Expectations for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

As has been stated earlier, we have too many league A-graders and B-graders to be anywhere outside of the top 6-8. When your team has two of the top 5 midfielders in the AFL in Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury, as well as a good pre-season by Dayne Beams, it'd be terribly disappointing to finish outside the 8, without a doubt. Add to that, the best contested forward in the game.

We aren't going to win the flag with serviceable players like Macaffer, Goldsack, Toovey and Lumumba playing like A-graders, it is going to come, like in 2010, from the youngsters having break out seasons. So if we see Grundy monster the ruck for the season, guys like Kennedy, Elliott and a couple of other smokeys pull out massive seasons, a flag is very realistic.

There are too many variables to consider when it comes to winning a premiership anyway.

My expectation/wish is to see us win big, if we are dominating, and not lose by massive margins if we aren't on. That is a big sign of a mature team that is committed and giving 100% for 4 quarters which is the one thing Buckley wants to see from his team.

It would be a great thing just to see everyone in the team playing with discipline and purpose and a game plan that everyone owns into.

I can stomach the transition year and finishing outside top 4 and all the rest of it so long as there is a real sense of common purpose being established with players that are developing experience hardness and a single minded approach and are willing to put team ahead of self. This is what Bucks needs to instil, the Geelong, Sydney attitude. Hopefully the young players will begin to understand they play for the most famous and best team in the country and play for the pride of that.

Don't want to see any more on or off field histrionics from blokes driven by ego, immaturity or lack of discipline. We have had way too much of that sh1t. Time to move onwards and upwards.

It would be a great thing just to see everyone in the team playing with discipline and purpose and a game plan that everyone owns into.

I can stomach the transition year and finishing outside top 4 and all the rest of it so long as there is a real sense of common purpose being established with players that are developing experience hardness and a single minded approach and are willing to put team ahead of self. This is what Bucks needs to instil, the Geelong, Sydney attitude. Hopefully the young players will begin to understand they play for the most famous and best team in the country and play for the pride of that.

Don't want to see any more on or off field histrionics from blokes driven by ego, immaturity or lack of discipline. We have had way too much of that sh1t. Time to move onwards and upwards.

Agree 100%. I feel now that Bucks has the team on the same page and the club has removed those who were causing problems. Now that the players have had a few years to get used to the change in gameplan (which needed to happen by the way, the forward press is dead) we can really start to see where Buckley is at. If I can see us busting our guts week in week out I will be happy no matter the result.

I enjoyed watching other teams more than Collingwood over the last 2 years and the way our list is positioned it looks like it will be the same.
so did I... but I think a big part of that is the result of the disparity between our 2010-11 seasons when we really were a dominant force...and consequently we found our being mortal again hard to watch. That said I have enjoyed watching some of our young guys really come on and develop over the last 2 years... and marveled at the likes of Swanny and Pendles being able to keep going weekin/out at such a high level for so long. With our list ... seems we have some real talent to work with for once... not the usual bunch of blue collar heroes. We're in a re-build and we have to balance our expectations... I think we are no chance this year but can be back in contention next... so I want us to rest the older guns, play the whole list, focus on game plans etc... and finish bottom 4 and get a good run at the draft/trades next year...Much as I love watching us win... I don't think finishing 7th and losing in the first final will be as good a result for the goal....winning the flag... But if we're 5-0 after the first 5 rounds then yeah... forget everything I just said.

so did I... but I think a big part of that is the result of the disparity between our 2010-11 seasons when we really were a dominant force...and consequently we found our being mortal again hard to watch. That said I have enjoyed watching some of our young guys really come on and develop over the last 2 years... and marveled at the likes of Swanny and Pendles being able to keep going weekin/out at such a high level for so long. With our list ... seems we have some real talent to work with for once... not the usual bunch of blue collar heroes. We're in a re-build and we have to balance our expectations... I think we are no chance this year but can be back in contention next... so I want us to rest the older guns, play the whole list, focus on game plans etc... and finish bottom 4 and get a good run at the draft/trades next year...Much as I love watching us win... I don't think finishing 7th and losing in the first final will be as good a result for the goal....winning the flag... But if we're 5-0 after the first 5 rounds then yeah... forget everything I just said.

Boring was an exaggeration but I really want to see our boys more consistent. It was just painful to watch one in a game we are in it and the next were totally blown away.

