Fevola's disrespect forced Blues' hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Our young forwards could not have developed with Fevola there - he would not have let them.

No doubt Bradshaw would have been nice but we couldn't get him - but at least now the forward line is open for some real growth and development.

In terms of bridging the gap - our side was very young this year. There will be natural growth from our group and sides above us will have a natural decline as well.

As great as Geelong are you can see the signs of decline. I don't see a lot of development in the Bulldogs either - with or without Barry Hall.

l believe the comments regarding the young forwards could not develop whilst Fev is there is a not logical at all, if we had actually had some in the last two years they would have, we have been playing Cloke,Wiggins, Fisher etc as second options because we have had no-one else, having two two gun forwards like Franklin, Roughead in 08 did not stop Hawthorn, and probably likely to see them bounce back into the top 4 next year.
Henderson may hopefully be a long term key forward which we badly need, but have the feeling this gaping hole in our attack will not be addressed for 12 months, next year we have to make the best of what we have.
l would suggest Geelong,St Kilda,Hawthorn,Western Bulldogs, Adelaide, Collingwood and even Brisbane probably looked better placed for next year than us.

l believe the comments regarding the young forwards could not develop whilst Fev is there is a not logical at all, if we had actually had some in the last two years they would have, we have been playing Cloke,Wiggins, Fisher etc as second options because we have had no-one else, having two two gun forwards like Franklin, Roughead in 08 did not stop Hawthorn, and probably likely to see them bounce back into the top 4 next year.
Henderson may hopefully be a long term key forward which we badly need, but have the feeling this gaping hole in our attack will not be addressed for 12 months, next year we have to make the best of what we have.
l would suggest Geelong,St Kilda,Hawthorn,Western Bulldogs, Adelaide, Collingwood and even Brisbane probably looked better placed for next year than us.

Spot on.

:thumbsu:

This is hilarious.

This article is NOT an official club release.

It speaks of 'conflicting reports' from club insiders.

It says nothing specific about his behaviour whatsoever.

As a rationale for Fev's sacking, it is neither an official statement nor the slightest bit convincing by way of evidence.

It only serves to add fuel to a more disturbing idea, that Ratten and Swann's decision was not shared by many club insiders and is dividing the club.

Those of you with ties to and contacts in the club will know that he was very popular with the other players.

This article wreaks of 'leaked' damage control for yet another blow to our future plans with Bradshaw passing on our offer.

A blow to our future? It will make us stronger, without a selfish prick in the side.

Even if we did have some grandiose plan of teaching the kids to be key forwards,
Fev would have been at the top of that plan.
Unless we draft an experienced Key Forward, we are now back in
the lower eight. I just cant see the players we have now being able to pull it off.
But where theres life there's hope, lets have this argument after the PSD !!

This is hilarious.

This article is NOT an official club release.

I think it was just an article to fill up the space below the Bradshaw story

I'm not sure the plan for the forward line is there.

With Bradshaw as a stop gap for the next 2 years and to mentor Henderson and Krueze, that would've made sense.

Now, I'm not convinced they have anything up their sleeve.

I've seen nothing from Ratt's (though I like him) that suggests that we're about to see a brilliant take on our new forward structure.

I find it disappointing that the next two-three years which takes Judd to 29 years, will be 'structure building' years for our forwards. I think we should've given Judd a chance at a premiership in that time.

I know I should be optimistic about the spreading of opportunities amongst the other forwards, but a straightforward analysis suggests that we're not going to get back 80+ goals in a hurry, especially given we don't have Fev to take the best defenders away from the other forwards.

I'd love to hear a cohesive argument that sounds like a viable plan (other than trust in the club), but with what I see in front of me, there is nothing other than optimism to think that we can kick enough goals in the next 2 years to be there-abouts.

Really is time for a name change mate so that you can barrack for Carlton :rolleyes:

I thought Voss got rid of Brittain.

He did

Without Fev, we will probably be weaker for 1-2 years, especially early on with other forwards finding their feet. But this is far from a certainty. It's about goals kicked relative to opportunity. Fev got a huge amount of our forward 50 entry, and did well with it. Not just that, he was also given a lot of forward 50 space to kick those goals. Who knows what other young forwards will do when given that extra opportunity. That is the unknown here. The good news is with Kruezer and Hendo we have some serious emerging talent to take on that role. Setanta was also doing very well at CHF up until he got injured from Fev's knees. Plus our midfield will be even stronger in 2010 which should help the forwards out. :)

Some posters seem to think that we'll go down because you lose Fev and you can't replace him.

True you can't replace Fev, but remember the old adage, a champion team will always beat a team of champions?

