FIFA World Cup 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Brazil $4.50 tournament favourite

Is that price reflective of this current team or is it more based on previous success

Brazil at the last 2 WCs including the one played on home soil have been underwhelming

their squad is ****ing outrageous. Honestly the depth of their attacking talent is the craziest i've ever seen in a national team

• FW: Neymar (PSG)
  • FW: Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)
  • FW: Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid)
  • FW: Antony (Manchester United)
  • FW: Richarlison (Tottenham)
  • FW: Raphinha (Barcelona)
  • FW: Rodrygo (Real Madrid)
  • FW: Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal)

that is honestly the most ****ed attacking depth in a team ever, they are all in great form as well.

they have the two best keepers in the world in Alison and Ederson.

They have some solid solid defenders who have been around the block and know tournament football well in thiago silva and marquinhos, then have militao who has been crushing it for Real.

Their midfield might be the weakest but they have casemeiro, fabinho and paqueta who should all suffice

They are deserved favourites imo

Surprised there isn't more love for Qatar.

1843810.jpg

Host nations usually 'over perform'. Go through the history of the World Cup, it happens time and again.

They won the AFC in 2019 as hosts, beating Japan, the UAE and Australia en route.

Also the country is notorious for bribery and sports rigging. See the 2015 handball world cup for evidence.

Paying ~ $4 to make the round of 16, $15 for the quarters, and $65 for the semis.

Yes the Netherlands are tough to beat but Senegal has been so-so and Ecuador just play for draws.

Somebody talk me out of loading up on this mob, because I'm thinking of going all in.

From memory South Africa were trash as hosts and I expect Qatar to be worse. They are a lock to bottom their group I reckon.

their squad is ******* outrageous. Honestly the depth of their attacking talent is the craziest i've ever seen in a national team

• FW: Neymar (PSG)
  • FW: Gabriel Jesus (Arsenal)
  • FW: Vinicius Junior (Real Madrid)
  • FW: Antony (Manchester United)
  • FW: Richarlison (Tottenham)
  • FW: Raphinha (Barcelona)
  • FW: Rodrygo (Real Madrid)
  • FW: Gabriel Martinelli (Arsenal)

that is honestly the most ****ed attacking depth in a team ever, they are all in great form as well.

they have the two best keepers in the world in Alison and Ederson.

They have some solid solid defenders who have been around the block and know tournament football well in thiago silva and marquinhos, then have militao who has been crushing it for Real.

Their midfield might be the weakest but they have casemeiro, fabinho and paqueta who should all suffice

They are deserved favourites imo
Their coach though at previous WCs played an almost non Brazil defensive style. Hope they go all out

you realise there are these things called 'friendlies' where they play other nations right lol

Example being they played England in '17 before the WC in '18. My point being no European teams in over 3 years. Will this matter? who knows. Just something for the stat people to think about.

Article I was reading noted this has been the longest period they have not played a European side since 1954.

Something for you to sink your teeth into NYRB ^
I did read about it somewhere. Its a bit surprising that Brazil hasnt played that many games against European opposition in that time frame. Having covid and limited travels didnt help that from a fixturing point of view.

Last time the World Cup was played in the AFC (Asia) zone, Brazil did win it in 2002. From memory, Brazil v England in 2002 Quarter Final pretty much was the game that decided favouritsm for the rest of tournament. Brazil went in as pretty hot favourites in 1998 in France. That France team back then was sort of a once in a generation side, and reflecting back on it over 25 years ago, I dont think there is any shame in finishing 2nd to them.

To make a case to oppose Brazil in the group stages, is similar to Australias group where they played 2 of those 3 sides in 2018, they would have been similar teams they had faced 4 years ago. Brazil will face off against Serbia and Switzerland who have arguably got better since those 4 years back.

Just feel like from a neutral perspective the heat of Qatar will favour the teams from South America over the European teams. I think also the African and maybe even host nation may surprise at this World Cup.

From memory South Africa were trash as hosts and I expect Qatar to be worse. They are a lock to bottom their group I reckon.
Host nations always in World Cups always have a habit of performing well at home.

