Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

So are you still barracking for a loss this weekend?

I was barracking for Scott to be sacked. As it stands he's made the decisions that I thought he wasn't capable of. Shit he picked these guys when out of form so am pleasantly suprised we did the right thing and finished them. No side clinging to eighth can afford nine over thirty year olds. Boomer was still playing well, but shit if the others are shocked, well I'm shocked at their shocketnest.

But yeah you just look at a post in isolation- you a journo? :p

If we were Sydney the commentary would deduce "the fact nobody in the press knew is reflective of how professional this club is", ala them pulling the rug from beneath GWS' and the AFL's feet with the Buddy coup.

I couldnt care less about the other 3 but Boomer deserved another year.

Both Drew and Firrito have been treading water for 2 years. Dal Santos lack of speed and pressuring the ball carrier has killed us this year.

Does anyone think that there may have been some negotiations in regards to Harvey's contract but the gap was much too large to be bridged?

Maybe Brent just wanted a lot more than for the club deemed to be fair and an amount that would take away from attracting others to the club.

I very much doubt it. He'd have played for $100k if it was his only option.

Does anyone think that there may have been some negotiations in regards to Harvey's contract but the gap was much too large to be bridged?

Maybe Brent just wanted a lot more than for the club deemed to be fair and an amount that would take away from attracting others to the club.
nah dont think so, Boomer would have played for nix I reckon. Its his life.

I very much doubt it. He'd have played for $100k if it was his only option.
nah dont think so, Boomer would have played for nix I reckon. Its his life.

Really? You know him better than I do, but regardless of what he's said in the media, he's always come across as a me..me..me.. person.

He was genuinely a terrific footballer but I always viewed him as a somewhat disingenuous man.......and why is his father buying into this now?

Have had some time to digest all of this. Not going to pot the club for how it came out because for all we know they may have had to make plans at short notice, particularly if the players involved didn't agree with the decision. They may have wanted to make arrangements for potentially a final home game on Saturday with family, friends etc. I am sure the planned strategy wasn't just a tweet and a few paragraphs online.

Spud, Drew and Dal, absolutely correct calls. All out of contract, all on a decline, all just keeping players out. No issue with any of these guys leaving. The first two deserve to be celebrated as absolute stalwarts, while the latter was a key part of two prelim runs.

Boomer? I just don't get it. For everything about his age, or a player he is supposedly keeping out, there's also the argument that he brings experience, sets training standards, acts as a mentor etc. He's still comfortably in our top handful of players and still brings a lot of value on match day. Garner, Turner, Anderson and Wagner have all had chances to establish themselves as best 18 players at one point or another, and haven't done so for various reasons. It's a cop out excuse, PR if you will. He is one spot on the list, still comfortably best 18 and if a younger guy can't force a 38-year-old out of the side then who is that really on?

I know it's always team first, club first etc, and tough decisions have to be made, but I can't help but feel Boomer is a unique case and he has earned the right to call his own stumps. He's left money on the table elsewhere, stuck with the club through some pretty dark and tough days, and has instilled hope in a supporter base for 20 years. Is it really that inappropriate that he be allowed to time his own exit from the game?

If he was limping around on one leg and clearly done like Drew then maybe I wouldn't hold the above opinion. But he's not, he is still performing to a very high level. If he wants to risk falling away and risking his legacy by bombing in 2017 then so be it, but I think he has earned the right to do that and it's not going to make or break the club, or be the difference between a flag or not. It's just an extra 12 months where an absolute icon got to leave on his own terms.

Don't try and sell me the spin JB.
Agree 100%. I'm not sure why age comes into this either. Who cares if he's 29 or 39, you're only ever one serious injury away from retirement. Boomer is a freak, far more durable than Waite and Wells, who it would seem are likely to be kept on. Who's to say he couldn't play more than another year at a high level? Sure, he might not be around for our next flag, but to be honest, it's likely most of this current list never will be.
Boomer is a legend of this club. They can spin as much crap as they like about footy clubs being bigger than individuals, but this was a rubbish decision. The timing is also odd - if the club is bigger than the individual, why do they care that four of these individuals wanted to be informed before the season was through? We've basically waved the white flag for the year, which is pathetic.

Really? You know him better than I do, but regardless of what he's said in the media, he's always come across as a me..me..me.. person.

He was genuinely a terrific footballer but I always viewed him as a somewhat disingenuous man.......and why is his father buying into this now?

