Fitzpatrick calls presidents meeting

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon supporters should listen to Peter Gordon's comments about the meeting on 774 just now.

The AFL have their barrels loaded.

Key notes? Link?

Peter Gordon talking tough, so there is one vote.

Yep... The others will be the same... Vlad would have already sussed that out... Cant see one ounce of sympathy from other teams...

Finals teams... Pissed that no media on them which means less build up and less $$$
Just outside finals teams... Want a chance to play finals which also = $$$$
Expansion clubs... will be on AFL side
Melbourne/Bulldogs... ready to stick in the boot cause Dons have guarded their own $$$

If Little does not attend then he risks the Presidents being unrestrained and making a decision without him...

If Little does attend then he may walk out and resign on the spot

I'm hearing some interesting stuff this morning around this meeting. Looks like the AFL has clear majority support for dumping Essendon from the finals. They expect to be immediately injuncted on the same grounds of 'procedural fairness', but they expect that injunction to fail.

The issue is actually how they do it - after Essendon didn't take the deal, the mood among some clubs is that deregistration is cleaner (?!) than taking points away. There is some dispute whether the AFL has enough support to run that line, as it gives them back the keys to the car and there would not be a definite timeframe for what happens to the licence. It could be that this weekend's game (yes, Round 22) is Essendon's last for quite a while but I don't think the AFL has the necessary number of clubs yet.

I think this is the cleanest answer. Essendon can go and have their tantrums and jump up and down and the rest of the competition can get on with the season. It would be a crushing blow.

Essendon,

prepareyouranus.png

I thought that's what the 'Lube-All Plus' was for?

i am insulted to be regarded in the same group as Carlton. I can think of at least 2 other clubs bigger. oh wait, one is getting severely f*cked on.

still, carlton is really one of the big boys? really? there should be a joint asada/wada/acc/afl investigation into this.

Carlton do have some big hitters, more than the Hawks for one, and probably more than anyone.

So as Little does a ring around tonight how many Presidents do you think are taking his call?

I reckon a lot of calls going to message bank.

AFL would have a quorum before they even walk into the meeting. Hawthorn will have been promised a better compo pick for Buddy, Pies revenue lines protected from equalisation and so on. What has Little got to offer any of the other clubs?

Hawks would like a better draw please. If the AFL want to screw Essendon royally, give them our draw.

God I wish James Hird the player and James Hird the coach were two separate people. I'm over this. Better get that 2000 Season highlights dvd out again. I just don't understand why the club had all this confidence all year that we would be ok and then after 6 months nothing. They have let us supporters down massively, with the idea that they had something up their sleeve. Pathetic, I'm going to start following NRL and support the Cronulla Sharks instead. Oh wait..

The interesting thing will be if Little jumps or is pushed. The 17 other clubs will be desperate not to be the bad guys, they won't want this to come to a vote. They will make their feelings known and expect Little to see how things have stacked-up and decide to volunteer for the Bombers to step aside. McGuire, Brayshaw and Koch won't want the media backlash and boycotts, and Westaway is the trucking business and won't want to poke Toll too hard.

Big problem is that the biggest president is Eddie! And by them trying to drag Collingwood into this by mentioning they were trying to keep up with the pies program they have turned Ed and to him Essendon are enemy number1

The interesting thing will be if Little jumps or is pushed. The 17 other clubs will be desperate not to be the bad guys, they won't want this to come to a vote. They will make their feelings known and expect Little to see how things have stacked-up and decide to volunteer for the Bombers to step aside. McGuire, Brayshaw and Koch won't want the media backlash and boycotts, and Westaway is the trucking business and won't want to poke Toll too hard.

Hopefully Cransberg makes a stand then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm hearing some interesting stuff this morning around this meeting. Looks like the AFL has clear majority support for dumping Essendon from the finals. They expect to be immediately injuncted on the same grounds of 'procedural fairness', but they expect that injunction to fail.

The issue is actually how they do it - after Essendon didn't take the deal, the mood among some clubs is that deregistration is cleaner (?!) than taking points away. There is some dispute whether the AFL has enough support to run that line, as it gives them back the keys to the car and there would not be a definite timeframe for what happens to the licence. It could be that this weekend's game (yes, Round 22) is Essendon's last for quite a while but I don't think the AFL has the necessary number of clubs yet.

The more I think about it the more I think Essendon are gone today. If the clubs vote them out there is no legal recourse is there? Who do Essendon take action against? Every other club? A court will not touch that.

So assuming this is on the cards, Essendon get voted out. Ignored for a few weeks while the season is completed. Then the AFL and the EFC negotiate a deal in the off season with the threat that they will only be allowed back in when they bend over and accept their penalty. AFL saves a mountain of heartache and money. All of the supposed weaknesses in the AFL structure (restraint of trade, salary cap, whatever else) never gets tested in court. The clubs do all of the AFL's dirty work so the AFL come out smelling like roses. Job done.

It is &*%$ing brilliant!

You would think its far too late for Little to simply step aside and a soft deal be accepted.

So if
The more I think about it the more I think Essendon are gone today. If the clubs vote them out there is no legal recourse is there? Who do Essendon take action against? Every other club? A court will not touch that.

So assuming this is on the cards, Essendon get voted out. Ignored for a few weeks while the season is completed. Then the AFL and the EFC negotiate a deal in the off season with the threat that they will only be allowed back in when they bend over and accept their penalty. AFL saves a mountain of heartache and money. All of the supposed weaknesses in the AFL structure (restraint of trade, salary cap, whatever else) never gets tested in court. The clubs do all of the AFL's dirty work so the AFL come out smelling like roses. Job done.

It is &*%$ing brilliant!
this week is essendons last week,does that mean richmond get a bye next week :0

Pathetic, I'm going to start following NRL and support the Cronulla Sharks instead. Oh wait..

I'm a Sharks supporter. I'm prepared to have them wiped off the map. They do admit they have done wrong and will fix it, without actually confessing to what they have done wrong. Very weird.

I think you will simply find they will endorse the commission and the AFL executive re their handling of the investigation.

Make a statement about the fact that we all signed up to follow the rules of the AFL and make a thinly disguised comment that if you don't like the rules you are welcome to leave and join another competition.

I think you will simply find they will endorse the commission and the AFL executive re their handling of the investigation.

Make a statement about the fact that we all signed up to follow the rules of the AFL and make a thinly disguised comment that if you don't like the rules you are welcome to leave and join another competition.

Essendon are proving to be recalcitrant silly's though. A statement is not going to change a thing. In fact it will likely give them more ammunition that the AFL is conspiring against them and denying them natural justice. They will say that the weak clubs are conflicted, that the big clubs just hate them anyway, that the new clubs are AFL owned and not independent, etc.

Essendon need to be cut adrift for a while to have a good think about things. The AFL and other clubs, particularly the top 8 have other things to worry about that cannot wait.

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzpatrick calls presidents meeting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back