First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still to win 4 more when Carlton or Essendon only have one to go, I think Carlton are on the up a bit.
Earliest Blues would realistically be ready is 2022 season.

Essendon while unlikely, could snag one before then. They have the right age list profile and who knows what they'll turn the Daniher picks into?

Going to say Collingwood.

Carlton and Essendons lean periods will have to end eventually though. Just like Richmond's did. But I'm backing this current Pies side to get one and then it's 16 all and anyone's game.

I want to believe this, but does it really?

St Kilda have won one in their entire existence, the rest is a "lean period". Same as Freo.

I don't think it's likely we'll be stuck on 16 for another 50 years, but it is possible.

I want to believe this, but does it really?

St Kilda have won one in their entire existence, the rest is a "lean period". Same as Freo.

I don't think it's likely we'll be stuck on 16 for another 50 years, but it is possible.

I believe football department spending and such is important and both those clubs are a bit like Richmond about 10 years ago - only at a fraction of their potential but still well placed in that regard.

Its only out of Carlton Essendon Collingwood.

Surprised Richmond have won 12, felt more like 8.
Surprised Carlton actually have 16 wtf!! They're on a Richmond like draught prior to 2017. When did you win them all when there was 4 teams and rest fighting in world war 1 & 2 lol.
Collingwood will get there first without a dought!

Nobody:
Port fans: m8 we’ve already got 30+ Premierships bloody vic bias blah blah blah Connor Rozee was robbed of rising star something something Kane Cornes

After 30 AFL flags Hawks have got 5, O flags Melbourne, Saints, North from lots in 30 seasons, 0 for Freo is lesser seasons & GWS and Suns from even shots .....

Even Cornesy has got one :thumbsu:

Who knows?

Obviously the closer you are the less you need to win.

Right now I'd guess the Tigers could win another 2 (??). If the kids coming through are as good as they have looked might pinch another flag with an old Dusty. So that'd make 15. Where the other 2 come from I have no idea.

However, if we do make 17 first you won't find me complaining. :cool:

Who knows?

Obviously the closer you are the less you need to win.

Right now I'd guess the Tigers could win another 2 (??). If the kids coming through are as good as they have looked might pinch another flag with an old Dusty. So that'd make 15. Where the other 2 come from I have no idea.

However, if we do make 17 first you won't find me complaining. :cool:
lol. fair call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s really only between Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.

Collingwood looks the most likely to win a flag first of those 3, they are Currenty one of the better teams and could win one in the next year or two with a fair bit of luck and everything goes their way, but there are still three or four better teams than them at the moment. Even if they win one I can’t see them winning another with their current crop to make it 17.

Essendon appear to be in no mans land to me. They are a reasonable side straddling in the middle part of the ladder who are not a real threat for the flag. They are not rebuilding, but are not a threat either.

Carlton are my tip for the first to 17. They are just coming of a rebuild and are now ready to start climbing up the ladder with the maturity of their draftees over the years and the anticipated recruits this off season. They should be in real contention in 2-3 years imo. Obviously there is no certainty of them achieving the ultimate success, but at the moment they are the most likely.

I wouldn’t put Richmond or Hawthorn as an option in the poll. I think they are a bit too far out if we look at the states of their lists in comparison to the Premierships they won to date. One had a successful era recently (Hawthorn) with a stack of talent and may need a bit too much talent added to the current list to get to 17 Premierships first.

Richmond have a lot of core players approaching 30 (at least 2 or so years out at the end of next year) or are above 30 already. To name them, it’s Grimes, Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards, Houli, Martin, Astbury, Lambert, Pickett and Prestia. That’s pretty much the top end of our best 22 with the exception of Pickett. The likelihood of Richmond getting to 17 Premierships first would be slim in my opinion because of this reason. If we wanted to do that, then we probably needed to win a couple of Premierships during the 2013 - 2016 era as well as our current Premierships.

Melbourne might given the age profile of their core, but it’s highly unlikely since they’re so far out.

I think it may end up being Carlton. Did a proper rebuild and got talent through. Once they mature (like Brisbane’s talent), I can see them getting to 17 Premierships first unless Essendon get their act together and do something meaningful in the next 2 or so years.

Earliest Blues would realistically be ready is 2022 season.

Essendon while unlikely, could snag one before then. They have the right age list profile and who knows what they'll turn the Daniher picks into?

Bit more optimistic - thinking 2021 is a reasonable chance for a Carlton premiership - basing this on Hawthorn 2008 and Bulldogs 2016 - you never know your luck! I'm expecting a very good year next year - so much has fallen / is falling into place - and looking at a top 4-6 finish.

Bit more optimistic - thinking 2021 is a reasonable chance for a Carlton premiership - basing this on Hawthorn 2008 and Bulldogs 2016 - you never know your luck! I'm expecting a very good year next year - so much has fallen / is falling into place - and looking at a top 4-6 finish.
When I was a wildly optimistic young lad thinking about our young stars coming through- Cotchin, Martin Edwards etc around 2011, I put us down for making the 8 in 12, the 4 in 13 and proper contention from 14-15.
Went a bit early as I think you are now.

Remove this Banner Ad

First club to 17 premierships?

Back