Favourite Dictator/ Despot?

Remove this Banner Ad

This guy was a bit of a hard-ass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin_Shi_Huang

Worked,possibly millions,to do death building the great wall and terracotta warriors.

Also:

To ensure stability, Qin Shi Huang outlawed Confucianism and buried alive many scholars.[4] All books other than those officially decreed were banned and burned.

Attila the Hun.

Smashed the Roman empire to pieces with an army of barbarians, took over and claimed a Roman princess as his wife. On the night of his wedding (the day after capturing Eastern Rome) he died of a nosebleed.

ROFL. What a hardass.

I like Hugo Chavez too.

Also a big fan of Ho Chi Minh, but its debatable whether he was a dictator or not.

No time for Hitler, Stalin, Idi Amin or imo the worst of the lot, Pol Pot.

Mussolini was probably the most intelligent and i reckon looked the coolest
mussolini.jpg

Soft, soft, soft!!!

"Let's show them who's boss. Let's invade Ethiopia!"

**** pussy.

And then he was strung up in the main street. What an ending.

You really can't go past Stalin. The sheer size of the place he took over, the absolute control he had over the population. And not content stopping there- he took Eastern Europe too. The USSR was taken from a backward peasant nation to a world superpower, thanks to the 5 year industrial plans, and a riddance of the NEP-men. They put concrete in his grave to make sure he was gone for good, ffs. This man is... the man. On all levels, his control of Russia was absolute, in some ways even years after his own death.

A horrid man.

Attila the Hun.

Smashed the Roman empire to pieces with an army of barbarians, took over and claimed a Roman princess as his wife. On the night of his wedding (the day after capturing Eastern Rome) he died of a nosebleed.

ROFL. What a hardass.

I like Hugo Chavez too.

Also a big fan of Ho Chi Minh, but its debatable whether he was a dictator or not.

No time for Hitler, Stalin, Idi Amin or imo the worst of the lot, Pol Pot.

Chavez is not a dictator or a despot. He's a democrtically elected leader who has the temerity to think he can spend America's Venezuelan oilon wacky stuff like schools and hospitals.

Chavez is not a dictator or a despot. He's a democrtically elected leader who has the temerity to think he can spend America's Venezuelan oilon wacky stuff like schools and hospitals.

Yeah - he's in the same boat as Uncle Ho.

Considered a dictator in some respects (and lets be honest, Chavez does have a shady side politically), but mainly by those who wish to exploit their country.

That's why I rate him. Not as good as Uncle Ho, but close.

Considered a dictator in some respects (and lets be honest, Chavez does have a shady side politically), but mainly by those who wish to exploit their country.

Gordon Brown and Silvio berlusconi have far shadier political sides.

Voted for Adolf but because he actually did some great things for his nation (despite destroying its reputation for the next 300 years). Adolf turned his country into a world power. Mugabe has absolutely destroyed his.

And silence all dissent within his country, Jesus, go back to your John Pilger documentary. Ok so he has done some good things (Evo Morales in Bolivia is also similar to Chavez), but, wait another decade, then you'll see a different Chavez (remember, Mugabe started off fairly similarly to Hugo).

FWIW, I voted for Josef Stalin, because due to the millions of people he starved or worked to death in the Ukraine & Siberia, his brutal crushing of dissent and removal of all enemies both real and imagined, and also for the people he had around him, like Beria who was Cheney to Stalin's Bush.

But, he dragged the Soviet Union from an agrarian country to an industrialized one within 15-20 years, but that success was built on the bodies of the millions he killed in order to get there.

And silence all dissent within his country, Jesus, go back to your John Pilger documentary. Ok so he has done some good things (Evo Morales in Bolivia is also similar to Chavez), but, wait another decade, then you'll see a different Chavez (remember, Mugabe started off fairly similarly to Hugo).

This would the same dissent that tried to overthrow him using armed force - him being the democratically elected leader of his country? That's called treason and would be punished harshly in ANY country.

And FWIW - he doesn't silence all dissent. They have their TV channels, their newspapers.

You neocon imbeciles had your run for 8 years.

Piss off and let grown ups talk now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted for hitler if only for the fact he actually styled himself to take over and worked upon his oratory. He also seized control of a country by utilising the mindset of the people who felt hard done by after the Versailles treaty and then twisting it to meet his own ends.
Stalin was really the quiet achiever. Uncle Joe would have the gong in history over hitler if the vision had gotten out of what he did to his people however seeing as the vision was more readliy obtainable from nazi germany he lost out.
Other honourable mentions of "nutcases" go to: "Emperor" Bokassa who styled his crowning on that of queen elizabeth 2, and also Papa Doc and Baby Doc Duvalier for harnessing their country's belief in voodoo and using that to control the masses.
For modern days: Adminejinehad is about my favourite crackpot at the moment as he seems to be there to stir the pot of world leaders and the quiet achiever for mine over Sarkozy: Putin. Has the potential to pull a stalin that man.

For the modern era - Stalin. Wasn't as fussy as Hitler in regards to who was used as slaves and/or killed, and his kill numbers were much more than Hitler -also over a longer period. And for what?

From history - Genghis Khan.

IFor modern days: Adminejinehad is about my favourite crackpot at the moment as he seems to be there to stir the pot of world leaders and the quiet achiever for mine over Sarkozy: Putin. Has the potential to pull a stalin that man.

Ahmenidijad was elected too.

Good call on Vlad Putin.

A quality despot at the moment is Ramzan Kadyrov in Chechnya.

Like any quality despot, he keeps a private zoo filled with wild beasts to taunt and goad into fighting each other.

This would the same dissent that tried to overthrow him using armed force - him being the democratically elected leader of his country? That's called treason and would be punished harshly in ANY country.

And FWIW - he doesn't silence all dissent. They have their TV channels, their newspapers.

You neocon imbeciles had your run for 8 years.

Piss off and let grown ups talk now.

As I said earlier, Mugabe gives people a good guide to what type of leader Hugo Chavez will become in the next decade (they were both Marxists after all) , basically you're like one of old communists that were once in raptures over Stalin and the USSR, but I doubt you'll feel that way when the truth comes out about your false prophet.

As I said earlier, Mugabe gives people a good guide to what type of leader Hugo Chavez will become in the next decade (they were both Marxists after all) , basically you're like one of old communists that were once in raptures over Stalin and the USSR, but I doubt you'll feel that way when the truth comes out about your false prophet.

You've been saying that for the last decade and it hasn't happened yet.

My own view is Chavez will leave of his own accord sooner rather than later.

You'll find a hell of a lot of southern Vietnamese people who completely disagree with you there.

You've been saying that for the last decade and it hasn't happened yet.

My own view is Chavez will leave of his own accord sooner rather than later.

Then why is he pushing to remove term limits for the office of President ?, I hope you're right and that he does leave a positive legacy for his people and leaves when the time is right, but the third world is rife with leaders who came to power on a platform of being a "champion of the people", only to let that idea get destroyed through despotism.

Anyway, we need to wait, but if history's any guide, I doubt that either Chavez or Morales in the long term will keep the promises that they have made to those who got them into power in the first place.

T
Anyway, we need to wait, but if history's any guide, I doubt that either Chavez or Morales in the long term will keep the promises that they have made to those who got them into power in the first place.

Chavez has already kept many of the promises in supplying education/heaklthcare etc.

I just wondwer with oil prices so low whether he'll stay for the hard yards. reckon he much prefers lording it aound handing out cash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite Dictator/ Despot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back