Preview FINALS BABY! All things in general related to finals but not a specific match

Remove this Banner Ad

This is true. Add to that our midfield has been outplayed most weeks and we haven’t been able to improve it.
Our clearance work is poor. This will be highlighted in finals.
We average more clearances per game than the swans. If we get the mix right in the centre and Briggs crashes in against Grundy we will be just fine through the middle. Force them to exit out the back of the clearance and good luck escaping jones/binga tackles.

Anyone have issues with the ticketek site getting GWS tickets? Ticketek has been a total cluster**** today...

Haven’t heard any issues from the Giants side of things, heard Swans were struggling

Been hit and miss, the dishlickers v hawfs youf sales had a lot of problems as well. Not a club fault per-say but the way the ticketing for AFL finals is handled by a third party leaves a lot to be desired.

Some issues across the board with competing clubs, who's members with legitimate barcodes being denied for 40m-an hour before mysteriously working, then to only be offered seating in the nose bleeds.

such is life

Been hit and miss, the dishlickers v hawfs youf sales had a lot of problems as well. Not a club fault per-say but the way the ticketing for AFL finals is handled by a third party leaves a lot to be desired.

Some issues across the board with competing clubs, who's members with legitimate barcodes being denied for 40m-an hour before mysteriously working, then to only be offered seating in the nose bleeds.

such is life
Yes, I've heard the same, complete cluster. Ticketek via phone wasn't working, but via computer/laptop was.

Sydney has lost all 3 of its finals against GWS, including in 2018 when they swept the derby as they did this year.

This will be the 3rd QF between Port and Geelong at AO since 2020, Port won both those meeting.

Doggies and Hawthorn last met in the finals in the 2016 semis, with WB on their way to the flag from 7th and Hawks exiting finals sans premiership for the first time since 2012.

Vossy takes on his old club in finals for the second year in a row, it's also the matchup in which he got his sole finals W as Lions coach - Brisbane vs Carlton in an EF at the Gabba.

Really feel like all of these could go either way.

Are Giants fans happier going from 3rd to 4th so they don't have to go interstate and play in Sydney at The SCG? What is Giants fans thoughts on The SCG anyway? I find it interesting it's not one of The Giants home grounds like Stadium Australia is.

Are Giants fans happier going from 3rd to 4th so they don't have to go interstate and play in Sydney at The SCG? What is Giants fans thoughts on The SCG anyway? I find it interesting it's not one of The Giants home grounds like Stadium Australia is.
I like Giants stadium as you can often sit where you want, also can often drive there and park reasonably easily in P1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SCG is a bit of a pain to get to and park.

But helluva lot easier than flying to Adelaide!

So, yeah, that's OK. Probably back ourselves more to beat Port than Sydney, but still think there's a chance to knock the Swans off.

SCG is a bit of a pain to get to and park.

But helluva lot easier than flying to Adelaide!

So, yeah, that's OK. Probably back ourselves more to beat Port than Sydney, but still think there's a chance to knock the Swans off.
I think Sydney are probably push overs after Port did them in by 112 points, GWS should be able to easily win against them. I think it could be a Port v GWS grand final.

Here's something to ponder in the next few days.

According to the match reports, these were the Swans best players in each of our last ten encounters. I've bolded those who names appear at least twice and are still on their list:

R15 2024 - Gulden, Rowbottom, Grundy, Heeney, Warner, Adams, Blakey
R8 2024 - Heeney, Hayward, Gulden, Grundy, Rowbottom, Warner, Rampe
R21 2023 – Gulden, Lloyd, Parker, Fox, Mills, McLean, Rowbottom
R7 2023 - Parker, Hayward, Warner, Gulden, Ladhams, Lloyd
R20 2022 - Parker, Rowbottom, Gulden, Mills, McCartin, Reid, Heeney
R1 2022 - Parker, Florent, Heeney, Mills, Blakey
EF 2021 - Heeney, Parker, Franklin, Dawson, Papley, Hewett, Hickey
R18 2021 - Kennedy, Parker, Papley, Hewett, Franklin, McInerney, Hickey
R5 2021 - Franklin, Hayward, Lloyd, Dawson, Hickey
R12 2020 - Parker, Rampe, Blakey, Rowbottom, Sinclair, Dawson, Melican

Amazing, isn't it? It's always the same players. Here's the tally:

7 - Parker
5 - Gulden, Rowbottom, Heeney
3 - Warner, Hayward, Blakey, Lloyd, Mills
2 - Grundy, Rampe

Parker was not selected in R8 this year and was suspended in R15. What's the bet he would have been amongst their best had he played?

Why can't we stop these guys?

Sydney Swans and GWS Giants fans were left frustrated trying to secure tickets on Tuesday for next Saturday’s qualifying final at the SCG due to technical glitches.