1990 Italy got to semis (i was too young at that time to understand a fair bit about football)
1994 USA rd of 16
1998 France Winners
2002 Korea semis/Japan top of their pool and Rd of 16
2006 Germany semis
2010 South Africa were competitive and finished 3rd in their pool
2014 Brazil Semis
2018 Russia Quarters

I just feel alot of the Qatar players playing at home will know these conditions better than most, being Asia Champions, and can make out of that group. On paper the Dutch are favourites but there is something about Home World Cups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were the worst team in the tournament, nobody expected them to even get close to their opponents.

Somehow they drew 1-1 with Mexico, and only lost 0-1 to Uruguay.

Then they beat France 1-2.

Only failed to qualify for the R16 on goal difference.

This is exactly what I am talking about, host nations over performing. SA 2010 is a classic example.

pretty sure alot of people wrote off South Korea and Japan in 2002. They were very much considered to be the minnows.

What South Korea did in 2002, no doubt the home crowd had a big role to play.

I think the thing with Qatar is, most of those players are Qatari based, so pretty much no one really knows much about them.

They were the worst team in the tournament, nobody expected them to even get close to their opponents.

Somehow they drew 1-1 with Mexico, and only lost 0-1 to Uruguay.

Then they beat France 1-2.

Only failed to qualify for the R16 on goal difference.

This is exactly what I am talking about, host nations over performing. SA 2010 is a classic example.

From memory France were already eliminated from the tournament come the last game and the match was a dead rubber

Looking forward to the next 4 weeks of betting the World Cup. I think France wins it all again this year, with Brazil being my second fav. I'm not betting any of the group outcomes this year because most of the odds are just too short and I don't want to multi any of those. It's the world cup, anything can happen. So I've got the following tournament long bets.

Promo Bets:
$5 - France to Win the world cup @ $101 (BetR)
$5 - Brazil to Win the world cup @ $101 (BetR)
$10 - France Win & Mbappe most goals @ $34 (PB)
$10 - Brazil Win & Neymar most goals @ $29 (PB)

Player to score x goals in the tournament (took all these today, but some of these prices are gone now):
2u - Mbappe 3+ goals @ $1.87 (PB)
1u - Mbappe 4+ goals @ $3.10 (PB)
1u - Lewandoski 2+ goals @ $1.90 (TAB)
1u - Gabriel Jesus 1+ goal @ $1.75 (TAB)
1u - Neymar 3+ goals @ $1.72 (SB)
1u - Messi 3+ goals @ $1.72 (SB)
1u - Leroy Sane 1+ goal @ $1.75 (TAB)
2u - De Bruyne 2+ goals @ $2.80 (PB)
1u - Modric 1+ goal @ $1.83 (SB)
1u - Nunez 2+ goals @ $2.90 (PB)
2u - Ronaldo 3+ goals @ $2.63 (SB)
1u - Kane 3+ goals @ $1.80 (PB)

1u - Lautaro Martinez Top scorer from the Serie A @ $5.00 (TAB)
0.25u - Craig Goodwin Top scorer for Australia @ $21 (B365)

Will be betting on most games as well probably, after all the World Cup only comes around every 4 years!

Good Luck all!

I did read about it somewhere. Its a bit surprising that Brazil hasnt played that many games against European opposition in that time frame. Having covid and limited travels didnt help that from a fixturing point of view.

Last time the World Cup was played in the AFC (Asia) zone, Brazil did win it in 2002. From memory, Brazil v England in 2002 Quarter Final pretty much was the game that decided favouritsm for the rest of tournament. Brazil went in as pretty hot favourites in 1998 in France. That France team back then was sort of a once in a generation side, and reflecting back on it over 25 years ago, I dont think there is any shame in finishing 2nd to them.

To make a case to oppose Brazil in the group stages, is similar to Australias group where they played 2 of those 3 sides in 2018, they would have been similar teams they had faced 4 years ago. Brazil will face off against Serbia and Switzerland who have arguably got better since those 4 years back.

Just feel like from a neutral perspective the heat of Qatar will favour the teams from South America over the European teams. I think also the African and maybe even host nation may surprise at this World Cup.
I have the host nation being flogged tournament opener

Remove this Banner Ad

FIFA World Cup 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back