Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott: "I love these guys... yadda yadda something about if they played next year.... If they're there I'll play them."

Scotts admitting that he has been unable to make the tough calls at the selection table. This guys is ******* moron.
Exactly. Its goes against everything that a top level coach should be about.

If this doesn't confirm what some of us have known for years they'll never know.

We are a footy club not a brand.

The pathetic reaction by supporters says more about them than the clubs decision.

They are one and the same thing. But let's see how it all pans out.

Calling this a "pathetic" reaction does not show any level of empathy for how we all see things differently and are entitled to have our own individual emotional reactions.

One additional uncomfortable thought...

There has sometimes felt a mental handbrake at the north Melbourne football club. A psychological blip that seems to have repeated itself over several minicycles in the new millennium sees us capitulate in the face of opportunity and never quite bring it together when it counts.

It really pains me to say it but excepting Wells every player who's been part of that long term trend is now gone. It's cold I know but there just might be a list management Jonah phenomena in there somewhere that we'll recognise looking back one day.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...d-careers-of-four-veterans-as-incredibly-sad/

Forced North Retirements "Incredibly Sad"
Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw reflects on "very hard decision"

North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw has described the club’s decision to end the careers of four veteran players as a “very hard decision” and “incredibly sad”.

Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo and Michael Firrito were all told on Wednesday that their services would not be required in 2017.

JB was sure that the players would be hurting but stressed that the club was more important than the individual as they put in place their on-field plan for the next five years.

“Supporters are quite rightly allowed the sentimentality that footy clubs aren’t,” JB told Triple M’s Rush Hour.

“That’s because they are supporters and they absolutely love the club, they’re members and fans and they love the people that play for the club.

“But when you’re inside a footy club, you can’t think like that. You’ve got to think, ‘How are we going to win our fifth premiership? What do we need to do to get there?’”

As for the timing of the announcement with finals around the corner, JB said the players wanted to know if Round 23 would be their last game in Melbourne so they could notify friends and family to attend.

Last edited:
They are one and the same thing. But let's see how it all pans out.

Calling this a "pathetic" reaction does not show any level of empathy for how we all see things differently and are entitled to have our own individual emotional reactions.

No.

Sorry mate your reaction not to support the club anymore based on the difficult but correct decisions made is indeed pathetic - you can be upset sure, but that's way too far :thumbsu:

Have had some time to digest all of this. Not going to pot the club for how it came out because for all we know they may have had to make plans at short notice, particularly if the players involved didn't agree with the decision. They may have wanted to make arrangements for potentially a final home game on Saturday with family, friends etc. I am sure the planned strategy wasn't just a tweet and a few paragraphs online.

Spud, Drew and Dal, absolutely correct calls. All out of contract, all on a decline, all just keeping players out. No issue with any of these guys leaving. The first two deserve to be celebrated as absolute stalwarts, while the latter was a key part of two prelim runs.

Boomer? I just don't get it. For everything about his age, or a player he is supposedly keeping out, there's also the argument that he brings experience, sets training standards, acts as a mentor etc. He's still comfortably in our top handful of players and still brings a lot of value on match day. Garner, Turner, Anderson and Wagner have all had chances to establish themselves as best 18 players at one point or another, and haven't done so for various reasons. It's a cop out excuse, PR if you will. He is one spot on the list, still comfortably best 18 and if a younger guy can't force a 38-year-old out of the side then who is that really on?

I know it's always team first, club first etc, and tough decisions have to be made, but I can't help but feel Boomer is a unique case and he has earned the right to call his own stumps. He's left money on the table elsewhere, stuck with the club through some pretty dark and tough days, and has instilled hope in a supporter base for 20 years. Is it really that inappropriate that he be allowed to time his own exit from the game?

If he was limping around on one leg and clearly done like Drew then maybe I wouldn't hold the above opinion. But he's not, he is still performing to a very high level. If he wants to risk falling away and risking his legacy by bombing in 2017 then so be it, but I think he has earned the right to do that and it's not going to make or break the club, or be the difference between a flag or not. It's just an extra 12 months where an absolute icon got to leave on his own terms.

Don't try and sell me the spin JB.

This sends really strong message to the young players on our list, specifically those who play a similar role to Harvey. The message to them is quite clear. Here we have cut one of the most decorated, loved and talented players to have ever worn this clubs colours, a player who at 38 is playing close to career best football, all so that you guys have the space and opportunity to set your careers up. We expect nothing less than 100% from all of you in your efforts to do this and have shown great faith in you to stand up and take over from Boomer. You owe this to the club, to yourselves, to the fans and most of all, to Boomer.

Jed Anderson, Kayne Turner, Taylor Garner and Corey Wagner, this is meant for you.

The message delivered was also to JMac, Cunners, JZ and Atley, have been told it's your time to step up.

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...d-careers-of-four-veterans-as-incredibly-sad/

Forced North Retirements "Incredibly Sad"
Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw reflects on "very hard decision"

North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw has described the club’s decision to end the careers of four veteran players as a “very hard decision” and “incredibly sad”.

Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo and Michael Firrito were all told on Wednesday that their services would not be required in 2017.

JB was sure that the players would be hurting but stressed that the club was more important than the individual as they put in place their on-field plan for the next five years.

“Supporters are quite rightly allowed the sentimentality that footy clubs aren’t,” JB told Triple M’s Rush Hour.

“That’s because they are supporters and they absolutely love the club, they’re members and fans and they love the people that play for the club.

“But when you’re inside a footy club, you can’t think like that. You’ve got to think, ‘How are we going to win our fifth premiership? What do we need to do to get there?’”