Giants fans posted on social media about getting timed out of the site while waiting to buy tickets for the now sold-out match, and Swans fans faced challenges with their member barcodes not being recognised by Ticketek during the pre-sale for members. The barcode issue lasted approximately twenty minutes, and some members said they were placed to the back of the digital queue due to the system glitch.

Asked about the issues with barcodes while trying to purchase tickets for the game, a Ticketek spokesperson said it could have been caused fans’ security settings. “Today and yesterday’s on-sales have sold out with interest being at an all-time high. Fans were successfully able to transact without issues to secure tickets for week one of the AFL finals,” the spokesperson said. “Occasionally, there is a small number of individuals whose security settings do not comply with our cyber protection rules. As we become aware of each case, we look to work with them to assist where possible. These issues are a direct result of the security protections we have in place to ensure all fans have a fair and equitable right to purchase tickets."

AFL Fans Association president Ron Issko received complaints from fans after the experience and believes that it is time for the AFL finals ticketing system, which is handled by Ticketek and Ticketmaster, to be reviewed. “There just needs to be a complete overhaul of the Ticketek and Ticketmaster system to be tested on high-demand games and to be fixed so it can handle high-demand games, because at the moment every year we get the same story,” Issko said. “It’s really disappointing for Sydney Swans fans and GWS fans; it’s also disappointing to promote the game in NSW. When it’s a sellout of the SCG or a high-demand game at the MCG, we get these hiccups, and I’m saying hiccups very, very generously, [it’s] a disaster really for some people, and [the systems] should be battle tested so they can withstand the high-demand games.”

I think we would have preferred a home final...after that it's much of a muchness.
Giants tend to play away smash and grab games pretty well.
SCG isn't in Western Sydney so it would kinda defeat the purpose of the club to play there in my opinion.
Accor isn't used for AFL anymore either.
Giants stadium is fantastic. Especially when full in a final or round 0 this year.
It's major flaws are that the trains are a pain in the arse and it's in a soulless precinct.....oh and the Easter show.

I think if the Giants used the SCG there'd be a host of problems.
1. You might lose your western Sydney fans you worked hard to get (lots of families)
2. It's not automatically going to look like a Swans game....the crowds won't just appear coz you play near the city.
3. Branding wise I don't think the Giants are trying to be 'Swans lite'. They have their own identity and it'd be stronger to continue to try and make Engie a fortress in the west.

I think we would have preferred a home final...after that it's much of a muchness.
Giants tend to play away smash and grab games pretty well.
SCG isn't in Western Sydney so it would kinda defeat the purpose of the club to play there in my opinion.
Giants stadium is fantastic. Especially when full in a final or round 0 this year.
It's major flaws are that the trains are a pain in the arse and it's in a soulless precinct.....oh and the Easter show.

I think if the Giants used the SCG there'd be a host of problems.
1. You might lose your western Sydney fans you worked hard to get (lots of families)
2. It's not automatically going to look like a Swans game....the crowds won't just appear coz you play near the city.
3. Branding wise I don't think the Giants are trying to be 'Swans lite'. They have their own identity and it'd be stronger to continue to try and make Engie a fortress in the west.

It’s funny though. I had this conversation last night. Giants tend to get pretty good finals turnouts. That 2016 prelim was such a good atmosphere. I just get annoyed that the same amount of people don’t turn out to regular season games.

But I guess you have the neutrals that pick a team in finals too

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Honestly, would much rather lose week 1 and play loser of Brisbane / Carlton than play the winner of Bulldogs / Hawks in the prelim. Feel like Brisbane/Carlton then Geelong/Port is an "easier" path to the Grand Final
So you'd rather lose week one have to play cut throat final more than likely against last year's Grand finalist, then travel to either Adelaide Melbourne or even Geelong to play an away preliminary final? Nah bugger that when you can win this week then play a home preliminary final

Honestly, would much rather lose week 1 and play loser of Brisbane / Carlton than play the winner of Bulldogs / Hawks in the prelim. Feel like Brisbane/Carlton then Geelong/Port is an "easier" path to the Grand Final
The winner of Bulldogs/Hawks would have to get past the loser of Port/Geelong to reach the preliminary final.
For the record I reckon GWS are a good chance for the flag and I have backed them, Would still be a chance even if they lost week 1, But a week 1 win and a quick path to a home preliminary final is definitely the best path to a GF and a premiership. Good luck

They seem to bring it back periodically, though, like in 2022, after years of not using it. I know The Sydney Showgrounds Stadium is preferred, but as an alternative if unavailable would Stadium Australia or The SCG be preferred for Giants fans? I'd assume Giants fans would rather The "away" QF be played at Stadium Australia to make it more neutral?

I think it's an interesting situation in the modern era to have 3 AFL stadiums in the town, it's usually only 1 or 2 in Melbourne's case.

Also, it does remind me of The Waverley situation where Hawthorn didn't want to move their games from Waverley Park to The Docklands.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview FINALS BABY! All things in general related to finals but not a specific match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back