Our best assessment will be after the first 5-6 rounds then we have a much better understanding of where we are sitting for the season if we can win especially against sides like freo and Sydney geelong . We can get a few players in from injury ie Freeman,Seedsman and hopefully get marley back we will be looking good.

But if lose the first couple get ready for a mediocre year at best

Yeah, I don't agree. If he weren't eligible for FA prior to signing then maybe I could go along with it.

That isn't to say your wrong more that I just don't see what's in it for Lumumba to re-sign only to be traded at seasons end.

That's completely ignoring the fact that he definitely isn't worth a first round pick.
Young ones will give Lumumba wind burn as they go past him this year.At most a depth player next year .First round swap Bwa ha ha ha .Gives some credence to those who say we overate our players .Put up for trade last year no interest REALITY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My expectations / Hopes ;

- Get senior games into kids.
- Settled forward line with Cloke / Reid / White
- Win at least one final
- Witts / Grund to become a premiere ruck duo (HOPE)
- VFL to go one better than 2013
- Matthew Scharenberg to become injury free & play a few senior games towards the end of 2014.
- Marley Williams to escape jail time & be free to play senior footy - MASSIVE HOPE

My expectations for this year were to see some young ones come along ,have a bit of luck gel as team and show some positive signs were moving fwd playing and coaching.Although posters are talking up our 2nd half against Gold Coast it sent the message to me and despite the razzmatazz hype flim flam bullshit from the club there are major concerns how the preseason has gone.Very tough early draw with a week to go ,we should be up and firing (like the Gold Coast) instead we look like we need another ,month on the track.Sure we've got players to come back from injury ,but our season maybe well and truly over before that happens.Maybe the club realises this hence Bucks extension to take the pressure off him.Hope I'm wrong on all counts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young ones will give Lumumba wind burn as they go past him this year.At most a depth player next year .First round swap Bwa ha ha ha .Gives some credence to those who say we overate our players .Put up for trade last year no interest REALITY.

Lumumba is a great player and i find it hard to see anyone going past him. Young will get wind burns first.

Really want I do want to see this year regardless of ladder position .COMMITMENT PRIDE OF PERFORMANCE NEVER BEATEN ATTITUDE LEADERSHIP all have been slightly off since 2010.Gotta get all these right before we can positively move fwd.

Feel mildly bullish about this year, probably irrational, but reckon we have more scope to improve than fall back (as do some other sides, admittedly):

Talls: Grundy might struggle for consistency, but Witts seems to be improving, White is a good pick-up as a utility / forward option.
Midfield: Losing D Thomas is a blow, but Adams a great addition inside, J Thomas on the rise, Beams injury-free, Ball, too (though he and Swan will probably start to slow up at some stage), Pendlebury should retain his high level of output. H. Lumumba and / or an injury-free Young off a wing?
Forwards: White a good addition, Cloke and Reid are a good combination, and we have plenty of options in terms of small forwards to choose from.
Young players: Thomas, Seedsman, Adams, an injury-free Fasolo, Broomhead, Elliot and Kennedy should be able to make strides. Karnezis maybe.
Backline: Probably where we will fall down if we do. Shaw a loss, question marks on Keefe, Maxwell and Brown, not sold on Armstrong, Marley Williams' fate uncertain etc..

Upside: 3-5 // Break even: 6-8 // Worst case: Miss the 8 (which might confer some benefits of its own draft-wise, I guess, )

Really want I do want to see this year regardless of ladder position .COMMITMENT PRIDE OF PERFORMANCE NEVER BEATEN ATTITUDE LEADERSHIP all have been slightly off since 2010.Gotta get all these right before we can positively move fwd.

I am hoping with the addition of Burns hopefully he can inject some of that into the club

Agree 100%. I feel now that Bucks has the team on the same page and the club has removed those who were causing problems. Now that the players have had a few years to get used to the change in gameplan (which needed to happen by the way, the forward press is dead) we can really start to see where Buckley is at. If I can see us busting our guts week in week out I will be happy no matter the result.

Now that I've digested the pre-season guides, had a closer look at our list and somewhat alarmingly Caro has picked us for the flag, I have some more thoughts to contribute here:

This has to be seen as a transition year for the Pies. With the relative age of our list and the turnover causing the need for players to grow into a game style and team environment, it is unrealistic for us to expect a flag this season. That said, it will be an expectation to be right amongst it in 2015 and it will be interesting this year to watch the maturity of hopefully some of - Thomas, Broomhead, Martin, Freeman, Fasolo, Scharenberg, Grundy and Kennedy and hopefully if fortune favours him, Marley. If these guys can all consolidate a place in best 22 we are in great shape going forward. As good as any side IMO.

