potential Gold Coast vs Tweed Heads match-up in the AFL. In reflection, perhaps Coolangatta would be a better option than Tweed Heads.

Obviously the population, infrastructure and demand make it vital that the Gold Coast eventually has a local rival, other than Brisbane, to compete against.

What many people don't know is that Gold Coast airport is located IN Coolangatta. How many teams have access to a major airport where they play? The infrastructure is positioned perfectly, and conveniently. You could basically get off the plane and walk to the ground!

I certainly wouldn't want to miss that historic first match-up: The Gold Coast versus the Coolangatta Gold.

Yeah, they'll have an excellent rivalry with the Pitcairn Island Mutiny - who end up replacing their captain and sacking their coach every other week!

And it's only sensible to have at least 2 teams based in Derby- sheer irony demands it....
They would only have one team. But the derby match would be between Derby, WA and Derby, Tas.

Speaking of Tasmania, rumours suggest that Port Power may already be contemplating a move there to revive their flagging off-field fortunes! The relocated club to be badged as the Tassie Hydroelectrics and club offices located at the bottom of Lake Pedder.

It's a cruel world... ;)

I certainly wouldn't want to miss that historic first match-up: The Gold Coast versus the Coolangatta Gold.

Coolangatta Gold, with XXXX as their naming rights sponsor- I like it! And the coach can be the designated driver too...

Coolangatta Gold, with XXXX as their naming rights sponsor- I like it! And the coach can be the designated driver too...

Would be great for novelty to see a real red neck West Queensland team in say Mt.Isa somewhere, playing on a dirt oval, colours red and yellow, XXXX being their major sponsor. Crowd filled with drunken bikies etc..

Not in my lifetime :(

The town of Burnley in England just had its football team promoted to the EPL. It only has 70,000 people, they reckon half the town's population turned out to watch the playoff final yesterday.

So there's no reason why a similar town, like Melton, couldn't support an AFL team. It should be fairly easy to persuade half the town's population to turn out to every game if you supplied some freebies like branded mocassins. There's not much to do in Melton. If the council agreed to shut down the pokies and KMart during each match there should be no problem with getting a full house. They could build the oval on the highway, where the lion sanctuary used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back