As for the timing of the announcement with finals around the corner, JB said the players wanted to know if Round 23 would be their last game in Melbourne so they could notify friends and family to attend.

What do you do to win your 5th flag. Well for a start you dont dump one of your 4 best players, thats for sure. Especially when he is getting games off his own boot & theres no-one to replace him. ffs

By the way, Hilly likes to have a crack at me every now and again, for reasons unknown, I must say, so when he does nowadays, I just fire right back. Dunno what I've done to disturb him but whatever it is he needs to get over it.

Not at all, I play each post on its merits. I've had a few disagreements with R96 but have happily agreed with him elsewhere.

Not trying to be callous, but does this impact their selection chances in the finals? You could argue if Waite comes up it may lead to Drew being dropped. Likewise for Thompson and Spud (Or would EVW play). Dal for Clarke etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have had some time to digest all of this. Not going to pot the club for how it came out because for all we know they may have had to make plans at short notice, particularly if the players involved didn't agree with the decision. They may have wanted to make arrangements for potentially a final home game on Saturday with family, friends etc. I am sure the planned strategy wasn't just a tweet and a few paragraphs online.

Spud, Drew and Dal, absolutely correct calls. All out of contract, all on a decline, all just keeping players out. No issue with any of these guys leaving. The first two deserve to be celebrated as absolute stalwarts, while the latter was a key part of two prelim runs.

Boomer? I just don't get it. For everything about his age, or a player he is supposedly keeping out, there's also the argument that he brings experience, sets training standards, acts as a mentor etc. He's still comfortably in our top handful of players and still brings a lot of value on match day. Garner, Turner, Anderson and Wagner have all had chances to establish themselves as best 18 players at one point or another, and haven't done so for various reasons. It's a cop out excuse, PR if you will. He is one spot on the list, still comfortably best 18 and if a younger guy can't force a 38-year-old out of the side then who is that really on?

I know it's always team first, club first etc, and tough decisions have to be made, but I can't help but feel Boomer is a unique case and he has earned the right to call his own stumps. He's left money on the table elsewhere, stuck with the club through some pretty dark and tough days, and has instilled hope in a supporter base for 20 years. Is it really that inappropriate that he be allowed to time his own exit from the game?

If he was limping around on one leg and clearly done like Drew then maybe I wouldn't hold the above opinion. But he's not, he is still performing to a very high level. If he wants to risk falling away and risking his legacy by bombing in 2017 then so be it, but I think he has earned the right to do that and it's not going to make or break the club, or be the difference between a flag or not. It's just an extra 12 months where an absolute icon got to leave on his own terms.

Don't try and sell me the spin JB.

'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining' has never been more apt.

I find the pot shots at JB amazing.

I am extremely disappointed in the fashion that Boomer is finishing up. But I don't have a problem with JB being forthright on where the club is. We rolled the dice on some vets in the hope it would bridge the gap from our drafted list to a flag. We have come up short and have to go back to the drawing board. It is the reality North finds itself in.

His reign certainly has not been perfect, but in years time we will look back at where he picked things up to where he has left them and see that we are in a lot better place.
Spot on,the age of our list said it was our time to have a big dip at it but the problem was we just were coming from a bit further back than we would of liked,I'm happy we didn't just sit back and hope we'd bridge the gap but instead we got a few veterans in and had a crack at it.unfornunately we came up short but I'm rapt we had a go.

Scott: "I love these guys... yadda yadda something about if they played next year.... If they're there I'll play them."

Scotts admitting that he has been unable to make the tough calls at the selection table. This guys is ******* moron.

I'm not a Scott apologist - I would not care if he is dumped.

But your analysis of that statement is way off the mark. He is referring to best interests in the short term versus long term.

Cut the crap.

That they need to be told this in such a way is an indictment on them and the coaching staff tbh.

I admit that I love Boomer and Co I will also say I don't give a **** about AA selections and world record games played, just don't interest me. I incase anyone hadn't noticed have been pissed as our season lurched from bad to worse. This is the first time I can see light at the end of the tunnel. And to answer your question....maybe , just maybe we're getting some campaigner back. Won't win without it.

Not trying to be callous, but does this impact their selection chances in the finals? You could argue if Waite comes up it may lead to Drew being dropped. Likewise for Thompson and Spud (Or would EVW play). Dal for Clarke etc.
& dont forget the young bloke who Harvey is keeping out, so I guess Harvey doesnt get a game or the rest of the year. Good for the young bloke i guess. Anyone know who this young bloke is? Would love Harvey to pull the pin now & make him self unavailable.!

I admit that I love Boomer and Co I will also say I don't give a **** about AA selections and world record games played, just don't interest me. I incase anyone hadn't noticed have been pissed as our season lurched from bad to worse. This is the first time I can see light at the end of the tunnel. And to answer your question....maybe , just maybe we're getting some campaigner back. Won't win without it.

So are you still barracking for a loss this weekend?

On the contrary, it means they won't be dropped this year no matter how bad they play

What do you do to win your 5th flag. Well for a start you dont dump one of your 4 best players, thats for sure. Especially when he is getting games off his own boot & theres no-one to replace him. ffs

Kind of agree but I also thought Pavlich should have retired a couple of years ago....9-0 last year and the purple haze have hardly won a game since.

Wells and Waite probably gone in a year and then Swallow and Scooter.

We have elected to start the reload a year early rather than a year after falling off a cliff.

memberships numbers will drop next year, i hope the club have a plan to get supporters excited for next season.
Membership numbers will drop off regardless as people don't think we are a flag chance. These people are called bandwagon supporters. Every club has them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back