Ezard: gone for good?

Remove this Banner Ad

I've nothing clever to say, just thought we could use a thread for us to comment.
Unless something has happened at the club we don't know about I'd like to see him taken back in the PSD or (if we have the spaces) the rookie list. Bar his disposal by foot he looked really good.

The only other reason (apart from whether it's like what we did with Poulton a few years ago) I can see for dropping him from our list is whether it's something to do with the OP/injury that killed his season off 3/4 of the way through this year.

Also I'll ask here like I asked in the other thread........with him being de-listed is he an automatic inclusion in the main draft or does he have to nominate for the main draft..........if he's just in the pre-season draft it could indicate our hope to pick him up again should no miracles make it through to our pick.

dreamkillers said:
That I know but is he an automatic inclusion in the main draft or does he have to nominate for that.........if he has to nominate for the main draft and doesn't it would appear that some sort of deal is in place.
If he does want to continue I'd say he'd have to nominate, I can't imagine it being automatic. But frankly I'm unsure if he hasn't passed the deadline. Wasn't that Monty's complaint last year? He wasn't offered for trade or told he was going to be dropped, and when it happened he only had the PSD to fall back on.

1) Delisted players can nominate for the national draft or pre-season draft.
2) The deadline to nominate for the national isn't until after the upcoming list lodgement in a couple of weeks.
3) Players coming out of contract that are leaving under annoying circumstances (ala Nick Steves) don't fall out of contract until after the national, so can only go into the pre-season draft.

Any other players not coming immediately off of an AFL list must nominate for the national draft. If they are undrafted, they are eligible for the PSD. If they are undrafted there, they may be eligible for the rookie list if they're young enough.

Porthos said:
2) The deadline to nominate for the national isn't until after the upcoming list lodgement in a couple of weeks.
3) Players coming out of contract that are leaving under annoying circumstances (ala Nick Steves) don't fall out of contract until after the national, so can only go into the pre-season draft.

Any other players not coming immediately off of an AFL list must nominate for the national draft. If they are undrafted, they are eligible for the PSD. If they are undrafted there, they may be eligible for the rookie list if they're young enough.

Thanks for that - I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure.

It means we're a chance to pick him up again if he doesn't nominate for the main draft but that said it would only be a small chance.........at the same time it could also mean his op/injury is something that will hold him up next year hence the decision made.

Just on Ezard, while he got in and had a go, he was still very much playing SANFL type footy when he got a game. His disposal was average, and his manning up was state league class....be near your opponent at rest, but really be looking to dash off as soon as you can see the ball. Not really close-checking, but it looks like it when the ball isn't there. All of that is fine, but he probably doesn't have the speed or skill to pull it off at AFL level.

That said, I think he deserved another go in 2007...the only way he could correct that style of game is through AFL exposure and good coaching.

Peter Rohde on 5AA 1215, 15th Oct
Said that Ezard has improved over his two years and played some good games this year but that others (e.g. Lower and Bentley) went past him. They don't want a logjam of developing players so made some harsh decisions. Port have told him we would consider rookie listing if it works out. Praised his good work ethic.

Thanks Powerstuff.

Pretty fair reasoning again.

We have tended before the last 12 months to have this problem of logjams with our younger players stagnating in the SANFL and not really developing to AFL standard.

I think it's fair to try to bring in as many bottom-age players to the group in the draft, frash faces as such, to maximise our chances of really finding some gems in there.

We had that problem because the coaching staff often refused to give the younger guys a fair crack at it before this year.

I think hes definately worth a rookie list spot.

Speaking of logjams I was thinking ahead to next year and what delistings we might have in order to comply with drafting requirements.

I can't see, following this years cleanout, that it will be easy to meet the requirements. Wakes and Mahoney are obvious ones but then it gets to Wilson who may or may not have a good season next year.

There will be some genuinely tough calls in twelve months time I think.

Players will always put their hand up for delisting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the subject of Wilbur in light of the Ben Hart mess, I hope Wilbur jumps when the time comes because you just know if there's one player Choco's never going to push, it's him.

Toots Hibbert said:
There will be some genuinely tough calls in twelve months time I think.

Wakes and Wilbur will amost certainly be in that group closely followed by Mahoney but I'd prefer it if Lonie makes the decision on him easy by playing most of the season in the SANFL.........

As Porthos says players will always put themselves up for de-listing by their perfromances and given the opportunities available in our side anyone that doesn't step up will deservedly be cut.

I thought about Lonie and I also considered Motlop but I find it hard to visualise Mark Williams dumping either.

Lonie I'd be happy to see go and Motlop needs to put his hand up this year for sure. What is their contract status?

Pretty sure they were both on initial 2-year deals.

It'd be good to see Lonie squeezed out and delisted next year. I'd hang onto Motlop because he's a front-running finisher who'll be great on a forward flank when we're really up and motoring (2008-10).

Macca19 said:
We had that problem because the coaching staff often refused to give the younger guys a fair crack at it before this year....
Well all clubs are like that in the position we were in 2003/2004. But we needed to have done more in 2005 for sure.
Macca19 said:
....I think hes definitely worth a rookie list spot.
With 9 picks through the draft and the PSD I'd think he's a chance.

Bad luck for the kid, I for one hopes he gets picked up again.

As others have pointed out, his disposal needs to be improved, which is something that can be taught. However he possesses qualities that cannot be coached (toughness, mongrel, heart etc). Definitely worth another shot.

Porthos said:

I thought that all contracts ended on the 31st of October to tie in with the CBA. Are you saying you know for sure that there is a standard end date different to 31st October or each individual contract has it's own different end date??

Hell, I dunno. I just know the functional effects, not the words.

I also remember Scott Bassett being forced to stay at Port an additional year due to a change in contract dates one year.

would like to see power give Elliott a go on list/rookie as he is now fit and ready to show what he is capable of. Hard in-under midfilder with good hands......just what Power need.

This CBA runs from Nov 1 2003 to 31st Oct 2008. I think the other ones have had different dates. That might be why Basset was stuffed around.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the reason why uncontracted players go straight to the the PSD.

1. If you nominate for the draft you do so knowing you take pot luck and you can be picked up by any club and you will be offered the standard minimum contract.

2. If you go to the PSD you can nominate your contract value/wage and if a club drafts you, then they have to pay that nominated wage. Players who haven't been on a list before only get the standard first year wage if they get drafted through the PSD.

If someone knows for sure that 1 is wrong, then I don't know the answer to the original question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ezard: gone for good?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back