Favourite Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big fan of anything from Beechworth Brewery.

Beezneez is also pretty good.

Tried a lot of stuff when i was over in europe.

Tried some beer called La Blanche, absolute gem.

Crown larger is the most overrated beer in history.

Ive been drinking pure blondes lately. I smashed the best part of a carton a few weeks back which i wouldnt be able to do with most other beers. Im not a big beer drinker though.

Ive been drinking pure blondes lately. I smashed the best part of a carton a few weeks back which i wouldnt be able to do with most other beers. Im not a big beer drinker though.

Crownies are indeed extremely overrated and sorry to say, Pure Blondes are too :p

I grow tired of bland, inoffensive beers. At least some have structure but geez, for a few dollars more you could get a carton of Coopers instead

Pure Blondes aren't even beer.:p
No disrespect to all the ladies but these types of beers take away essential ingredients of beer so to me it's not really a beer.
I understand that many people have health issues and are told to try these types of beers and i'm fine with that but you certainly wouldn't drink it if you had a choice.
It's like having a light when you have to drive. No problem with that but you wouldn't choose to have it otherwise is the point.

So what's a good beer.
Beez Neez is a fantastic beer. It's made of wheat and honey. You can smell the honey before you drink.
Ahhh it's lovely but not something you would stick to all night. Gets to sweet so you move on to actual beers.

I lived in SA for a few years and Coopers Pale Ale was magnificent. Can drink it all night no problem. Only dramas here is if you are like me and enjoy a beer been poured into a chilled pint then it is a battle trying to hold it's head. Just goes flat way to quick especially if you are eating.

Killkenny Draught is my favourite beer in the world. Outstanding beer.
It's an Irish beer so many will turn their nose up as is very creamy and doesn't bubble like Aussie beers.
I could drink this all night and if on tap even better.

I once had an Irish beer called a Beamish Red and it was moreish but I have never seen it again since.
I was given a carton as a xmass gift.

Lowenbreau is another nice beer. It's a fresh type of beer that is easy to drink if not a little dull after a while but it certainly is a nice change from time to time. Similar to a Becks i guess. Something you may have at a dinner table perhaps.

Crown.
Crown seems to be the beer that many people like to call overrated or even terrible.:eek:
I will assume that this is because of the normal asking price associated with it. However almost every month there is a sale on somewhere on Crown and you can pick it up for a couple of dollars more then a slab of Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter, etc...
Forget the premium tag and just sit back and enjoy this magnificent beer.
Yes it tastes a bit like Carlton Draught (real beer). Yes it tastes a bit like Melbourne bitter (real beer) Yes it taste similar to a few other CUB beers but this one is the ultimate.
Probably the one beer that defines beer in Australia yet no one wants to admit it.
The name has a stigma but if you can see past that it really is a great beer.

Oh BTW i have a slab of Boags St. George in my pantry that has been there for almost a year now. I have tried many times to offload it but thus far I haven't found a single person who could even finish one glass of the stuff.:D

=
Crown.
Crown seems to be the beer that many people like to call overrated or even terrible.:eek:
I will assume that this is because of the normal asking price associated with it. However almost every month there is a sale on somewhere on Crown and you can pick it up for a couple of dollars more then a slab of Carlton Draught, Melbourne Bitter, etc...
Yes it tastes a bit like Carlton Draught (real beer). Yes it tastes a bit like Melbourne bitter (real beer) Yes it taste similar to a few other CUB beers but this one is the ultimate.
Probably the one beer that defines beer in Australia yet no one wants to admit it.

There isnt much difference between the recepies for Carlton Draught/VB and Crown... The biggest difference is in the ingredients.

They're all the same, except for two little variants.

Foster's(as it is these days, and not CUB) grade their ingredients and Crown receives the higher graded hops, malt and yeast in comparison to VB/Draught.

Those who believe that Crown is merely 'scraped' from the top of the ferementation tanks and the rest is relegated to the CD/VB label are speaking rubbish. Each brew is planned well ahead, and destined for a particular label.

