Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the pot shots at JB amazing.

I am extremely disappointed in the fashion that Boomer is finishing up. But I don't have a problem with JB being forthright on where the club is. We rolled the dice on some vets in the hope it would bridge the gap from our drafted list to a flag. We have come up short and have to go back to the drawing board. It is the reality North finds itself in.

His reign certainly has not been perfect, but in years time we will look back at where he picked things up to where he has left them and see that we are in a lot better place.

I think you will find that Chris Scott himself made the statement that in 2011 the players could have coached themselves.

Adelaide apparently lost the best player in the game last year, but they seem to have gone okay this year..

Anyway, that's my view and I'm sticking with it. I'm not "coming off it".

By the way there are quite a few people I know at Geelong who hold very similar views about Chris Scott.

But Horace, what you've been most vocal about today is the negative effect of us losing Boomer.

This doesn't sit with being so flippant about Geelong and Adelaide losing their best players, and stressing that the clubs weren't damaged by it.

Hey fellas.

Scott mentioned that if they keep all the veterans then it would be at the expense of the young guys coming through. Sound reasoning, particularly with regards to Petrie and Firrito who have taken the big step off the cliff.

Just wondering who Boomer is holding back in Scott's scenario?

Read pages 1-28 of this thread for an assortment of answers to this question.

I think you will find that Chris Scott himself made the statement that in 2011 the players could have coached themselves.

Adelaide apparently lost the best player in the game last year, but they seem to have gone okay this year..

Anyway, that's my view and I'm sticking with it. I'm not "coming off it".

By the way there are quite a few people I know at Geelong who hold very similar views about Chris Scott.

I'm not saying he's a great coach, just that the 2011 flag took at least a reasonable coaching performance. And I reckon that was modesty on his behalf. You're trying to tell the world both Scott brothers are rubbish at everything.

Read pages 1-28 of this thread for an assortment of answers to this question.
Aww man.

You could have just said...... no-one. Or listed a few names which would have taken less characters than your response.

It's not like I'm a troll. I'm just an interested onlooker and Boomer fan who asked a group of passionate supporters for a simple response.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey fellas.

Scott mentioned that if they keep all the veterans then it would be at the expense of the young guys coming through. Sound reasoning, particularly with regards to Petrie and Firrito who have taken the big step off the cliff.

Just wondering who Boomer is holding back in Scott's scenario?
Well, there are actual players on our list - Garner, Turner, Anderson, Dumont, Wood, Wagner, Clarke to start - who have had to wait on the fringes and now will have a clearer run to regular senior games.

But it sounds as though today was more about a message to young players on other lists that there is, from now, lots of room to play seniors at North and lots of money to be paid. Including Boomer with the other three, in the form he has shown this year and with all the publicity his form has received, has to be more about its symbolic power as a sign of major change.

My two cents FWIW.

Some of Scott's quotes about long term blah blah blah.... Has he realised what he has done for the past 4/5 years. I am really hopeful the right people at the club will also make the call on Scott so the club can move forward and truly start a new era and long term assault on the success Scott has failed to bring us.
yep, we've been told for the last 2 years how he was setting us for the future as well as having a dig at the flag. Now all of a sudden we have him and JB saying we need to rebuild again and get some quality kids in.

Any way you look at Scott has been a complete failure. I just can't believe he was given an extension, it was a ridiculous decision.

Thanks as always GR for the content.

Say what you like about Malthouse - but you can't argue with the fact he knows the game and has lived this situation before many times over. I'd say he's better positioned than any keyboard warrior on here to make a judgement. I reckon he's nailed it.
Thanks as always GR for the content.

Say what you like about Malthouse - but you can't argue with the fact he knows the game and has lived this situation before many times over. I'd say he's better positioned than any keyboard warrior on here to make a judgement. I reckon he's nailed it.
I listened too and I would have to agree.
I think Boomer should have gone around again and I told the club I thought so as well (not that they will care about what my opinion is)but my real gripe with all this is how its been handled media wise and how they have treated greats of the club with the announcement

Has now been removed.
Updated

14089282_10154017260161843_8403902939181562242_n.jpg

Some people legitimately can't make it to what could potentially be the last Melbourne game for these champions of the club and people are considering not going as a boycott? Jesus. I'd do anything to be there! :mad:

I am boiling the thermos atm.