When he gets offers and rejects him to stay as a one club player - what will your opinion of him be then?

Just heard the news recently on TV and social media and feel a bit shocked but understand the reasons behind it.

Just want to say it has been an absolute pleasure to watch NDS, Dish, Spud and Boomer in the Blue & White.

Firstly, Boomer. What a legend. Quick, old and still kicking goals like he was in his earlier years. A Shinboner like no other. There will never be a player like him and we will all remember the running bounces, crumb goals and dummy set shots that got us all on our feet! Thanks. There are no words to describe how much you have been loyal to this club.

Dish... a warrior. Will always be remembered for his frank the tank and dominance in the F50 and backline when things got ugly. A Shinboner that carried the forward line in 2011 and almost won the Coleman in 2012. Drew, you have been a delight to watch and thanks for turning back time in Boomer's record breaking game. I will say again you were an absolute gem to watch. Thanks.

Spud... a SuperCoach legend. I hated ya in 2013 and couldn't let go of the brain fades that unfortunately occurred at the wrong time. But he came back and showed who he really was, legend. I will never forget his loyalty, his bull-like plays to rebound off a turnover and the atmosphere he brought to the club. A Shinboner that looked after his mates when opposition got into a bit of a scuffle. Shinboner through and through.

Nicky Dal... gun. Loves perfume but isn't afraid to get physical when the going gets tough. Sometimes inconsistent but love him for what he brought to the club. Gave us the class we needed to go deep into September and provided the best ball use out of our D50. You are a Shinboner in my eyes and have brought so much to the club. Thanks.

It would be perfect to make a GF but that would require some incredible luck and a really massive effort from the boys. Hopefully the club will farewell these remarkable players in the best fashion possible and people go to see them for the last time.

For those who believe that the club has made the wrong decision with Boomer, this is a management decision and this is for the long-term.

We...

Need..

To move on.

Thanks again Shinboners. Farewell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Earliest real memory of going to/watching games was 1996. He's been a massive part in my 20 years following this great club, he is second to only Carey in regards to people I think of when I think about North Melbourne.

I 100% think the club has got the Boomer decision wrong, i'll be furious with the club for a while but we have to move on.

This news has shocked me, I was an absolute mess at work today.

To all 4, I can't thank you enough for your service to this footy club.

p.s Drew I will never ever forget your frank the tank celebration after burying the *essendon football club in an elimination final.

No way Harvey should be shunted off. Compare his output to Higgins, Waite and Wells for a start leaves them for dead. I can accept the other 3 but the Harvey decision defies comprehension. Give him one year, no guarantees of a game if his form falls off and the decision is his to make.

14054400_10154017203701843_8846809765949031899_o.jpg

Someone trying to be funny?

Hes had over 1100 Tackles.

I would have though 1/2 a tackle would have been appropriate for Dal

No way Harvey should be shunted off. Compare his output to Higgins, Waite and Wells for a start leaves them for dead. I can accept the other 3 but the Harvey decision defies comprehension. Give him one year, no guarantees of a game if his form falls off and the decision is his to make.
If & its a big if the club is serious about this then surely Wells & Waite have to be shown the door as well. They are well behind Harvey in terms of runs on the board and form. Otherwise the club has no cred.

Yep, drop JMac when is career best form.

#Logic
Just saying in general. Jmacs form the past month has been the best in the team no doubt. But it is the inability of Brad Scott to drop senior players this year that has cost us badly. What makes it worse is that he's done a complete 360 since last year.

As others have said we played Nahas and Ray in preference to youth and they stunk badly, yet they trot out the old well we need to play younger guys.
Brad is a fraud and this just supposedly covers his arse in respect to the injuries we had and not having the depth exposed to afl football.

I have a hard time believing the stated reason of giving young guys chances when I see Ray, Nahas, Gibson, Hanson getting games.

We haven't finished swinging the axe yet mate. Hardly going to mention Nahas, Ray and co in the same breath as the fab four. Reckon we'll move on about 8-9 players this year.

I won't be suprised if Mullet and McKenzie are part of the clean out.

Was surprised all 4 at once will go and not be given contracts.
Think the right decision has been made.
Must say. Will be a emotional seeing Boomer. Petrie and Spud play their last game. Given so much to the club,
And to myself so much enjoyment to watch. Thanks champs :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Farewell our Champs - Boomer, Drew, Spud & NDS all gone at season's end

Remove this Banner Ad

Back