How do I know this??? I spent over a year walking people through the second largest brewery in Australia(and one of the most technologically advanced breweries in the world) and explaining the methods used to brew over a dozen different labels from the one plant.

Oh BTW i have a slab of Boags St. George in my pantry that has been there for almost a year now. I have tried many times to offload it but thus far I haven't found a single person who could even finish one glass of the stuff.:D

Should be a law against calling this shit beer!!!

Funny stuff.

You might have been able to 'smash' a carton of Dumb Blondes because they have a lower alcohol content than the other major Aussie Beers.

The amount of preservatives in this beer wipes many people out.. not in the drunken sense, but in the just generally feeling shit sense.

having said that it amazes me how popular this beer has become with the 18-25 year olds over the last 6 months.

It isnt a case of it being a superior beer to others, and more a case of the blind leading the blind(Marketing rules your mind).

Crown aint the greatest beer in the world, but Pure Blonde is right down the very bottom.

Crap:thumbsdown:

Not really a beer drinker (Pure spirits) but on the special occasion I will crack a bottle of Kimon, Jap beer as well as a number of German beers, as well as Pilsner, fan of Alt...

Not bias against Crownies for the local stuff :D Though I will go imported whenever possible.

Local - Black Wattle Superior

Import - Weihenstephan Hefe Weissbier

Really REALLY good beer. In my top 3 fav Aussie beers at the moment with Temple Special Bitter and Jamiesons Pale Ale.

For Internationals, of late I've been enjoying some Speight's Old Dark Ale (NZ), Anchor Libery Ale (US) and Jever Pilsener (Croatia).

One of the worst beers in my opinion is Becks..just a horrible aftertaste. I don't rate heneiken's either. Had a few Boags St George the other day and thought they were pretty average. I like coopers pale, carlton draught and Ted's, being a student i dont usually have the cash for a really expensive beer, however, i cant stand creatures pale ale, just too rich or something for my liking. Pure blondes go alright

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I forgot to mention the Red Duck beers. They're right up the very top of my list but it's not easy to find as none of the major liquor stores stock it. Just a tip if you ever buy it, don't stick it in the freezer to quickly chill it as the head will shoot up out of the bottle whenever you take a drink.

Crown.
You're kidding right?

It has it's reputation that despite the brilliant marketing, it is a shit beer. It's sickly sweet, cloying and just sits at the back of your mouth...it's an awful drop. I'd drink rubbish like Carlton Cold before Crownies

How do I know this??? I spent over a year walking people through the second largest brewery in Australia(and one of the most technologically advanced breweries in the world) and explaining the methods used to brew over a dozen different labels from the one plant.

Kevin Kavendish is that you?? :D:D:D:D

i know the james squire brewhouse is the old portland hotel but where is the hofbrauhaus???

Hofbräuhaus Melbourne
18-24 Market Lane
Melbourne, 3000
Victoria, Australia

9663 3361

You're kidding right?

It has it's reputation that despite the brilliant marketing, it is a shit beer. It's sickly sweet, cloying and just sits at the back of your mouth...it's an awful drop. I'd drink rubbish like Carlton Cold before Crownies

you're spot on, it is ****ing disgusting. although, i still might take it over a carlton cold!

James Squires Pilsner
Cascade Premium
Zywiec/Okocim

Japanese beers Asahi and Sapporo Draft get mentions as well. Tiger is also good.

Beer i drink most often though is Carlton Draught cos I'm a poor student:p

I love Corona.

To all those knockers I say, F*uck you. I'll drink what I want to drink, cheers."

You go girlfriend!

I'm with you as long as the words shandy or black velvet are never posted on this thread.

:)

Best Australian made beer is Boags Premium.

Good beers from overseas include Chang, Becks (the real stuff), Heineken (the real stuff), Grolsch, Lowenbrau, Pilsner Urquell. Are lots of other good ones but I don't know their names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back