Finals + Granny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well considering the contract is also between the Vic Govt and not just AFL and MCC, I'd say Dan has had a sneaky word to Gil and said "not yet. dont pull the trigger just yet".

At the end of the day the Vic Govt makes a tonne of money through the grand final. They want it here as well. And ultimately are the ones to say yay or nay.
yeah thats true, Dictator Dan wont pull the plug on GF because it makes cash for his government

Amazing how long the AFL are taking to announce the venue of the Grand Final, just so Victoria can have a shot at hosting the final that they've hosted for 123 years. Please, cry me a Yarra River... it's done, you're cooked.

Impossible to know at this point. Will likely have to be made GF week once a clearer indication is given. Should be @ the best venue. So
1. MCG = 100K = pipe dream
2. Perth = 60K- Next best but having teams quarantine +injected etc makes it too difficult
3. Adelaide = 55K. Early fav. Just keep that CHO nut from making any statements
4. Brisbane =40K If you were betting this is a roughy
5. Tassie = 20K Better than nothing
6. ACT/Darwin = Yep. Even with 10K. An empty stadium would be a farce

yeah thats true, Dictator Dan wont pull the plug on GF because it makes cash for his government

Would it make any this year even if they could have it and get 40-50k at it.? No one will be going to it outside of Victoria so nothing for the economy in regards to tourism. Just gate receipts for the AFL and thats it.

Its been implied pretty heavily the last couple weeks that the GF is between MCG and Optus. With the fifty odd Vic cases today I reckon they should just announce Optus now and be done with it.
MCG would be way down the order. More like

Optus, Adelaide oval, UTAS, Blundstone arena & then maybe the MCG. Hell I’d rather it at Norwood oval with crowds over a soulless empty MCG.

Its been implied pretty heavily the last couple weeks that the GF is between MCG and Optus. With the fifty odd Vic cases today I reckon they should just announce Optus now and be done with it.
All but 13 were in full isolation, so the number is a little misleading.

The decision will be made on 2 September, which is when Melbourne either comes out of lockdown or has it extended.

I expect the GF to be in Perth, but if we somehow came out of lockdown (which I doubt) then the GF will probably be in Melbourne. The MCC and VIC government are not going to let the GF slip away 2 years in a row without a fight.

todays numbers are a once off spike. The school cluster from two weeks ago they put heaps of people deemed tier 1 into iso, today was their 13 day test and all were in iso for their full infectious period. No different to getting a spike from overseas arrivals, no need for alarm. Only 13 in the community is the number to look for, and that is reducing.

Probably will be announced on Sunday night.

TBH the more pressing issue is when are the finals venues going to be announced? Surely teams can't play infront of no crowds for any finals?

Reports this week have made it clear that finals will be played in front of crowds. Apparently the Victorian and NSW clubs that have earned a home final will have the option of playing in Qld, SA or Tasmania in week one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing how long the AFL are taking to announce the venue of the Grand Final, just so Victoria can have a shot at hosting the final that they've hosted for 123 years. Please, cry me a Yarra River... it's done, you're cooked.

If they announce it now and the state with the gf venue in it has cases and shuts the border, they'll just have to name another state.

I really don't see any point in making a decision until gf week.

If the first 3 weeks go off with no changes, they really need to just play the gf the next week and not throw a bye in. Having the bye making it a 2 week break, you're just asking for trouble.

The above makes sense having both the prelims and Grand Final in Perth with the bye week able to happen inbetween and not compromise the qualifying final winners. Would mean Port couldn't host a prelim even if they earnt it though.

Numbers are going to be much lower in Melbourne today.

If they can get the mystery cases under control and essentially every positive case was in ISO in the days leading into 2 Sep, I don’t see a reason why the GF isn’t at the MCG.

What are the odds of folks from COVID free states being able to attend
For attendance there won't need to be interstaters. Will sell out easily, a trip to the Grand final is really expensive from Perth when you consider inflated flights and accommodation. The AFL will be able to inflate prices by 50% and still end up selling out the GF. The prelims I am not sure about.

You are right though if some walks into the stadium with a runny nose it would close up quicker than formula 1 race cars fuel cap

You are right though if some walks into the stadium with a runny nose it would close up quicker than formula 1 race cars fuel cap
If GF is in perth, someone has to have a runny nose on the other side of the country and they will shut down the GF

Numbers are going to be much lower in Melbourne today.

If they can get the mystery cases under control and essentially every positive case was in ISO in the days leading into 2 Sep, I don’t see a reason why the GF isn’t at the MCG.

Mate there is more chance of Antarctica hosting the GF than the G. For the Dee's sake lets hope its Adelaide Oval.

Mate there is more chance of Antarctica hosting the GF than the G. For the Dee's sake lets hope its Adelaide Oval.
It’ll be Perth. The AFL as per usual have slowly put it out there in the media just like they do with everything.

Firstly, **** Dan Andrews and his corrupt MCG Contract. Absolutely the most despicable unfair and unjust piece of shit contract that has ever been entered into. Gil should be strung up for signing that utter garbage.

Secondly, why couldn't Port, or potentially Brisbane host a Prelim final, if the GF was to be played in Perth? They could play on the Friday night, fly to Perth on Sat, do this stupid 14 day thing and be right to go on the Saturday fortnight? Who actually gives a **** about the "Parade"? Whoever the competing teams are, they won't be West Australian. Its not like many of the actual fans will be there to witness it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Finals + Granny?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back