Check-Raise !

Formally: 1870 Proud
Jun 4, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Northern Districts Baseball Club,
I'm sure many of us who could not attend are keen to know a little on how the evening went ie:

• Rough numbers of attendees
  • Atmosphere
  • Results and comments from trial
  • Other comments
(praying to hear of no serious injuries... )! :thumbsu:

I'm hopeless with attendances but I would have thought a couple of thousand which is good considering people would be rolling in after work.

Players looked really fit. It was a very intense running game they displayed with every player up one end of the field with the ball and then fast breaks when the ball was cleared. It was warm out there and they worked hard and non-stop over the 45 minutes. They managed to get about 16-17 a side out there.

Stand out players for me were

Chad Wingard - he really is classy, took a hanger and looks a real footballer. He's a reasonable size now, would be overall as big as Pearce. Solid in the legs.
Brad Ebert - great workrate and anticipation off the ball.
Jay Schulz - just worked so hard pushing up and back and ably supported by Simon Phillips. He was a menace on the overlap.
Brent Renouf played and looked a cut above in ruck. Schooled Webb but I thought Redden competed well against him.
Brendon Ah Chee was lively up forward and kicked a couple.
Boak and Gray were very good, in amongst it.

John McCarthy did some good things, Daniel Stewart was busy and Irons bobbed up a couple of times to be noticed.

A few didn't play - John Butcher, Paul Stewart, Nick Salter, Jasper the most notable.

wow that was quick Ford. Are you posting from your phone or did you take off after the game??? When was the show supposed to finish??

I know Heffo said he'd take some pics and I'm sure PowerPete will have some to share as well. Look forward to them :thumbsu:

Also, to quickly note.

Jacobs looked okay. Other teams would still love him, he has the ability to pinpoint a pass to the wrong team.

Maccarthy impressed.

Butcher was injured and didn't play

Hartlett found it and used it.

Loved both floor and air work of redden, kid can play.

wow that was quick Ford. Are you posting from your phone or did you take off after the game??? When was the show supposed to finish??

I know Heffo said he'd take some pics and I'm sure PowerPete will have some to share as well. Look forward to them :thumbsu:

Only had time to watch the game and then had to go. It was over by 6.20.

Saw a couple of nice clearance moves from the centre square, looked like they had been well worked over the pre-season. Wingard popped up in one of those too.

Agree with Patient, Jacobs had a couple of kicks that made me nervous ...

Rookies were all much of a muchness. I would think Webb is no chance if Renouf is up and about. Hard to make a call after a 40 minute sprintfest, there's a whole pre-season to decide.

Brad Ebert bravely went for a hanger over Trengove and somehow Jacko managed to not only stop it but hurt him just a little. Jedi mind power I guess. ;)

Only had time to watch the game and then had to go. It was over by 6.20.
you must have left at half time mate because the game didnt finish until 7pm

White ended up winning by 4 points with black having a shot after the siren to win the game... couldnt tell you who had the shot though

would love to give an indepth review but unfortunately i had my kids and wife with me so i was just watching it in bits and pieces as we floated around... went inside and the daughter got to meet Russell Ebert, and had a kick and a catch

Jasper was inside with the kids doing kicking drills and it looked like he had his hammy strapped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowd seemed down on previous years but thats understandable for the time of day, and the fact it was only a part trial game.

Wingard was very smooth, and as mentioned isnt as small as I had imagined (though no incredible hulk). Classy touches, great kicks deep into forward line and a corageous mark.

Ahchee was pretty good also, nice mark in the square against Chappy (I think it was him). Looks tallish.

Didnt notice Blee much from my end, but hes a bit shorter than I had hoped.

Redden looks super fit and has lost all of his puppy fat, Gray looks incredible.

Irons and Jonas did pretty wel for the rookies.

I wont bother reporting on older players. Found myself mumbling "nothings changed" at a few players skills and lack of.

you must have left at half time mate because the game didnt finish until 7pm

LOL I asked one of the Port guys and he thought they were done when they went off. Fitted in roughly with the advertised time.

Oh well get a better look next week.

Oh yeah when Wingard took his hanger Cassisi was on the bench and looked up at the coaches on the balcony, gave the thumbs up and said "Good choice". :)

I had Hartlett as BOG for mine, looks menacing. Won lots of it and used it well most of the time

Gray looked dangerous as did Ah Chee up forward

Jacobs foot disposal was on par with me and I'm shocking.

Was very impressed with McCarthy too

REH was there and meeting up with NSW supporter group so expect him to post around 2am. :D

Sorry Russ ;)

And I bet his posting will still be more legible than most others :p

My obs:

Moore - poor first half, didn't find the ball and when he did got caught. Excellent 2nd half and a lot of clearances.
Ah Chee - classy, smart - drooling for a couple of years time.
Brabert - I'm glad he is with us. Finds the ball well, but is one paced.
O'Shea - most consistent performer - BOG.
Gray -excellent in the mid-field, just behind O'Shea.
P Stew - played deep in defence and was quiet, but player better when moved up the ground.
D Stew - quiet.
Redden - impressive - a lot of potential if the hard work is put in.
Renouf - will be an asset.
Jacobs - terrible disposal early, but a better second half.
Pfeiffer - workman like. Will be upgraded.
Irons - energiser bunny. Should be upgraded.
Wingard - quiet, but some glimpses of class.
Blee - not bad, not a lot of touches, but I reckon he is a bit taller than I thought.
McCarthy - average.
Logan - steady, a lot of kicks on target.
Rodan - great early, died out of it.
Hartlett - got a bit of it, but unusually missed targets.
Young - unseen.
Surjan - quiet.
Jonas - Ok, but a bit one paced.
Butcher - a long way to go, seemed a bit overawed.
Trengove - steady, played deep defence with Carlile out.
Pearce, Broady, Boak and Kane - quiet.
Brebert - quiet up front, but more disposals on the ball.
Webb - leapt well, but too short as a full time ruckman.

The games plan is similar, but out of defence there was a bit dare running up to engage the mid-cluster and then over the top or a sideways move to get around.

Overall a typical first up internal.

Crowd about 3,000 - 3,200.

Remove this Banner Ad

Family Day - Thoughts!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back