News Fit-again Buckley ready to fire

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD defender Simon Buckley believes the depth of the playing squad will be the key if the Pies are to go back-to-back in 2011.
After being named as an emergency on seven occasions last season, Buckley admitted being frustrated over his inability to get into the senior line-up last season.
But he conceded the fight for positions will hold the team in good stead as round one fast approaches.

Sounds like he is over the Injuries he has had.

Good Back-Up but at the Moment I can't see him being in the Best 22.

RD 2 NAB Cup was better then RD 1

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/108454/default.aspx

Considering his strengths and weaknesses I can't see a role for him in the seniors. Really needs to improve his defensive game and decision making. His defensive weakness will really hold him back in this side. This should be his focus in the VFL this season. If he can improve this aspect of his game he's a chance.

Certainly improved in NAB 2 from the first game. Really could not fault his performance. Did what he had to do with minimum fuss and used the footy much better coming out of defence.

Do agree with Quicky that he must improved his defensive all round game because rebounding off HB just won't be enough to get a game in our side- particularly as guys like Maxy, Heater, Harry, Tooves and the Sack can do both-rebound and defend.

Still a very handy option to have if we need him to come in for one of those guys over the season.

I think he's capable of playing but I just don't see who he pushes out of the side. There are better options but the good thing is if we needed him he'd be right to go. He doesn't exactly offer anything we don't already have in the side either.

Buckley is the heir-apparent to Ben Johnson. Some are predicting a tough year for Johnson and if that is the case, I reckon Buckley would be a perfect replacement for him in the team. The ultimate example of Collingwood's depth creating tough competition for spots. To be honest, in terms of value to the side, reckon Buckley and Johnson are neck and neck.

Ben Johnson is safe.. easily best 22, very reliable and composed.. the game hasnt gone past him yet.

I don't mind Bucks, he is very handy for depth, but that's all he is, if he plays more then a handful of games, we won't be doing anything this year.

And as for why he didn't play a game last year, ask his ex girlfriend.;)

Buckley looked the best I've seen him against Sydney. I think he's in the 25-30 range on our list currently though.

Comparing him to BJ is a bit premature though, BJ is a far better decision maker under pressure although his execution is below average. Buckley has a long way to go with his decision making but his disposal is more reliable.

Buckley is the heir-apparent to Ben Johnson. Some are predicting a tough year for Johnson and if that is the case, I reckon Buckley would be a perfect replacement for him in the team. The ultimate example of Collingwood's depth creating tough competition for spots. To be honest, in terms of value to the side, reckon Buckley and Johnson are neck and neck.

Spot on, As much as I love Johnno he was getting caught way to easily on Friday night so Buckley's pace will be crucial as a potential replacement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not denying Ben Johnson's credentials. Just saying that if Johnson starts to struggle then Buckley is a really good back up.

Buckley played better against the swans. You'll find that if he is given a bit of a run in the seniors, decision making will get better as he becomes familiar with the structures, his team mates and the intensity of AFL senior footy.

Also, if we persist with Heath Shaw in the forward line, then having Buckley as an option for the running back flanker gives us a bit more flexibility in that regard. Reckon we'll see more than just a handful of games from him.

:thumbsu:
Not denying Ben Johnson's credentials. Just saying that if Johnson starts to struggle then Buckley is a really good back up.

Buckley played better against the swans. You'll find that if he is given a bit of a run in the seniors, decision making will get better as he becomes familiar with the structures, his team mates and the intensity of AFL senior footy.

Also, if we persist with Heath Shaw in the forward line, then having Buckley as an option for the running back flanker gives us a bit more flexibility in that regard. Reckon we'll see more than just a handful of games from him.

:thumbsu:

His disposal and decision making is just not quite up to it at the minute, would fit in well to a collingwood team in the early 2000s, maybe not so much now.

Ohhh haha got you! I think another problem for Buckley is that he's relying on a couple of injuries or form slumps to consistent players for him to get games, and that's not looking very likely.

Injuries and form slumps happen to all teams every year. Nathan Brown and Tyson Goldsack, to name just a few, are premiership players because of injury/form slumps to other players.

I'm I the only one who had a slight hope it was our future coach this title was referring to maybe playing again :p ?

No!
I had a definite firming on first read of the title.
He certainly looks able from training pics.:D

Thought he looked good on Friday, a bit of toe and a very big kick with pretty good looking accuracy over 50 odd metres. With everyone looking to emulate the press, will be a premium on accurate kicking and purchase. Could well figure in a few games this year.

Don't mind Leon experiment either just quietly. Krakouer was rocking my world also.

Wish we still had Barham, it would be pleasing to hear commentators referring to Krakouer - Barham.

Buckley was pretty clean the other night.

Skills were good, though expect he'd only get a game if injuries to probably both Heater and Tooves, nice to have that extra layer of back up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back