Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, not sure if I am down with that.

All in or nothing.

Got no problem with it myself. There's very little that a list manager would be doing on game day anyway - it's not you're going to pull up a player as they're running down the race and say "Oh, by the way Ash, can you sign here, initial here....". Besides, he'd be watching a lot (all) of the games.

Got no problem with it myself. There's very little that a list manager would be doing on game day anyway - it's not you're going to pull up a player as they're running down the race and say "Oh, by the way Ash, can you sign here, initial here....". Besides, he'd be watching a lot (all) of the games.

I think you are underselling the role of a list manager tbh ;)

Gubby was always a presence at ground level on game day, probably not in a list management capacity... but I'd like to build a committed focused team.

Craig Lambert is technically the player welfare manager but you always see him at training etc helping with drills etc.

I think you are underselling the role of a list manager tbh ;)

Gubby was always a presence at ground level on game day, probably not in a list management capacity... but I'd like to build a committed focused team.

Craig Lambert is technically the player welfare manager but you always see him at training etc helping with drills etc.

Yeah, but we all know Gubby wore a few different hats (even when he wasn't supposed to be). And it doesn't mean Lynchy wouldn't pop down to training. I just don't see much down side to freeing him up on game day, compared to the value you get by having him on board.

Yeah, but we all know Gubby wore a few different hats (even when he wasn't supposed to be). And it doesn't mean Lynchy wouldn't pop down to training. I just don't see much down side to freeing him up on game day, compared to the value you get by having him on board.

Yeah it's not a huge issue. Afterall, Mick Malthouse is doing part time commentary this year.

I'd just like to think people don't need massive sweeteners/concessions to jump on board the Lions.

I would be happy with Graeme Hadley running recruiting & Lynchy in charge of list & contract issues overall. GH has the runs on the board in recruiting. IMO it is a position that needs continuity and if he is happy, don't fix what ain't broke. I can see no reason that him & big Al will not be a great team.

As to Lynchy, he is a very cluey bloke and still a great clubman. If he feels comfortable with the arrangement, we would get nothing but the best. There could be advantages in having someone like that with outside activities & viewpoints.

Most important is Michael Voss. We have given him the responsibilities of the coaches job - sink or swim. Let him organise the football department as he wants, & with the personnel he wants.

I pretty much agree Bunton....I really don't care if our whole club is stacked with ex-premiership years people, be they players or admin...

My idea is that they know from those years, just what it takes to be successful again..

..and this is obviously if they are suited to the job e.g Lynchy....or our ex players on the coaching staff etc...

They know success...they love the club..

.....and they will also love Vossy!

I would be happy with Graeme Hadley running recruiting & Lynchy in charge of list & contract issues overall. GH has the runs on the board in recruiting. IMO it is a position that needs continuity and if he is happy, don't fix what ain't broke. I can see no reason that him & big Al will not be a great team.

As to Lynchy, he is a very cluey bloke and still a great clubman. If he feels comfortable with the arrangement, we would get nothing but the best. There could be advantages in having someone like that with outside activities & viewpoints.

Most important is Michael Voss. We have given him the responsibilities of the coaches job - sink or swim. Let him organise the football department as he wants, & with the personnel he wants.

Agreed. When Lethal came on board he revolutionised our football department.... and ultimately that helped to deliver 3 flags :thumbsu:

But we are in a different era now and Vossy has implemented a lot of change within the on field and off field structures. I've been really happy with the on field changes and this is another off field change I would be delighted to see come to fruition.

Well i think the sticking point for Lynchy is that in the last few years he has forged a great player managment as well as build his media career. He would have to be giving up his media career just as its gaining momentum to take the job, that would probably involve more hours and less money.

I have no problems with letting him off game day if he has media commitments. Means he is watching a lot of footy.

Where has he been coaching MR?

Don't worry I just googled it.

He was capt coach of Eastlakes in the Canberra comp for a few years and was this year appointed as the u15 development coach for ACT/South Coast.

Its a great opportunity for the young guy and hopefully he can develop some great talent for us. This could be a very big advantage for the club and a great avenue for Nathan.

Don't know whether it should go here or in his own player thread, but Adam Spackman, in his role as a reserves top-up, was KO'd today by a somewhat prolonged Tim Notting tackle that slammed him into the Gabba turf.

Hope yer OK, Spacky.

Link

THE Brisbane Lions have narrowed the search for a new football manager to three candidates after first choice Alastair Lynch withdrew from the race.

The Lions will, in the coming days, offer the job to either leading player agent Tom Petroro, Adelaide assistant coach David Noble or a third candidate whose identity is unknown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petroro would be a nice option. He has a reputation of being one of the more caring player agents out there.

Ex-player agents would be well versed in negotiation and would know all the tricks that are used come contract time.

And the winner is...Dr Rob Kerr. (Position is based in Melbourne)

Lions Appoint National Talent Manager

The Brisbane Lions have finalised their Football Department restructure following the appointment of Dr Rob Kerr as National Talent Manager - a newly created role within the Club.

Kerr will take this senior position within the Lions Football Department with key responsibilities including list management, player recruitment and retention, and the leadership of the newly formed Lions Academy.

He has also completed training in Advanced Negotiating Skills and is particularly noted for his successful negotiations with Federal and State Government bodies and Indigenous Sporting Communities.

Nice. Would be nice to see us be the shafter, rather than the shaftee in future trade scenarios.

After reading the whole article, he sounds like an impressive package.

What sort of Dr?

PhD.

Rob_bg.JPG

Some more info here.

Nice. Would be nice to see us be the shafter, rather than the shaftee in future trade scenarios.

After reading the whole article, he sounds like an impressive package.

Thanks...While reading article, I was starting to be a little concerned, thinking that all sounds well and good, but what has all that got to do with sport..

Very pleased to read the last paragraph....does sound like an impressive sort..

Thanks...While reading article, I was starting to be a little concerned, thinking that all sounds well and good, but what has all that got to do with sport..

Plenty of AFL experience too :D

Former head of the Player's Association plus was an assistant coach at Essendon for 2 years.

Really sounds like the perfect candidate.

Link

Triple premiership forward Craig McRae, lured back to the Gabba by Voss at the end of last season, is considering a return to the AFLQ where he made his name as state under-18s coach.

The odds of long-time assistant coaches Adrian Fletcher and Craig Lambert staying beyond this season are also drifting substantially.

Link

This is due to insiders claiming Voss has delegated too much power to his right hand man - the little-known Dan Collins - with club physiotherapist Nathan Carloss the latest in a long line of key off-field personnel to have departed the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Football Department Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back