The spotlight for me this year, however, falls firmly and squarely on two players - Keefe and Witts. Especially the former. A better than expected season from both these guys could make a huge difference to our season. If they both could function in their respective roles our structure would be almost that of a top 4 side. If Reid can play more forward than back we are far more dangerous forward 50 and if Witts can take the pressure off Grundy and provide strength at the centre bounce we are a much better side, not least because if these two guys stand up it elevates the performances of Cloke and Grundy in their roles. Taylor Adams and Luke Ball also have importance in providing defensive midfield pressure but I am confident Adams will eventually grow into his role. At this stage I am not convinced either Keefe or Witts can consistently perform their required roles. But I think this year they should be thrown in and given a chance. If by season's end they have come up short, then we will know we have to attack the draft/FA with an eye to going hard for those other quality talls we need to go from 'thereabouts' to flag threat.

Been rapt with the season so far. The first round had me worried but the response has been fantastic. The last fortnight has been a step backwards but I believe we will hit form again. I haven't seen a Bucks v Mick/any other coach topic for a long time which is also fantastic. We have been playing the right players most weeks, good to see bucks mixing things up on game day. I can see the direction we are going and it looks promising. Would like to see a speedy midfielder or two to help out the older players in the middle as I think we get opened up in the middle a little too easily when some players are not pulling their weight.

I think from this point if we miss finals it will be a pretty big let down. So from here I would hope to see us make finals, hopefully a home final. Can't see us getting much further than that. We may be able to play an amazing final and make a prelim but that is about it. Doing better than I hoped so I am pretty happy. Especially considering what we all felt at the end of last year.

Thought I would revive this thread. Have your expectations changed? Where do you see us finishing now?
For mine, top 4, made up as: Port, Freo (look at their remaining games) Sydney and then us.
No Geelong or Hawthorn? Big call :)

I'd say Port, Geelong, Sydney and Hawks will be top 4. We will finish 5-8

We're currently on '6 and 3' with 13 games yet to play.

We've got some tough games coming up that I think we've got little chance of winning (two against Hawthorn and a game against Port (at MCG)). I'd add "Suns at Metricon" and "WCE at Pattersons" to that list - so that's 5 of the remaining 13 I think we'll likely drop.

The remaining games: Melbourne, Bulldogs, Saints, Crows (at MCG), Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane (at MCG), Giants (at Spotless) ... of course we'll be favourites to win all of those, but we are a young list with hardly any experience to come in. We clearly have problems: a dysfunctional forward line, a non-performing midfield, and a back 6 that are young and unsettled. So I can see us dropping around 2 of those games.

So if things work out that way we'll end up with 12 wins 10 losses. And there's no evidence to suggest we'll be belting teams to get our percentage up.

So I reckon on that trajectory we're good for around 7th / 8th.

Of course I hope we do better than that, and I'll be thrilled if we do.

Last edited:
We're currently on '6 and 3' with 13 games yet to play.

We've got some tough games coming up that I think we've got little chance of winning (two against Hawthorn and a game against Port (at MCG)). I'd add "Suns at Metricon" and "WCE at Pattersons" to that list - so that's 5 of the remaining 13 I think we'll drop.

The remaining games: Melbourne, Bulldogs, Saints, Crows (at MCG), Carlton, Essendon, Brisbane (at MCG), Giants (at Spotless) ... of course we'll be favourites to win all of those, but we are a young list with hardly any experience to come in. We clearly have problems: a dysfunctional forward line, a non-performing midfield, and a back 6 that are young and unsettled. So I can see us dropping around 2 of those games.

So if things work out that way we'll end up with 12 wins 10 losses. And there's no evidence to suggest we'll be belting teams to get our percentage up.

So I reckon on that trajectory we're good for around 7th / 8th.

Of course I hope we do better than that, and I'll be thrilled if we do.

Pretty much agree with this. We may fluke a win somewhere and drop a win somewhere else. The main danger is running out of puff. So 7th to 8th, maybe get a 6th if we are lucky. Would like to win a final if we make it but just playing a final will be good experience for the team. Lets just hope we don't fall apart in the second half of the season. Am very interested to see how the team changes when Reid returns. He could really help stabilize either end of the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expectations for 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back