Aww man.

You could have just said...... no-one. Or listed a few names which would have taken less characters than your response.

It's not like I'm a troll. I'm just an interested onlooker and Boomer fan who asked a group of passionate supporters for a simple response.

There isn't a consensus on the answer you're after, far from it.

IMO there isn't a like-for-like replacement for him, let alone one that can reproduce at his level next year (at the least). But everything comes to an end and I'm assuming they think that for the club it is a net gain in their favour to retire him now. He's unlikely to be playing in our next prolonged window, the team NEEDS to learn to play without him, and it frees up a spot for another kid in the team to fast track them.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-24/wayne-carey-backs-kangaroos-cull

Wayne Carey backs Kangaroos cull

NORTH Melbourne legend Wayne Carey has backed the Kangaroos' controversial decision to not offer veteran quartet Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo contracts for 2017.

The Kangaroos announced the shock move on Wednesday even though the club will play finals this season, having locked in eighth spot with one round remaining.

They wanted to make sure the four players were guaranteed a chance to play in front of their home crowd in the final round in case it was the last time the Kangaroos played in Victoria this season.

"I know it's sad but unfortunately the club is bigger than any one individual," Carey told AFL.com.au.

"Clearly they have not come to this decision lightly. [North Melbourne coach] Brad Scott and others that have sat down and have made it for the benefit of the club for the next 15 or 20 years going forward."

Carey, who played in a premiership alongside Harvey, praised the games record holder describing his form as "great".

He said many would question whether moving Harvey on is the right decision but he could understand the club's need to move forward.

The former North Melbourne champion said the timing wasn't perfect but it never could be when such decisions were made.

"[The] timing is not great. [It's] never great timing though when you are retiring some of the superstars from your club," Carey said.

"Three of those guys are North Melbourne champions. They have been sensational players and obviously Dal Santo is a champion of the AFL."

yep, we've been told for the last 2 years how he was setting us for the future as well as having a dig at the flag. Now all of a sudden we have him and JB saying we need to rebuild again and get some quality kids in.

Any way you look at Scott has been a complete failure. I just can't believe he was given an extension, it was a ridiculous decision.

That Board Meeting last week must have been like that scene from Downfall so often mocked when Scotts finally admits to the Board what some of us here have thought for 3 months.

Still who knows...we might get some softies prepared to get their hands dirty.

I only hope we play the Dogs and Spud gets to sit big mouth Goat on his arse one last time.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-24/wayne-carey-backs-kangaroos-cull

Wayne Carey backs Kangaroos cull

NORTH Melbourne legend Wayne Carey has backed the Kangaroos' controversial decision to not offer veteran quartet Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo contracts for 2017.

The Kangaroos announced the shock move on Wednesday even though the club will play finals this season, having locked in eighth spot with one round remaining.

They wanted to make sure the four players were guaranteed a chance to play in front of their home crowd in the final round in case it was the last time the Kangaroos played in Victoria this season.

"I know it's sad but unfortunately the club is bigger than any one individual," Carey told AFL.com.au.

"Clearly they have not come to this decision lightly. [North Melbourne coach] Brad Scott and others that have sat down and have made it for the benefit of the club for the next 15 or 20 years going forward."

Carey, who played in a premiership alongside Harvey, praised the games record holder describing his form as "great".

He said many would question whether moving Harvey on is the right decision but he could understand the club's need to move forward.

The former North Melbourne champion said the timing wasn't perfect but it never could be when such decisions were made.

"[The] timing is not great. [It's] never great timing though when you are retiring some of the superstars from your club," Carey said.

"Three of those guys are North Melbourne champions. They have been sensational players and obviously Dal Santo is a champion of the AFL."

Poty kettle and that

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back