F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, is anyone else getting F1 Manager 24? It will be my first time playing the manager series, not sure how I'm gonna approach it, but it should be fun.

Nope. I'm not a sports game kind of person.

Interesting article, discussing just how badly McLaren have baked-beans gunned themselves this year. It examines a bunch of "what if" scenarios, if McLaren didn't shoot themselves in the foot.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...ace-mistakes-cost-mclaren-this-year/10633234/

They suggest that McLaren could have won 5x GPs this year (4x Lando, 1x Oscar), instead of the 1 they have really won (Norris in Miami). The constructors championship would still have Red Bull in front, but only by 4 points (compared to 78 points, with Ferrari currently 2nd). Lando would only be 26 points behind Max, instead of 84 in the real world.

Some of the errors they noted were driver errors, not pit wall blunders.

Baked-bean gun moments they identified:
  • Silverstone - Max overshoots pits, wrong tyres. Oscar not double-stacked.
  • Monaco - Piastri could have been on poll (and thus a likely winner), if all his fastest sectors had occurred on the same lap. I think they're stretching here...
  • Canada - Norris left out for an extra lap in an attempt to overcut, which ended up costing him the win.
  • Austria - Norris crashes into Verstappen.
  • Barcelona - Slow pit stop for Norris, and Norris over cooking the tyres, cost him the win. I think they're stretching here too.

The article focuses heavily on the errors affecting Norris, and ignores several errors affecting Piastri:
  • Imola - The team fails to alert Piastri that Magnussen is on a hot qualifying lap, resulting in a 3-position grid penalty, dropping him from 2nd to 5th. The error almost certainly costs Piastri a podium finish, possibly a win.
  • Austria - Piastri exceeds track limits, resulting in him failing to register a time in the fastest part of Q3. Piastri starts 7th and finishes 2nd. Piastri would have won the race, after the Max & Lando crash, if he hadn't lost so much track position at the start of the race. He would have been no worse than 3rd without the crash.
  • Silverstone - Team late in getting Piastri out for the end of Q3 run, resulting in him having a compromised final qualifying lap. He still qualified in P5, but could/should have been P2 or P3 without the team **** up, potentially putting him ahead of Lando at the time of the non-double-stack.

Apparently Newey has had a couple of meetings with Lawrence Stroll lately. For all the talk a couple of months ago of him saying no to Aston they could be a chance.
Hopefully he doesn't go to Aston, a waste of his talents joining an unserious team.

Interesting article, discussing just how badly McLaren have baked-beans gunned themselves this year. It examines a bunch of "what if" scenarios, if McLaren didn't shoot themselves in the foot.
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/e...ace-mistakes-cost-mclaren-this-year/10633234/

They suggest that McLaren could have won 5x GPs this year (4x Lando, 1x Oscar), instead of the 1 they have really won (Norris in Miami). The constructors championship would still have Red Bull in front, but only by 4 points (compared to 78 points, with Ferrari currently 2nd). Lando would only be 26 points behind Max, instead of 84 in the real world.

Some of the errors they noted were driver errors, not pit wall blunders.

Baked-bean gun moments they identified:
  • Silverstone - Max overshoots pits, wrong tyres. Oscar not double-stacked.
  • Monaco - Piastri could have been on poll (and thus a likely winner), if all his fastest sectors had occurred on the same lap. I think they're stretching here...
  • Canada - Norris left out for an extra lap in an attempt to overcut, which ended up costing him the win.
  • Austria - Norris crashes into Verstappen.
  • Barcelona - Slow pit stop for Norris, and Norris over cooking the tyres, cost him the win. I think they're stretching here too.
Lando in Barcelona lost that race by allowing Russel and Verstappen to get passed him on Lap 1.

But yes McLaren have dropped the ball, all very recently as well.

This is make or break time for Checo, if he doesn't get points here, he might not make it to Belgium? RB have McLaren breathing down their neck and they need points from both drivers, not just relying on Max! 12 races to go and that constructors title is up for grabs.

Last edited:
In a weird way, McLaren is still hurting Dan Ric's career.

If not for McLaren's incompetence on the pit wall and preferential strategy treatment for Lando, they would likely be 30-40 points closer to Red Bull, almost within striking distance and RB would have had to make a call on Perez sooner.

In a weird way, McLaren is still hurting Dan Ric's career.

If not for McLaren's incompetence on the pit wall and preferential strategy treatment for Lando, they would likely be 30-40 points closer to Red Bull, almost within striking distance and RB would have had to make a call on Perez sooner.
But at the same time, the only reason they are talking about dumping Perez so soon is because of the McLaren threat.

If Ferrari want to succeed again, they need to learn to maybe try not being so "Ferrari" for once...

because their current system has bought them so much success in recent time ☠️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure he’s too worried. I’m sure he wants it to be a car that can win races, but the combination of it being a dream of his and the massive cash will probably be enough to get him through a season.

If it can’t compete it might bring forward his retirement though as I can’t see him putting himself through years of it.

not the news cheko wants to hear. that said, quite a difference in doing it in race conditions.

the little guy isn’t short on confidence.

not the news cheko wants to hear. that said, quite a difference in doing it in race conditions.

the little guy isn’t short on confidence.

By all accounts there are 3 drivers in the frame for the second Red Bull seat, for the second half of 2024. Yuki isn't one of them...

I don't think Yuki has the mentality to spiral once Max inevitably beats him, which Red Bull clearly agree with.
He's quick but it can unravel pretty quickly for him.

DR knows where he's at, he won't be any worse than Checo and is the most vanilla, safe, Max pleasing bet.
Lawson is pretty chill and I doubt he will be broken like Gasly and Albon were, but is still mostly unproven.

Checo belongs at Centrelink.

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back