Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

I found an absolutely brilliant beer last night called Pheonix Beer. It's a Mauritian beer and although I only had the benefit of drinking one stubby it is definitely a top three of any beer i've tried. I found it at the Pheonix Bar on Flinders St (the name is a coincidence) if anyone is keen. They're having a night to promote it this tuesday according to the bar tender. Apparently it's not available at bottle shops and just bars that have good international beer collections. They cost $7.50 a stubby but well worth it for a couple if you want to try something different. Must confess a bit of bias as my missus is Mauritian and I almost fell over when I realised this random bar I walked into after the Pearl Jam concert sold them. But in saying that I had also been told they tasted like Melbourne Bitter (which couldn't be further from the truth) so had zero expectations when I tried it. A really really smooth beer with a really nice bitterness but absolutely no bad aftertaste. Just brilliant - and apparently won quite a few international beer gold medals. I'm getting excited as i'm going to Mauritius in a few weeks and they're cheap as over there - they work out at $192.50 a slab here unfortunately ($7.50x24 :eek:) but worth it for a stubby or two. If you ever see it around I highly recommend you give it a go.

Sounds intriguing, Quicky.

I found this: http://allstatesliquor.com.au/, and I'm assuming if they're wholesaling it it'll start showing up around the better cellars in Melbourne. Will let you know if I come across it.

Cheers for that MDC would be much appreciated. Interesting allstateliquor say they are the sole distributor of Pheonix in Australia as the bar tender said their distributor was paramount liquor. He may have been wrong. Would love to find it at a decent price. Am already planning on bringing back a few long necks from Mauritius.

[YOUTUBE]zw2EvrGgmp8[/YOUTUBE]

This would have to be a good beer coz?????

I just figured this was released a month ago so you have already seen it.
Here in WA we are on a slight delay.......

Wow I have never heard someone rate Phoenix so highly (my dad is Mauritian.)

It is certainly a drinkable beer but I don't personally find it all that memorable.

I did only have the opportunity to have one so havn't really had a night out on it. There were alot of things going in its favour that night - a sh!t hot concert and having a great time; i'd already had a few and was sitting with that nice hazy feeling you get afterwards; my absolute shock at finding it in this random bar i'd walked in - I was so bloody stoked; and my zero expectations for it after having numorous people talk it down. But honestly it just went down really really good. I think the gold medals it has won at beer comps says it is at least a pretty good quality beer. Looking forward to drinking it again in a few days when i'll be over there. Will gladly report back on its worthiness after some thorough research :D

I am almost opposite where in my first experince of it was barely cold and out of a can, it is safe to say any beer is going to be poor under said circumstances and it was pretty horrible.

I have had it a fair bit since and personally find whilst reasonably smooth it lacks a bit of flavour.

As has been mentioned earlier though situations can make and break a beer.

1. Carlton Draught
2. Millers Chill
3. Corona
4. Pure Blonde
5. Barefoot Radler

No offense mate, but that is a terrible list.

How about trying something with some flavour? Or at least without that god awful citrus twang that Millers and the Radler have.... drinkable only in case of 40+ degree days, and only then if there's nothing else available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

14nl4bm.jpg

One would be more then enough for me.......

Was buying beer for NYE for me and my mate at Dan murpheys, and had a pretty good time looking at all the different beers available; there is such a large selection!

I decided to try out Kirin and then go with an old favourite (Budweiser). Needless to say, both went down successfully. :thumbsu:

I am very partial to a sweet cider, however choices in WA are very poor and Strongbow is all we get LOL.

Yeah, cider on a hot day is excellent. Bulmers is good but a bit too sweet for mine, Pipsqueak's more to my liking.
Yeah I like the sweet-er ciders. But not too sweet.
I brewed my own for a while, but the bottle washing was enough to put me off. Maybe if I lose my job I'll start brewing again :p

I am very partial to a sweet cider, however choices in WA are very poor and Strongbow is all we get LOL.
That's awful. Strongbow :thumbsdown:

No beer for me.....cider all the way mmmmm
Mercury top the lot easily, but I've been drinking a bit of Bulmers lately as well.
I've finally found a reason for Tasmania's existance!

You need to get to St Kilda Cellars on Ackland st and grab the Kopparberg pear cider. Munks all over Bulmers.

You need to get to St Kilda Cellars on Ackland st and grab the Kopparberg pear cider. Munks all over Bulmers.
:eek: I've got a friend in Ireland who reckons Bulmers comes in either peach or pear flavour as well, can't remember which. Sounds delish.
I wonder if I can swing past St.Kilda on my way home :D
Google tells me there is a "St Kilda Cellars" at 45 Fitzroy st, or "Acland Cellars" at 187 Acland st. Is it either of those?

Has anyone tried the Toohey's 5 Seeds cider??
if you havent, go down to the local bottleshopp and grab a 6-pack.

they are he shizz :)
I don't drink fermented beverages from clear bottles. They were all originally in dark glass for a reason.

Has anyone tried the Toohey's 5 Seeds cider??
if you havent, go down to the local bottleshopp and grab a 6-pack.

they are he shizz :)

One of my mates gave me one of those after I had had 8 beers on NYE, and it tasted like I threw up in my mouth. Way too sour, the flavours just don't mix well at all IMO. :thumbsdown:

Remove this Banner Ad

Favorite Beers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back