Family Day - Thoughts!

Remove this Banner Ad

We just need to be fit. If we have anywhere near AFL standard fitness levels this year we should win another 3 or 4 games.

Still, after we thrashed Geelongs 2nds last year I thought we'd win 8 or 9 games for the year. its hard to know until you start playing games. Unfortuantely other teams will be improving just as much as we will be.

Boak, hamish, grey, and ebert is a pretty handy engine room. C'mon Moore, time for you to complete the puzzle and add that massive body to that list.

Boak, hamish, grey, and ebert is a pretty handy engine room. C'mon Moore, time for you to complete the puzzle and add that massive body to that list.

Who is grey - it's not too hard to get your own players names correct:mad:

Yeah - agree with all the obs, but jeez, GRAY isn't that hard is it - I'm sure the name has been reproduced in some media over the last few years - at least once.

Okay, videos of the second half (I'm pretty sure they're in order). A couple of plays are missing due to me getting a beer.
YouTube felt the need to sap me of my already struggling picture quality. I also shake occasionally, trying to drink my beer.

One of these videos has Redden's goal too. I can see him getting more than a sniff this year if this trial was anything to go by. Just to be a second ruck to put his body in the way and make the opponents work a bit harder, make them tired, send Lobbe/Renouf in, game over.

Keen to see next week's game.

[youtube]B5T-vEetsYw[/youtube]

[youtube]-PGSrVsG4dI[/youtube]

[youtube]KNKLwA9X_0w[/youtube]

[youtube]suopJ8n2AuM[/youtube]

[youtube]TfxJXofQY4M[/youtube]

Thanks for posting the vids Cap'n!

Looks like the idea was to run hard and play on as much as possible. Skills were ok considering the speed of the trial. Can't wait to see Wingard during the pre-season comp

No worries guys!

I can't believe the camera was lagging behind the play when Chad Wingard took his hanger!!
3:16 - Chad's secret mark of the day.

I got a snap shot of our mate Ah Chee taking his mark at 2:52 on the clubs highlights.

p1000149p.jpg

By captnheffo at 2012-02-18

and also, Buddy of the year :heart:

p1000138.jpg

By captnheffo at 2012-02-18

Great work there Captain!

I wouldn't get too worked up about the skill just yet. The skills in the NAB Cup games the last two nights haven't been anything flash either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Captain - super effort, that!

Actually the picture quality is very good.

Only players who stood out as looking above average were Gray and O'Shea.

There seemed to be a lack of manning up through the middle of the ground, very few defensive spoils, lots of short kicks to no-man's land and playing on before running into trouble.

Boak, Hartlett, Salopek seemed pretty quiet.

Okay, videos of the second half (I'm pretty sure they're in order). A couple of plays are missing due to me getting a beer.
YouTube felt the need to sap me of my already struggling picture quality. I also shake occasionally, trying to drink my beer.

One of these videos has Redden's goal too. I can see him getting more than a sniff this year if this trial was anything to go by. Just to be a second ruck to put his body in the way and make the opponents work a bit harder, make them tired, send Lobbe/Renouf in, game over.

Keen to see next week's game.

The first couple can be difficult till the nerves settle.:p

Danny Meyer looked like the second coming of Brett Montgomery a few years ago. I miss u Dannii :(

The BOG that day was the bloke sporting about 7 different sporting jerseys, polos, jackets and hats.

Thanks for the vids cap'n, could of done with some commentary :p

Listen closely on the last video there is some, hopefully not so insightful commentary, on Brad's kicking.

hahaha, that's my boss. At this point, I was standing with him whilst he gave his insightful words of wisdom on the draftees. Supposedly, Brad's not the best kick at goal (my boss was somehow talking with David Neitz).

Let's hope he proves them wrong!

Been watching Port Adelaide internal trials for 20+ years. They're always the same, scrappy, miss-kicks, players running to wrong places, poor decision making... and ALWAYS overuse of handball.

Most encouraging is the numbers on the track.

Mark my words, with a full compliment of coaches, EVERY player on our list is going to show improvement. Your can't ask for more than that!

Enjoyed the facility tour and the place has a real Port Adelaide feel about it, there's Prison Bars and Magpies everywhere.

Went along to the family day and hadn’t had a chance to post my thoughts. Overall most of the seior guys did what we know they can (good and bad) so I tried to watch the new blokes. My random observations…

Schulz: Was almost the most dominant player on the ground. Geez he looks great when he is given a big open space to work in. Will be interesting to see if he can operate in the same space as Butcher.

AhChee: Excitement machine. Looks really good overhead and his vision was good as well. Play him forward pocket from day one and let him develop in the AFL rather than the SANFL. Cult hero status awaits.

Wingard: I’m trying to keep it in my pants about Chad but its difficult. Pretty sure he is now the best kick on our list. With Hartlett and Wingard it might just take us back to the days of Dew and Francis tearing down the wings hitting forwards with 60m pinpoint passes. Again – I’d play him in the fwd line from day dot and let him develop in the side.

Brad Ebert: The kid can sure get the ball. The kid sure can’t kick. If only we could give him Brett’s kicking ability we would have some sort of player! Can’t see room for Brad and Kane in the same side.

Kane Cornes: I just don’t see where he fits into our team anymore. IMO will only get games this year to cover injuries. Just can’t see him in our top 25. The same could be said for a few other senior players as well… I’m preparing myself for another year of media bashing and “why isn’t Cornes in the side”

Moore: What a unit – reckon he is ready to take the next step as the big bodied mid we all hoped Broadbent would be. Tough as nails.

OShea: Looked in fantastic nick. Just really impressive with everything he did. Giving him those games last year might really pay of in 2012.

Looking forward to see the boys play against opposition this week!

I reckon Schulz and Butch are suited to play in the same fwd line. Schulz plays as the genuine CHF and Butch plays as the sharp-leading FF he is. The biggie for me though is that both are very very good at putting on defensive pressure. I pity the fool that forgets these two beasts are around- they'll get themselves bashed!

Westhoff then assumes the role as third tall/utility floating anywhere between the goal square and centre wing.

What i did take out of it, and happened last year to... We get a turn over, come running through the middle only to look up and see not 1 forward at home. Have to sit wait. get caught, or bomb to no one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back