Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

Everton could be copping another points deduction.

I understand it's complicated but it's insane to me that the season starts with this hanging over the clubs. Surely the numbers either add up, or they don't.

They've got to improve the system so that clubs know what deduction they're starting with before a season starts.

Everton could be copping another points deduction.

I understand it's complicated but it's insane to me that the season starts with this hanging over the clubs. Surely the numbers either add up, or they don't.

They've got to improve the system so that clubs know what deduction they're starting with before a season starts.

The issue is that it really is complex, because it all comes down to what the costs are defined as as to whether they're deductible or not.

Think about a complex tax return and tax accountants trying to claim deductions or loopholes etc. it can get really complicated really quickly.

The issue is that it really is complex, because it all comes down to what the costs are defined as as to whether they're deductible or not.

Think about a complex tax return and tax accountants trying to claim deductions or loopholes etc. it can get really complicated really quickly.
This is far more your area than mine - can they not better define these parameters?

It just feels like it's overly complex and might be better adjudicated if the process was simplified.

This is far more your area than mine - can they not better define these parameters?

It just feels like it's overly complex and might be better adjudicated if the process was simplified.

Because it's so subjective. For example, the interest on the loan Everton took out for the construction of their stadium, should that be deductible because the interest is on funds used on infrastructure? And how do they determine that those funds were specifically used on the stadium and not the running of the club if it's not quarantined to a particular company? Things like that can become so convoluted to trace through. The broader strokes you use on what can and can't be used, the more nuance is needed to rule out the greys.

Because it's so subjective. For example, the interest on the loan Everton took out for the construction of their stadium, should that be deductible because the interest is on funds used on infrastructure? And how do they determine that those funds were specifically used on the stadium and not the running of the club if it's not quarantined to a particular company? Things like that can become so convoluted to trace through. The broader strokes you use on what can and can't be used, the more nuance is needed to rule out the greys.
That's exactly what I'm saying though, take the subjective out of it. Determine either the construction does or does not fall in to it. Just make a decision, give them notice so they can adequately plan for it etc.

It just seems like they've not set out any parameters and we're now seeing clubs left in lingo while awaiting these decisions.

That's exactly what I'm saying though, take the subjective out of it. Determine either the construction does or does not fall in to it. Just make a decision, give them notice so they can adequately plan for it etc.

It just seems like they've not set out any parameters and we're now seeing clubs left in lingo while awaiting these decisions.

But what I mean is how do you prove the money was used for the construction if it's just sat in a big pool of money, so how do you intrinsically tie the interest payments to the construction and not to, say, money spent on funding player wages or other running costs of the club.

But what I mean is how do you prove the money was used for the construction if it's just sat in a big pool of money, so how do you intrinsically tie the interest payments to the construction and not to, say, money spent on funding player wages or other running costs of the club.
Perhaps you can't? So make it inclusive in the overall figures, rather than trying to separate it?

Perhaps you can't? So make it inclusive in the overall figures, rather than trying to separate it?

But this would be Everton's argument - that it is directly linked to their investment in the stadium which they should be entitled to deduct for FFP purposes. And this is how these things end up becoming complex because each side can make a valid argument for why it can or can't be included.

If the league couldn't prove a breach last year they should have held off any punishment until they could, or punish them last season for what they could and call an end to any further action.

Points deductions in two separate seasons for a breach in the same financial year seems wrong to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice!

Looking forward to the day that we are handed our first league title in just over 11 and a half years since the last one.
LOL. How the mighty have fallen.

If the league couldn't prove a breach last year they should have held off any punishment until they could, or punish them last season for what they could and call an end to any further action.

Points deductions in two separate seasons for a breach in the same financial year seems wrong to me.
Especially when it quite literally can mean the difference between a club being relegated that season or not.

'Musician' 5%. I don't know why but that made me chuckle seeing that mixed in.

Also, yes, **** gambling companies off.

Kinda reminds me of seeing the "Benson & Hedges" world series cricket as a little kid. Hopefully gambling companies get the same treatment that the cigarette giants copped in the 90s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football club finances / FFP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back