Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thread reminds me of the late, great, Dennis Hopper!

"Heineken? **** that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!".

We may not all agree on that one, but many would agree to not liking a warm beer.

What's with the recent increase in cider drinking around? Disgusting.

1.Find mirror.
2.Have long hard look.
3.Throw self, roughly to floor.:D

James Squire anyone? Bit pricey but a solid drop!

Also nothing beats Carlton Draught off the tap at a pub!

Don't mind Little Creatures Rogers' Ale recently.

Squires are good, prefer the Amber over the Golden.

Coopers Vintage is another good one. I have a bottle sitting in the cupboard for this upcoming winter.

While I was o/s in the UK, made a few trips to Belgium and have been trying to match that experience ever since. Made it to the Westvleteren monastery and got to have one of their 12's with a typical Belgian ham and cheese platter.

And got myself (against steep odds) a bottle of their 12 which was meant to be saved for the next Pies premiership, but when last October came around, I figured I could wait another half year until the first handypoint junior came along. So that should be knocked back in celebration in the next week or two. :thumbsu: :D

Rochefort 8's and 10's are great occasionals.

Absolutely loved the local cask ales I found in numerous trips across the UK. Particularly down in the SouthWest, Cornwall etc.

Anyone tried their hand with the homebrewing caper? I might finally get that underway this year.

Have you seen the episode of Kath'n'Kim where Bretty starts drinking his own homebrew? Good sample of why I'm not going to even try :D

There's so many awesome microbrewers now it's an artform in itself just tracking them and rating them. It's just so fun to discover new ones each week.

Japanese Beer is high on the radar right now - I'll dig up some links, they are just sensational.

Anyone tried their hand with the homebrewing caper? I might finally get that underway this year.

Have you seen the episode of Kath'n'Kim where Bretty starts drinking his own homebrew? Good sample of why I'm not going to even try :D

There's so many awesome microbrewers now it's an artform in itself just tracking them and rating them. It's just so fun to discover new ones each week.

Japanese Beer is high on the radar right now - I'll dig up some links, they are just sensational.

I may have mentioned this already but for you guys I highly suggest the brew on premise type business. Pretty much risk free home brewing, they have all the stuff, the recipe and all clearly labeled, they help you, you leave it there, they ferment it, you come back in a few weeks and bottle and it's that simple.

It's a really good fun day, when your bottling if there are good people bottling on the same day you will share and get loaded off the overflow jug.

30 bucks a slab (although it's a 6 slab minimum so if you don't have a huge fridge maybe get 3 people to do the brew) well worth it.

I make my own beer, well when I have the effort. If you buy yourself a proper kit including a heater and keep your equipment & bottles clean then it's really good. You can make some really good brews too. Should only cost you around $100-$150 for your initial set up and then $15/brew which is about 50 stubbies. I made a beer that was around 10% too, it was good stuff! You just need to have the time to bottle and cap it all as that takes around 1-2 hours if you do it by yourself.

If you buy a capper don't get the cheap one you need to hit with a hammer, you're much better off buying the adjustable one with a lever.

Like Shawthing says though, you can do it all at a brewery and they make sure it turns out, might be worth doing one of those if you've never made your own before. It's pretty simple though.

I make my own beer, well when I have the effort. If you buy yourself a proper kit including a heater and keep your equipment & bottles clean then it's really good. You can make some really good brews too. Should only cost you around $100-$150 for your initial set up and then $15/brew which is about 50 stubbies. I made a beer that was around 10% too, it was good stuff! You just need to have the time to bottle and cap it all as that takes around 1-2 hours if you do it by yourself

It sounds awesome. I'm reading this 3 days into my self-imposed 'No alcohol' diet and whimpering quietly in front of the laptop. How the hell do you get any work done with 10% Alc/vol beers?!? :)

You should create a special brew called the 'The Shocker' at 15% and crack them open on Grand Final day :thumbsu:

It sounds awesome. I'm reading this 3 days into my self-imposed 'No alcohol' diet and whimpering quietly in front of the laptop. How the hell do you get any work done with 10% Alc/vol beers?!? :)

You should create a special brew called the 'The Shocker' at 15% and crack them open on Grand Final day :thumbsu:

And you have to open them with three fingers :eek:

The wife , for Xmas, bought me a brewing day experience at a microbrewery in Sydney. I think it allows for 30 litres. Will hopefully get around to using that sometime soon. You're right, it might be the way to go at first, but I'd love to tinker around with the equipment at home eventually.

Can't say I ever drank it while having to work, or drive anywhere for that matter haha! As for your no alcohol diet, I thought I'd try that out for 2 weeks, I noticed no difference at all, so I got back on it!

And you have to open them with three fingers :eek:

The wife , for Xmas, bought me a brewing day experience at a microbrewery in Sydney. I think it allows for 30 litres. Will hopefully get around to using that sometime soon. You're right, it might be the way to go at first, but I'd love to tinker around with the equipment at home eventually.
You can do some interesting brews by adding in extra ingredients/essences/malts etc. Using honey instead of sugar, adding coffee essences, all that sort of thing.

Another thing I'd recommend if you brew your own beer is to buy brewing sugar at the least, but malt is good as well. Also don't fall for the idea of adding extra sugar in, all you'll get is your bottles exploding!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a Mercury Cider the other week. How can you drink Ciders? They taste like chicks drinks to me. Just too bloody sweet.

Enjoying a few Boags Draughts (Can't go wrong at $37 a slab) tonight on our warmest August night in 140 odd years. Beautiful night.

First time I ever drank, it was Mercury Cider.

Never touched a single drop since.

Suggest stay well away Quicky, makes me almost heave typin

g this. Oh god :(

No it's OK Burt..all Ok. That's for checking.

Not a bad bloke Burt, lives next door.

How old were you guys when you started to enjoy the taste of beer?

I'm 17 and hate the taste, one bottle is my maximum until the taste gets the better of me haha.

one of the things I enjoy about the summer weather is cracking an ice cold frothie.

not much better than having some stubbies chilling in the esky for most of the day then sipping on an ice cold one on a warm afternoon in the sun.

will definitaly be trying a variety of beers and ciders over this period.

good thread to get ideas from:thumbsu:

Being in Tassie, the range isn't great. I've grown up on Cascade and enjoy it, but I'm wanting to branch out a bit.

http://danmurphys.com.au/dm/home.jsp

I've been scouting around on there for a good carton or two of beer/cider to try. Any recommendations?

Are you planning on getting it shipped? Because the stock at individual Dan's will vary significantly from what's on the site I think.

Yep, this.

If so, then go here instead. Much, much bigger range, and $15 shipping. I'd suggest picking 12+ different beers, it's great fun. Also get 10% discount off the individual price of the 12+.

The staff picks there are pretty good, but I'd be happy to throw my 2c in too.

Alternatively, if what you're after is a cheap carton for footy watching or whatever that doesn't taste like piss, you can't go past Coopers Pale Ale, which will probably be cheaper at Dans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back