Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Harry Cameron from the Swans academy available as a father son pick this year? I assume he is Leon's son.

Yes but I thought he wasn't going to be a dogs F/S. VitalDread can you confirm?
Part of the Swans Academy this year
He hasn't been involved in dogs program for a while now I believe

Clubs have until Oct to nominate for Father/Son from memory

Should know post AFL finals of his decision to nominate Swans or Us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the Swans Academy this year
He hasn't been involved in dogs program for a while now I believe

Clubs have until Oct to nominate for Father/Son from memory

Should know post AFL finals of his decision to nominate Swans or Us
Any update on this? Any FS Dogs players likely in this upcoming draft?
What about next years crop? Thanks

Any update on this? Any FS Dogs players likely in this upcoming draft?
What about next years crop? Thanks
Harry Cameron in and out of the Swans Academy team in their games against other Academy/NAB League teams.

Like so many of these players he's talented enough to be part of these pathways but not talented enough to be draft relevant, given that in an average year what 2 players out of the 18 that the Swans Academy team out on the park is good enough to make it onto an AFL list?

Cooney's kid is the one that has a bit of talent by all accounts but output can vary so much.

Similar with Lukas Eagleton who got picked for two games in the U18 SANFL teams this year but got 3 and 4 touches and. even as a bottom ager, would have had to show more to be draft relevant.

Making it to the level of U18 SANFL as a bottom ager puts him in the top percent or whatever of talent and otuput of all kids running around playing footy in Adelaide at any level, it's just almost certainly not quite good enough to be AFL draft relevant.

Similar with Lukas Eagleton who got picked for two games in the U18 SANFL teams this year but got 3 and 4 touches and. even as a bottom ager, would have had to show more to be draft relevant.

Making it to the level of U18 SANFL as a bottom ager puts him in the top percent or whatever of talent and otuput of all kids running around playing footy in Adelaide at any level, it's just almost certainly not quite good enough to be AFL draft relevant.
It's also dangerous to judge them as underagers both positive or negative.
Lemme was going to be pick one according to most and ends up barely getting drafted and progressing very slowly at VFL level, whilst guys like Darcy who were unlikely to gain much attention and go 4th round end up shooting into the first few picks.
Everyone develops at a different rate and some simply peak early, dominating juniors before stalling post draft (Schache).

It's also dangerous to judge them as underagers both positive or negative.
Lemme was going to be pick one according to most and ends up barely getting drafted and progressing very slowly at VFL level, whilst guys like Darcy who were unlikely to gain much attention and go 4th round end up shooting into the first few picks.
Everyone develops at a different rate and some simply peak early, dominating juniors before stalling post draft (Schache).
Agree a lot with you, but there's still not no information.

For every Darcy that comes out of nowhere there's 20 other players who are at that level ... and stay at that level for the following season.

Lukas Eagleton is probably the 75th best or so 16 year old in South Australia ... which is no shame, he clearly has talent and he could easily rise to be the 20th best or so ... and that still wouldn't be draft relevant as there's not 20 kids being drafted out of South Australia each year.

Welsh's kid although not qualified for us due to Scott not playing enough dogs games is a good example. Was being talked about as a top 5 pick last year. Brute of a kid who just did what he wanted at that level. Now in a strong draft year and as the othr kids catch up in strength, he's drifted to being maybe a second rounder at best. So much can change in 12 months for junior footballers

Ok no father sons for us this year. Understood and I will not raise the topic again until 2025.
On to unrelated but more important matters. I see the St Kilda President has called out the inequities of the current father son and academy bidding systems and the threat to the integrity of the game that results. With the very future of the game at stake it is incumbent, no I will go further, it behoves all of us, yes behoves, to act and act decisively. I call for the cessation of all father son and academy matching bids during the 2024 draft period. Let’s have a pure draft.
The current system can be reintroduced next year while the impact of the trial this year in saving the integrity of the game is assessed and reported on. Football will be the real winner.

With Father-Sons now being able to lodge straight to Cat-B if not bidded

I'm all for bringing in father sons and let them develop in VFL for a number of years

Dear this year is the prime example for why we should IMO
Esp with KPP
Sometime it takes a bit of time for them to click or they get caught in stacked under 18s team

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Father Son Selections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back