Favourite cricketing moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Basically seeing either someone excel at what they do, or seeing a guy struggle and battle to try and do the job (McDermott batting against the Windies, Binga against the Poms, McGrath's 66).

When McDermott was facing the Windies he spent most of his time backing towards the square leg umpire. I think it was 1991 when he made 18 runs for the entire series. :eek:

Funny, no one said that when Boon or Border or Steve Waugh played like that.

True. There was some great cricket in that last Ashes series, it's just that we were on the wrong end of it. The previous series in England, on the other hand, had very little worth remembering.

[YOUTUBE]k0cBoH_P4c8[/YOUTUBE]

Outrageous innings, even as an Aussie I loved watching this. Gayle was very impressive in this series. He played with restraint in a couple of innings (especially Adelaide) then came to Perth and unleashed. That 6 onto the roof, love the sound as it leaves his bat

Do any new posters have anything to add to this discussion?

I would have loved to have seen Border's gutsy innings' against the Windies.

Personally, my favourites from what I've seen were the 2003 WC Final; 2006/07 Ashes; 2008 Sydney Test; Shane Warne's performances against Pakistan in 2002; and 2004 Indian series.

I think a few members of the West Indies team in that series held the 98 not out in particularly high regard. Even though he followed up with 100 not out in the second innings. For me, too many to think of, but off the top of my head:

- Trevor Chappell's underarm v New Zealand in February 1981. I was only a kid but I vividly recall the sound of the entire crowd booing. Funny how things have changed, they'd probably cheer now. Love to know why Greg Chappell thought that guy would ever hit a six to begin with.

- Kim Hughes' 100 not out against the West Indies on Boxing Day 1981. One of the very greatest innings I've ever seen against a scary Michael Holding. Seriously doubt many current test batsmen would have lasted half an hour on that pitch.

- Curtly Ambrose's spell of 7-1 at the WACA in 1993. Nothing wrong with the pitch either (as evidenced by West Indies making 322 the next day).

- Richie Richardson's 182 against Australia in Guyana in 1991. Not many test innings turn an entire series, this one did.

- Shane Warne's hat-trick in 1994 at the MCG. First time I went in the MCC members. There was only one hour's play so we were incredibly lucky.

- Brian Lara's 153 not out against Australia in Barbados in 1999. Pretty much got them home singlehandedly, and some of the strokeplay was out of this world against McGrath and Warne.

- The last day of the Edgbaston test in 2005. That was as nervous and intense a finish to a test match I can ever remember.

Never saw this but just found it on youtube and found it pretty funny. Gilchrist was just a legend with every thing he did!

[YOUTUBE]DJmZGK2oz-Y[/YOUTUBE]

Used to like watching Australia v New Zealand in those days guys like Parore, Fleming, Astle, Vettori, Bond, Cairns etc. couldn't quite match the Australians for talent, but fought like hell against them and ruffled their feathers.

1989 Ashes series in England. Australia smashed the Poms and my first son was born. I had to sit up until tea every night to do the feeding and the settling while my wife got some sleep. Terrible experience and did I say we smashed the Poms.

1989 Ashes series in England. Australia smashed the Poms and my first son was born. I had to sit up until tea every night to do the feeding and the settling while my wife got some sleep. Terrible experience and did I say we smashed the Poms.

Yep, that was the series that should have woken England up to how poorly they ran the game there and how amateurish and complacent they were with their setup. Took them another 15 years to wake up. :eek:

2004 i think. michael clarkes whole series against india in india. pretty sure he scored a hundred in every match except one and that one game he took 7 fa in an innings. this was his debut series as well

Also Glenn Mcgrath shoving Matthew Hayden when there was an Australia A vs Australia game. Hayden hit him for a boundary, and Mcgrath shoved Hayden in the shoulder after Hayden started talking trash to him

That was a great series. People have forgotten how abjectly awful some of those Australian teams in the mid '80's were. That series was the first time there had been much to celebrate in a long time. Lots of man love for AB in this era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[youtube]QN5sqhzrYm0[/youtube]
This one i either missed or totally forgot about but wow :eek:
Throw back to the old days.

Mohammad Sami... typical Pakistani cricketers career. Debuts young, does well, disappears for a couple of years, gets back into side, dropped soon after, few years later his name is again pulled out at random by their selectors, almost takes hattrick in his first over back, doesn't take another wicket playing in a game where matchfixing has almost certainly occured, form continues to be very poor before he is finally dropped.

Never a dull moment in the revolving door that is the Pakistani cricket team

Actually McGrath was generally ok - Hayden on the other hand was a prize grade knobhead on the field. Couldn't hack it until the serious fast bowlers all retired (and the only world class ones left were on his team)

1. Richie Richardson having to drag Ambrose away from Waugh in 1995 3rd Test. Waugh makes 63* of 128, but Australia loses by 9 wickets
2. Steve Waugh goes one better and scores 200 in 4th Test as Australia record an innings victory and WI's first series defeat in 15 years
3. 1999 World Cup Semi Final - the runout
4. Steve Waugh's 102 vs England SCG
5. Slater scores 152 at Lords in his 2nd Test in 1993

Obviously I'm a huge Waugh fan. Also worth mentioning that Iwas in the crowd for all of the above events, ironically, with the exception of the only one that happened here in Australia, Waugh's 100 at the SCG.

2004 i think. michael clarkes whole series against india in india. pretty sure he scored a hundred in every match except one and that one game he took 7 fa in an innings. this was his debut series as well

Talk about exaggeration!

It was a 4 test series and he batted 8 times for 1 century, which was his debut innings.

He had 4 other scores under 20 and took 6-9 on the raging turner in the 4th test when the last 16 wickets fell for 140 after the surface broke up.

He then made 140 in his debut match in Australia at the Gabba against NZ.

There are so many.

As an impressionable 10 year old: Michael Bevan's 4 to win the game against the West Indies in 1996
Nailbiter: Steve Waugh's 4 off the last ball at the SCG 2002/3 Ashes
Glued to the TV: Glenn McGrath's 61 vs. New Zealand
As a spectacle: Australia vs. New Zealand 1997/8, first Adelaide Oval game under lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite cricketing moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Back