Winning games is all about team structures and how each player sticks to that structure. We're going to have to change our structure

If we play the same structure that we had with Fev without Fev being there, we're f*cked, because no one we have is up to it

But the fact is very few clubs play that one dimensional forward line, look at Geelong, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs (big time) and St Kilda (to a lessor degree). These are the top clubs and they all have multi-dimensional forward lines and mid-fielders who kick goals - this is a structure that we really haven't tried yet., and we probably have the personal to do it.

With McLean in, Judd will have more run, Murphy can kick goals, Gibbs is still 20 and can probably do anything, Simpson runs forward, Carlos can certainly create a contest as can Kruz, and Walks can play forward. Waite has played forward in the past and done it well. Then there's Betts & the Yaz.

Too early to say they're we're stuffed without Fev, what's more if you think that a team needs a brilliant forward to win games then you're completely wrong, sure it helps, but if the top 4 are any yard stick you can still go a long way without a brilliant forward, if you play to your structures

Fev going doesn't mean we lose 80 goals or whatever it was that he used to kick.

Basically, we're going into a period of uncertainty. We could either function better without Fev or worse. We don't know because our forward structure has been reliant on him for the best part of a decade.

We've sampled different options, but never fully investigated it. IMHO part of it is the coach's fault (more so Pagan than Ratts, who has tried some options) and the mid-fielders who were on auto-pilot when moving forward.

Why we may be worse without Fev:

• Other current tall options don't appear up to it, be it Cloke or Fisher. Carlos has showed signs, but more so as a 2nd string tall playing half forward
  • Henderson is just a kid still developing
  • Kruzer & Hammo have never been used as permanent forwards. IMHO, Kruz is not a leading forward, he's more a player who "floats in" and can take a pack mark. As for Hammo, yes he's tall and very quick, but IMHO he's still got a lot to learn in reading the game (fundamental for a forward) and his kicking and marking, although improving, is erratic. Basically I think he'll be a good - very good ruckman but not a forward. Happy to be proved wrong

Why we may be better without Fev

• Because we kicked to Fev so much, we were very predictable and the opposition could set up a forward attack from our forward line. With a multi-dimensional forward line the opposition we have to think more and be less certain in what we do. This will work to our advantage
  • Top teams often have a set up dependent on their smalls/mids kicking goals. We've got some great small / mids who will head to goal when in the passed they headed to Fev
  • I'd try Cloke out of the goal square. He's never had that chance in the seniors but did it very well in the Bullants. Yes, his pace is a concern, but with his bulk he can take a mark and when confident can kick straight. Have Waite roaming the HFF and wings, taking marks and bringing the mids / smalls into it. Also, Carlos or Kruz on the HF line wuold take out a good quality opposition play in the least.
  • Yarran (with a year under his belt) & Betts as the smalls will be more likely to go to goal, and are both (potentially) very dangerous players

Will be interesting, however I think a multi-dimensional forward line is more likely to win a premiership than a one dimensional. Given Fev was a bit of a hog in demanding the ball(as good as he is), it was hard to develop a multi-dimensional forward line. Having said that, do we have the cattle for a multi-dimensional forward line?

No one has to be as good as Fev, question is whether these players we're about to try have had the talent but never the opportunity to excel on our forward line, or whether they just weren't up to it to become with. Only time will tell.

Finally, a serious analysis. There is very little in here to disagree with and I think you've summed it up perfectly - basically, we just don't know and that's the truth.

Agreed a multi-dimensional forward line is better IF we have the cattle. And that's a big IF.

The pairing of Brown and Bradshaw proved that a second forward CAN still kick a swag of goals even if the main gun forward is getting all the silver service, so the jury is probably still out on that one. Of course, Brisbane themselves will be the best test of that this year.

Your analysis doesn't take into account the fact that reducing the reliance on the gun forward, also frees up two top defenders to turn their attention elsewhere.

All I can say is, I hope that our pre-season has endless goal kicking drills because we'll need them.

I would love to see T-Bird do a stint up forward, but it leaves an obvious hole down back. Can't see both him and Waite going forward.

As I suggested earlier, the most likely answer to these questions is that we'll come good but not in the first 12 months and unlikely to really get enough experience in the forward line to chase a flag until after the next 24. Hopefully Henderson, Yarran and Kruezer and Setanta all become prolific goal kickers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally, a serious analysis.
They are around if you look for them. I have seen several similar ideas on the boards but it is hard when not everybody reads every thread and therefore they require the same answers that have already been given.

Agree with both of you that it is an unknown, but I am very curious about that unknown. Will be nice to see if someone else can shine with opportunity. Most of our players seldom play forward because Fev is there. Many of our forwards stay away from the play because Fev is there. He may make them second guess on occasion. Empower them in the preseason and see how they go. I reckon we have a 50/50 chance of being surprised.

:confused:

A stitch in time saves nine

LOL

I was being cryptic, I'm with Parko on what just happened.
We let ourselves down. If Fev was a Pie and acted like
a dick (like Fev does) it would have been a fine, 6 weeks off,
loss of match payments, and last chance warning.

