F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely, i find it a really strange career move.

Driving at a solid mid car like Alpine would have been a great start for him. Not like McLaren is any huge upgrade if it even is one, but now it will come with so much more scrutiny.
This gets brought up a lot but if he had the Alpine seat open he would have taken it, he’s obviously signed the McLaren deal as in his mind it was McLaren or Williams.

It would have never came down to Alpine or McLaren for him

This gets brought up a lot but if he had the Alpine seat open he would have taken it, he’s obviously signed the McLaren deal as in his mind it was McLaren or Williams.

It would have never came down to Alpine or McLaren for him
What, all reserve drivers generally wait for the mid season break with regards to the following season.

The problem is Lando can make him look really bad

If you race in a backmarker against a Mazepin level driver you can ease in to it without scrutiny.

Having Lando pants you looks a lot worse.
Or he can make himself look really good against Lando? Whereas if he went to Williams and struggled against Albon who is no slouch then his career is effectively over before it’s began, or even if he beat a Magnussen etc at a backmarker it still means nothing.

Whereas if he’s even just decent against Lando people will say wow this kids gonna be great. Look at Zhou, everyone’s saying he’s having a brilliant rookie year but he’s getting smashed by Bottas in a backmarker, I think they’ll give Oscar some benefit of the doubt against Lando.

It’s probably a riskier move but the kids obviously got confidence in his ability, as he should, it’s a move which potentially opens him up to a top seat asap, of which there will be a couple opening soon.

Once Ham/Perezs seats are taken who knows there might not be another top seat open for years, would you rather give yourself the chance to take one or sit at Williams for a few years and completely miss that opportunity

What, all reserve drivers generally wait for the mid season break with regards to the following season.
It was the midseason break, and EVERYONE thought Alonso was staying - Webber went out and got him a seat which he took, Nando left abruptly and here we are. It was never Alpine or McLaren

Or he can make himself look really good against Lando? Whereas if he went to Williams and struggled against Albon who is no slouch then his career is effectively over before it’s began, or even if he beat a Magnussen etc at a backmarker it still means nothing.

Whereas if he’s even just decent against Lando people will say wow this kids gonna be great. Look at Zhou, everyone’s saying he’s having a brilliant rookie year but he’s getting smashed by Bottas in a backmarker, I think they’ll give Oscar some benefit of the doubt against Lando.

It’s probably a riskier move but the kids obviously got confidence in his ability, as he should, it’s a move which potentially opens him up to a top seat asap, of which there will be a couple opening soon.

Once Ham/Perezs seats are taken who knows there might not be another top seat open for years, would you rather give yourself the chance to take one or sit at Williams for a few years and completely miss that opportunity
That is fair it is a rather pessimistic view from me, guess that comes from not ever being one of the best in the world at anything. They definitely do see things differently

Hopefully from an Aussie point of view this is a win/win and Oscar does well at McLaren and Danny gets in to a competitive car that fits him a lot better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is fair it is a rather pessimistic view from me, guess that comes from not ever being one of the best in the world at anything. They definitely do see things differently

Hopefully from an Aussie point of view this is a win/win and Oscar does well at McLaren and Danny gets in to a competitive car that fits him a lot better.
Haha nah I get where you’re coming from, I’d prefer him to be at Alpine than McLaren - best of both worlds of being in a midfielder but still having an easier teammate.

It could definitely be a disaster for him but could also be a real kickstarter to his career IMO

I guess we’ll find out!

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back