And some form of counselling !

Carlton have won 8 times since I came along, and I cant
remember feeling so divided. (Except for seeing our other famous number
25 play for the Saints)

This has far reaching implications. Possible self implosion at
the coaching/admin level I fear... Hope Im totally wrong.

They are around if you look for them. I have seen several similar ideas on the boards but it is hard when not everybody reads every thread and therefore they require the same answers that have already been given.

Agree with both of you that it is an unknown, but I am very curious about that unknown. Will be nice to see if someone else can shine with opportunity. Most of our players seldom play forward because Fev is there. Many of our forwards stay away from the play because Fev is there. He may make them second guess on occasion. Empower them in the preseason and see how they go. I reckon we have a 50/50 chance of being surprised.

Hope you're right TODN - you're opinion is, as usual, informed and balanced.

I'm sure we'll be pleasantly surprised throughout the year. The question is, will we be surprised enough to be top 4 or even top 8?

I sure hope so.

Not a snowflakes chance of top 8, unless we pickup a forward with
at least enough respect to drag more than one defender their way...
The Pre Season Draft will be our saviour !! (I have everything crossed !)

Without Fev, we will probably be weaker for 1-2 years, especially early on with other forwards finding their feet. But this is far from a certainty. It's about goals kicked relative to opportunity. Fev got a huge amount of our forward 50 entry, and did well with it. Not just that, he was also given a lot of forward 50 space to kick those goals. Who knows what other young forwards will do when given that extra opportunity. That is the unknown here. The good news is with Kruezer and Hendo we have some serious emerging talent to take on that role. Setanta was also doing very well at CHF up until he got injured from Fev's knees. Plus our midfield will be even stronger in 2010 which should help the forwards out. :)

Sorry parrot...I;m for the Ewing theory

We are going to be better off

Some posters seem to think that we'll go down because you lose Fev and you can't replace him.

True you can't replace Fev, but remember the old adage, a champion team will always beat a team of champions?

Winning games is all about team structures and how each player sticks to that structure. We're going to have to change our structure

If we play the same structure that we had with Fev without Fev being there, we're f*cked, because no one we have is up to it

But the fact is very few clubs play that one dimensional forward line, look at Geelong, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs (big time) and St Kilda (to a lessor degree). These are the top clubs and they all have multi-dimensional forward lines and mid-fielders who kick goals - this is a structure that we really haven't tried yet., and we probably have the personal to do it.

With McLean in, Judd will have more run, Murphy can kick goals, Gibbs is still 20 and can probably do anything, Simpson runs forward, Carlos can certainly create a contest as can Kruz, and Walks can play forward. Waite has played forward in the past and done it well. Then there's Betts & the Yaz.

Too early to say they're we're stuffed without Fev, what's more if you think that a team needs a brilliant forward to win games then you're completely wrong, sure it helps, but if the top 4 are any yard stick you can still go a long way without a brilliant forward, if you play to your structures

Don't need to post my own analysis of this thread, this is perfect... and what I would have said......or something close to it. :thumbsu:

Is WB still at Bris?I thought he got the flick? If thats the case that's hilarious!

The Age - Tigers coaching duo to join Lions said:
The move comes a day after Brisbane released three of its assistant coaches from this season: Chris Johnson, Wayne Brittain and Craig Brittain.

Tigers coaching duo to join Lions

Suprised that Voss got rid of him after a year. Dont see Brittain going to an opportunity on equal par so looks like he did get the flick. Happened before Fevola was picked up but would have been an interesting renunion.

Tigers coaching duo to join Lions

Suprised that Voss got rid of him after a year. Dont see Brittain going to an opportunity on equal par so looks like he did get the flick. Happened before Fevola was picked up but would have been an interesting renunion.

My understanding was that Wayne & Craig Brittain chose to leave so they could focus on their business.

Reckon this "staff writer" would struggle for a gig at No Idea mag. Puerile vomit.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1225814855196

854501-brendan-fevola-alex-fevola-with-new-baby-daughter.jpg

Brendan looked all the world like a doting father as he carried his new daughter out to the family's waiting car after they touched down in Brisbane.
He cuddled the little bundle of joy tenderly before handing her over to her mum, who popped her into back seat of the car.
Brendan then dutifully carted the family's luggage, including kids' car seats and pushers, Country Road overnight bags and a little pink suitcase on wheels, out to the vehicle.
His two older daughters, Mia and Leni, happily trailed behind the Brisbane Lions recruit.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertai...-1225814855196

We've seen all of this before. Said that he wants to put all of his bad behaviour behind him, focus on just playing good footy, etc, etc. Give him time. As they say, a leopard doesn't change it's spots.

Unless it's a Country Road leopard of course. FMD...

Remove this Banner Ad

Fevola's disrespect forced Blues' hand

Remove this Banner Ad

Back